Imalent        
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What lights your fire?

Default Re: What lights your fire?

Yeah the plexiglass ones look cool, but even the small ones from what I saw were $75...I found a guy on bladeforums who has a few machined aluminum ones for $65 shipped so I went with that...Ill post my review here when it arrives!

Well I got the fire piston today and I have ben playing with it all day...The char cloth is by far much easier to get lit than the tinder fungus I have, but I realize I have "false" tinder fungus otherwise known as shelf or hoof fungus, so its not as good as true tinder fungus which is found on birch trees...Also the tinder fungus I have is still damp from when I got it two days ago in the rain, so it could just be its not dry enough? I alos read that the inside of the pods on milkweed also make a good tinder for this fire piston...Anyway this thing is just plain fun to play with, and I already got a fire going with some char cloth...Here are some pics I took...

Thumbs up Re: What lights your fire?

Nice looking fire piston!
    BART

Thanks, I wanted a traditional one like buffalo horn or wood, but I am broke, like usual and needed to trade for one, I jhappen to have what Mike wanted on bladeforums, he makes these himself...He had 2 left but just sold them I think, $65 each shipped...But Im sure he will make more soon!

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=489104

Very nice CL. I like the pics. The glowing charcloth showed up very well.

Thanks, the charcloth I had was very thing and burned quickly so I needed to take the picture and still blow on it to get a good red amber...but I am making more char cloth myself soon out of a thick old t-shirt...

Flashaholic*

A little Ronson Varaflame:
    Thrrrrrrrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwww!!

Flashaholic*

Sorry, can't seem to get the "Go Advanced" mode to activate so I can post a Ronson pic....
    Thrrrrrrrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwww!!

Wink Re: What lights your fire?

Just put the url of the pic between these tags: [img][/img} (replace accolade with square bracket)
    BART

Flashaholic

I'll start a fire with a REDOX reaction ~

Potassium Permaganate + Glycerine =

you know the steel wool and 9V battery is a neat little trick...good to know in case your maybe stuck at home cause of a winter storm, and lets say theres no more matches in the house...no lighters to be found either, and too much snow to drive anywhere, but you have wood and a stove to burn it in, just no way of lighting the fire...well anyone who works with wod should have soem steel wool, and almost every single house has a smoke alarm that takes a 9V battey...this coud bail you out or you could just have fun with this to start a camp fire...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpJHK6voAhg

I'm planning on lighting our Shamash (for Hannukah) with a different method every night. I've used one of those little o-ringed survival lighters, a Zippo clone, and my Colibri Trident. Tomorrow, I'll light one of those little pencil torches with a flint and steel and use that. Maybe pre-lighting a bit of fire-stick and then using that would work out, and I haven't used a Bic yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3 View Post
    I'm planning on lighting our Shamash (for Hannukah) with a different method every night. I've used one of those little o-ringed survival lighters, a Zippo clone, and my Colibri Trident. Tomorrow, I'll light one of those little pencil torches with a flint and steel and use that. Maybe pre-lighting a bit of fire-stick and then using that would work out, and I haven't used a Bic yet.
    interesting....I am not sure when you are suppose to light it becasue I am not jewish, but if its during the day or even at night for that matter, I migh suggest trying to get a candle wick to light with a magnified glass in the sunlight...if your suppose to light it at night you cna keep the candle going all day...Just an idea..?

My new addiction...Just got this flint and steel today in the mail, and can't stop playing with it!!! Here is a short vid I made to share...

http://s131.photobucket.com/player.s...fs=1&os=1&ap=1

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234