• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The S27 PD...

TxTroubleMaker

Enlightened
Just got home and had a nice little surprise waiting for me. This is such a cool light, probably my favorite McLight to date. The crenelations on this head are noticeably shallower than the ones on the Aluminum S27 PD, although I can't decide on which one looks better. One thing I did notice is that the twisting action on this one is not nearly as smooth as my fat tailed PD from the May wave. Why that is I don't know, but it is noticeable.:shrug: Overall, Don has really out done himself with this light, the 27L head is just plain awesome! Now bring on the LunaSol's!:poke:

2069.jpg

Last edited:

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's not as smooth - the piston or the twisty head? If the head, it will smooth out over time. My Ti-27LT-S was the same way at first, but it's much smoother now. If you're talking about the piston, it may have a #016 silicone o-ring. It gives better water protection, but is slightly stiffer than the slightly smaller #015 alternative, which I prefer.

Sweet score! :thumbsup:

TxTroubleMaker

Enlightened
One thing I did notice is that the twisting action on this one is not nearly as smooth as my fat tailed PD from the May wave.

I know that they need to be broken in, but the twist action on the PD from May is smoother than this light. As a matter of fact, some one had commented on that when they had just received their light back in May. I don't know if they were machined differently or what, but one is definitely smoother than the other. Not a big deal, just an observation...

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Adding to Tx's comparisons between the two, I took a couple quick pictures of the (for lack of better words) "experimental" S27 head and the standard one...

Standard on left, "experimental" on right.

mg0010smew1.jpg

Standard on left, "experimental" on right.. and some junker light holdin' em up. :D

mg0013smjz1.jpg

:devil: Red Trit..

mg2543smyb5.jpg

As you can see from the second photo, the finish is slightly finer than the older one (besides my EDC marks ;)) - The tint on this one is very pure white, whereas the older S27-PD is a warmer vanilla white (preferable IMHO).

Thanks Don - very nice job with these.. not that I expected a junker! :)

john

Kiessling

Flashaholic
With all the ti around ... al is suddenly looking exotic and cool again ... :D :D

Nice pics there !!

Adding to Tx's comparisons between the two, I took a couple quick pictures of the (for lack of better words) "experimental" S27 head and the standard one...

Standard on left, "experimental" on right.

mg0010smew1.jpg

Standard on left, "experimental" on right.. and some junker light holdin' em up. :D

mg0013smjz1.jpg

John, these pics are outstanding for describing the difference in the bezel styles from Don's latest run. EricMack and I were just talking yesterday about the S27 PD's that we received from it. Mine is the more pronounced crenelation style (like the one on the left) and Eric's is the newer "experimental" version with virtually no crenelation (like the one on the right). Interesting.

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to say that I like the low profile crenelations. :naughty: I've already dubbed it "Stealth Crenelations" :devil:

I'll also add that machining fit and finish on this light is superb, the most perfectly finished light from Don ever! :bow::thumbsup:

knifebright

Enlightened
I'm really digging this experimental S27 !!!!!
In looking at the "quasi before and after" Pics i think the flutes on the experimental model may be deeper as well on mine. I'll have to compare it to my friends Pile-O-S27's some time soon and confirm or deny that.

here are my pics
IMG_1783.jpg

IMG_1788.jpg

and just for fun my McFamily Money Shot.
the only oddities here are my Mule Cx2 is a 611/125 high/low set up(I love tweakin!!!)

IMG_1790.jpg

I love the s-27 and my Mcfamily!!!
now its just a hold out for the LunaSol!
thanks for all your great work Don.
Jimmy

knifebright

Enlightened
Thx Tx
its the very first time they've been alltogether so I decided to take advantage of the shot before they all ran to there respected pockets/bags/car/jacket homes!
Even though its only lowly aluminum, i'm really really really diggin my new tacticool mounted Aleph19.
Jimmy

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
I am in Berkeley this week sorting out the old shop and putting one last shipment together to send off to Maui. I received the balance of the new S27 heads just before I left but I didn't have a chance to unpack them and see where the crenelation detail ended up of if there isn't some more variation from part to part. Because the crenelation is primarily a cosmetic issue as long as there is some crenelation there to provide light excape on head down orientation, I left the shop plenty lattitude. They planned to come up with the best solution based on edges and bur consideration. I believe the opted for the shallower cuts but I really don't know at this point. :shrug:

Since this new S27 head takes a different set of window O-rings, I am now thinking that it would have been best if all had been obviously different from the previous S27 heads to allow for identification. Duh! :eek:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
John, these pics are outstanding for describing the difference in the bezel styles from Don's latest run. EricMack and I were just talking yesterday about the S27 PD's that we received from it. Mine is the more pronounced crenelation style (like the one on the left) and Eric's is the newer "experimental" version with virtually no crenelation (like the one on the right). Interesting.

Thanks Troy! Did you happen to compare the.. umm.... butts on yours? I've got a skinny butt on the new S27-PD, and a fat butt on the old one. :shrug:

We're lucky these switches aren't made of rubber... PSM would be trying to see if the bigger butts smell different! :green:

john

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont' think it matters, John, I believe he sniffs o-rings, too!