Is there a multitool that isn't a nail-busting clunker?

DM51

Flashaholic
All the multitools I have seen are clunkers with lousy blades, a bunch of features you would never use, they're made of poor quality steel and you can't open any of the attachments without busting a fingernail.

As an alternative there is the mini SAK (the one with a blade, a file, tweezers and a pair of scissors). This is neat and better made, and it is easier to open, but even so the blade is very poor indeed.

Is there anything else worth considering?

turbodog

Flashaholic
The swiss army multitool is probably the finest I have seen for fit and finish. You can easily open the tools w/o ripping off a fingernail.

Some of the OLDER leatherman tools (the original series) are nice.

I've also had good luck with a gerber as well.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Victorinox Spirit and SwissTools are my favorites, but you may not like them.

If your fingernails are especially short or fragile, you can get a SOG PowerLock multitool. You can make the blades looser or tighter by adjusting the bolts on the side. Lowe's sells one version of the Powerlock with a belt cutter in place of a scissors.

CLHC

Flashaholic
There's the SOG line of multi-tools along with a barrage from Leatherman and Victorinox SAK. You may wish to try checking out the Beretta Pistol and Shotgun Tools which I didn't know they had. Even SeberTech SeberTools are another compacted tools to try out.

Enjoy!

GoingGear.com

Enlightened
The Leatherman Charge's main (locking) blades can be opened with one hand while the tool is closed, and the plain edge blade is 154CM. That's better than poor quality steel in my book.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the multitools I have seen are clunkers with lousy blades, a bunch of features you would never use, they're made of poor quality steel and you can't open any of the attachments without busting a fingernail.

You might consider the Buck Xtract:
http://www.rei.com/product/750976

Very decent blade, two screwdrivers, pliers, and can opener are all One-Hand-Opening.

All tools lock open.

Everything you commonly need and nothing you don't.

All tools instantly accessible without butterflying handles apart as is necessary with most multitools.

Available for around $30 at various places. REI's price on the Xtract is high.

cutlerylover

Banned
I have to say I was VERY impressed with every leatherman I ever handled and owned, and I still love my wave and micra...but fro what I hear victorinox has been makign soem nice multitools too...Alot of people like the gerbers too...Sounds to me you have yet to try a nice multitool...

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Victorinox Swisstool Spirit. Much better-made than recent Leathermen.
There are some new Wenger multitools coming out that will be worth checking out.

I have noticed that many of the more exotic steels seem considerably
more prone to rust than the steel on Swiss Army knives and multitools.

rust-monster.jpg

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
The Leatherman Charge's main (locking) blades can be opened with one hand while the tool is closed, and the plain edge blade is 154CM. That's better than poor quality steel in my book.

The latest Charge models have an S30V main blade.
Edit: I see that's just the TTi that has the S30V steel. The AL and ALX are 154CM.

Larry

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
Victorinox multitools are nice...but after mine went to the beach and back it no longer slides so smoothly...:ohgeez:

my craftsman's seen sand, oil, etc...still works well...except it wasnt smooth to begin with