Beamshot Shoot out - My New XeRay.

DiCEMAN

Newly Enlightened
The DiCEMAN XeRay 50W BeamShot Shootout July 2007.
This is in no way a detailed review.

It seems that this hobby really isn't good for the wallet at all. I'm sure many of you agree. However, as far as I know I have no kids which means I can sneak a purchase like this past the girlfriend with minimal fuss.....

Here it is - The XeRay 50W HID from DAN at Xevision.
Special thanks to Dan for all his help in getting this light to Australia in under a week.

As in my last Beamshot Shootout, I decided to use the same indoor / outdoor format. I know it's STUPID using the XeRay indoors but it does keep the shots in reference to the last ones.
For the outdoor shots, I added a Long Range shot and used the Boxer 24w HID as comparison. There are 2 Shoots - Indoor & Outdoor.
I used my living room, a bench and tree at the soccer oval accross the road and the goalposts at each end for a 100m Long Range shot.

All Photo's were taken on a Tripod with the light held 35cms below the Lens. For the Long Range shot, the light was 35cms above the lens.
Camera was the SONY DSC-P200 7MP Cybershot.

Indoor details -
Corner of room = 7 metres away
ISO=100
WB=Daylight
F=3.2
Shutter=1/2sec

Outdoor details -
Chair = 12 metres away
ISO=100
WB=Daylight
F=3.2
Shutter=2 seconds (3 Seconds long range)
Now for the photos you've all been waiting for......

Weapon of choice (You've seen the Boxer)
DSC03115_th.JPG

DSC03116_th.JPG

DSC03117_th.JPG

Inside Control Shot
DSC03073_th.JPG

XeRay - SPOT
DSC03104_th.JPG

XeRay - Flood
DSC03105_th.JPG

Wolf-Eyes Boxer 24W HID (3x168A) - SPOT
DSC03094_th.JPG

Wolf-Eyes Boxer 24W HID (3x168A) - WIDE
DSC03095_th.JPG

XeRay - SPOT
DSC03107_th.JPG

XeRay - Flood
DSC03108_th.JPG

LONG RANGE
Boxer - SPOT
DSC03109_th.JPG

Boxer - WIDE
DSC03110_th.JPG

XeRay - DIFFUSER LENS
DSC03112_th.JPG

XeRay - SPOT
DSC03113_th.JPG

XeRay - Flood
DSC03114_th.JPG

I LOVE all my lights and they each have a purpose. I'm really happy with this light and must contain the desire to find out what the 75W BB Upgrade looks like.
It's not too heavy, just over 2kgs, extremly well designed and built
and the road case and all accessories is awesome. Especially the ability
to run from an external power source.

If you want a BIG BANG light that really is Built well. You will LOVE this baby. Thanks again Dan, You've done a sensational job.

DiCEMAN:cool:

Last edited:

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Great shots Diceman, once again they are very nice and a good indication of the light's ability. I am just curious what the XeRay set you back? I love the look of the HID's in the long range photos. The XeRay looks a slightly different colour than the Boxer, is this the case in real life or is it exemplified in the photos? I just need to work out how to get a purchase of one of these past my new wife.........

Last edited:

KeeperSD

Enlightened
I think it would need more than good luck :grin2:

Just wondering if you could post a picture of the two lights next to each other, i can't say i have ever seen an XeRay before

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Seeing the size of each of the lights makes the beam from the Boxer even more impressive. The XeRay is one big rig isn't it

frogs3

Enlightened
I haven't had the chance to put the 50 and 75 W XeVisions next to each other, as I only own the BB version. My impression is that the difference is noticeable side-by-side, but less so if conditions are not held constant.

That having been said, I love my BB and use it as a walking light, being most careful not to let the 8000 or so lumens become a "nuisance" to neighbors, cars, other pedestrians or their pets. I find myself using a "hotwire" more often for short walks, as the 700-800 lumens is fine to identify the pavement cracks, low-lying branches, etc. that I want to notice before I hit them.

The XeVision is IMHO a really well balanced package, with fine runtime, dependability, and good ergonomics in my hand at least. I think you will find that there is not too much competition in this output range, and I don't find myself wishing for something else -- that exists at the present time.

Enjoy and thanks for the comparison shots,

HAK

Ericz23

Newly Enlightened
Don't forget to use sunblock when using that light!!!!:thumbsup:

PapikAldo

Newly Enlightened
Really, really impressive beamshots...
Excellent technical skills and what a light !!!
I said that you can almost swim on the 24W Boxer beamshot, so you can go scuba diving in that XeRay !!!
Where can I buy a XeRay in the USA ???
Do I have to "upgrade" it to a BarnBurner 75W or I can buy a 75W version ???
Congratulations on your XeRay and your superb pictures !!!

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Really, really impressive beamshots...
Excellent technical skills and what a light !!!
I said that you can almost swim on the 24W Boxer beamshot, so you can go scuba diving in that XeRay !!!
Where can I buy a XeRay in the USA ???
Do I have to "upgrade" it to a BarnBurner 75W or I can buy a 75W version ???
Congratulations on your XeRay and your superb pictures !!!

Xevision.com

Upgraded 75W BarnBurner version was a one time special item. One is currently for sale for a great price in CPF Marketplace. You won't see a brighter searchlight.

DiCEMAN

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Guys,

Yes, As LuxLuthor has mentioned, the 75W version isn't an off the shelf item.

I would LOVE to see one as another 3000 Lumens on top of mine is just scary:devil:.

Honestly though, If you look at the distance I got out of it here, I can't even see someone that far away with this.:)
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/166409

Good Luck.
DiCEMAN

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Up close, intense is just intense... whether from the 50W or the BB, but the distance shots is where the BB really shines!

It makes things seem much closer than they appeared with other lights.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Guys,
Honestly though, If you look at the distance I got out of it here, I can't even see someone that far away with this.:)
Good Luck.
DiCEMAN

I used to think that too, until I got the BB, it "appears" you can't see anyone that far, but lets think about it... .technically, you should be able to see someone just as far with a strong enough light, that you can in broad daylight?

I think thats why the BB seems to bring things closer, they "appear" farther away, until you hit them with enough lumens.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find myself using a "hotwire" more often for short walks, as the 700-800 lumens is fine to identify the pavement cracks, low-lying branches, etc. that I want to notice before I hit them.

I have to ask...this was meant to be funny, right? I guess I'm just ebing a bit dim, but I seem to remember people being able to walk around without banking into branches and tripping on sidewalks with a mere 65 lumen surefire...

Forget it, it was a joke...right...?

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Shots Dice! :thumbsup:

I have a question about your XeRay. What size battery is in, and how much runtime do you get? Thanks.

Last edited: