Most Infrared Emitting Spotlight

Hubbard

Newly Enlightened
I know this is probably against everything everyone stands for in this forum but I thought I would ask it anyways.

I am looking for the spotlight that gives off the MOST NIR(800-950nm). I looking to use this with an infrared filter and NightVision Scope.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
The most infrared emitting spotlight is a campfire!..

But seriously: Halogens like Thor do well in that region of the spectrum.
HID's do not because more energy is converted to visible light.

Regards,

Ra.

fletch31

Newly Enlightened
I dont know what the measurement is and have no way of finding out but the Sams Club HID when shined on my face indoors from 10 feet (with my eyes closed of course and covered with my hand) warms my face slightly. I would assume that is from IR. The glass window doesnt really get that warm though.

Hubbard

Newly Enlightened
My assumption would be that it would be an incandescent light that would give off the most IR.

Of the halogen spotlights is there a cheap one on the market to try out?

IMSabbel

Enlightened
I dont know what the measurement is and have no way of finding out but the Sams Club HID when shined on my face indoors from 10 feet (with my eyes closed of course and covered with my hand) warms my face slightly. I would assume that is from IR. The glass window doesnt really get that warm though.

Sorry, that seems to be a common, though silly missconception.

ALL light will feel warm, if you can get enough of it onto your skin (even x-rays...). Just because incands output 80% of their power in IR (and thus the guess "well, i feel the IR" has some kind of truth) doesnt mean thats true for everything.

Case in point: when driving my p0d ce with a fresh 10440 on high, i can feed the warmth of the beam, even though it has no IR at all.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can go through the LED Museum and look around... He has some pages under "[FONT=Verdana, Arial][FONT=Verdana, Arial]SPECTRA OF LEDS & OTHER SOURCES" [/FONT][/FONT]on the left navigation frame, as well as some lights he measures down into the ~600 nm range.

Craig may also run a test for you of a specific light--such as an HID (if he has it).

-Bill[FONT=Verdana, Arial][FONT=Verdana, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]

ddaadd

Enlightened
Search "tank light".......

AN/VSS-3A 1000w or AN/VSS-1 2200w short arc xenon hid....

Built in switchable on control panel for visible light or IR by way of a motorized filter......

IR should be visible to the range of the Vietnam era tank's main gun.....:huh:

( do not point at friendly forces inside 300yds )

Hubbard

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I'm kind looking for something portable.. Carrrying around a Tank Search Light with power supply would be a bit of a pain.

The filters that I would be using are actually from the Army Hummers.

But again looking for a portable spotlight which spits off as much IR as possible and ideally would be fairly cheap (<$100)

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Yeah I'm kind looking for something portable.. Carrrying around a Tank Search Light with power supply would be a bit of a pain.

The filters that I would be using are actually from the Army Hummers.

But again looking for a portable spotlight which spits off as much IR as possible and ideally would be fairly cheap (<$100)

Hmmm....<$100 makes it tough. So are you looking for something that ONLY puts out IR for night vision goggle/scope scenario? Otherwise following Ra's tongue-in-cheek response, a burning oil soakded rag torch on a stick would be under $100. Might be better to lay out your intended application?

Hubbard

Newly Enlightened
Sorry. I should have told the application.

It will be used for night vision on a Sony HandyCam to
take videos of animals.