How to open a Fenix P1 for modding (w/ pictures)

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
This pictorial shows how to open a Fenix P1 flashlight (to mod it with a Seoul P4 LED). Do not attempt this mod if you are not comfortable with your modding skills, or do not have the proper tools. I will not be held responsible for any damages to your light if you choose to do this modification based upon the information contained herein. Proceed at your own risk. ---This will void your warranty---

The tools and materials necessary for this mod are:

Strap wrenches (I got these from Lowe's)
Large rubber band, cut into two or three pieces
coffee mug warmer
Fine tipped pliers
Fenix P1 flashlight

Picture016.jpg

Remove the head, and place on the mug warmer.
Picture017.jpg

Wrap the rubber band around light in direction you will be turning strap wrenches.
Picture018.jpg

Tighten the strap wrench around the rubber band.
Picture019.jpg

Add the other strap wrench, in the opposite direction and use some muscle. Watch for slipping, and adjust as necessary. If at any time the parts do not yield, put them back on the heater for a few minutes.
Picture020.jpg

Success...but we're not done yet.
Picture021.jpg

Back to the mug warmer for a few minutes.
Picture022.jpg

Use the rubber band and strap wrench.
Picture023.jpg

Hold the head against a flat surface, and locate the notches in the light engine. Use the pliers in these notches, and flex your muscles again. If at any time the parts do not yield, put them back on the heater for a few minutes.
Picture024.jpg

Success...but we're not done yet.
Picture025.jpg

Now onto the reflector that has been warming. Use the rubber band and strap wrench...
Picture026.jpg

Now use the pliers in the holes in the reflector. Press against a hard surface to reduce the chance of slipping. If at any time the parts do not yield, put them back on the heater for a few minutes.
Picture027.jpg

Got it!
Picture028.jpg

And the reward for your hard work is a pile of parts that are ready for the next step. MODIFICATION!!!
Picture029.jpg

Soon to come: How to Seoul your P1.

Have fun!

datiLED

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Datiled, brilliant! This is a terrific presentation, from quality of the photos right down to specifics on the tools. The use of a mug warmer is inspired. Kudos on a great writeup! :thumbsup:

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Datiled, brilliant! This is a terrific presentation, from quality of the photos right down to specifics on the tools. The use of a mug warmer is inspired. Kudos on a great writeup! :thumbsup:

milkyspit,

Thank you for the kind words. Kudos from the mod master... I have arrived! :D

wintermute

Enlightened
Oh...sure...when I say how to do it 3 days ago...no one says anything - and I posted pics of the tools. :whistle:

Just kidding - I just talked about it - you actually did it and showed pictures of it. :nana:

I still stand behind the rubber heater hose tubing though. Stuff works like magic. :naughty:

Nice to see a step by step of the actual breakdown datiLED. Cheers! :thumbsup:

Now maybe nanotech17 will decide to finally open up his, I've been trying to convince him he can do it without killing the threads. Maybe this will give him the boost he needs. I will direct him to this thread.

Thanks again datiLED. :twothumbs

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks wintermute for the PM & the link to this tutorial - good job.
no doubt this and yours instructions are convincing enough for me to pop it open.
Thanks again.Time to order the tools :D

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh...sure...when I say how to do it 3 days ago...no one says anything - and I posted pics of the tools. :whistle:

Just kidding - I just talked about it - you actually did it and showed pictures of it. :nana:

I still stand behind the rubber heater hose tubing though. Stuff works like magic. :naughty:

Nice to see a step by step of the actual breakdown datiLED. Cheers! :thumbsup:

Now maybe nanotech17 will decide to finally open up his, I've been trying to convince him he can do it without killing the threads. Maybe this will give him the boost he needs. I will direct him to this thread.

Thanks again datiLED. :twothumbs

Okay wintermute, here's some sugar for ya...

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

kevinm

Enlightened
Do all the threads got the same direction? I've tried mine a couple of times. The lens holder comes off the head, but I can't seem to unscrew the reflector. Help!

Kevin

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do all the threads got the same direction? I've tried mine a couple of times. The lens holder comes off the head, but I can't seem to unscrew the reflector. Help!

Kevin

Yes, all threads are the standard direction. Left to loosen. I have had a few heads recently that were nearly impossible to open, too. I got the light engine out, but the reflectors are really stuck. Repeated heating cycles is the way to go.

Walterk

Enlightened
Great tutorial.
I used a butane torch carefully on my TK40, after I got impatient trying with boiling water. It ruined the surface coating of the reflector to a copper-like high gloss.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix P1 is still an awesome light after all these years. An XP-G2 would make it even better.
Surprisingly bright and throwy, and a damn handsome light. Even in stock form, it really is great after all this time!

As such, I'm thinking about trying an old, unused yellow-backed XR-E R2 in one of 'em just to get a few more lumens while keeping the original emitter/reflector relationship. Hopefully it'll be worthwhile.

As for the other... does the XP-G2 focus well with this thing?