Surefire L1: Post Your Serial No. and Clear or Frosted

Phredd

Enlightened
I've got #A02398 and it's frosted (stippled). It's surprising they would make two versions when it's first released.

Phredd

Last edited:

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few other data points culled from the thread above:

# A00027 - clear
# A00198 - frosted
# A00749 - clear
# A01912 - frosted
# A01930 - clear
# A01936 - clear

Last edited:

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
A00588 -- seems to be very very slightly frosted.

1) if I look at it straight on it just looks a little cloudy.

2) if I look at it about 30-45 degrees angled it looks slightly frosted.

exactly like this.... (borrowed picture)

bezels.jpg

Last edited:

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, what the heck...

A02796, slightly frosted.

I don't think there are two different versions out there -- merely better produced frostings. Considering how difficult it is to see the frosting on mine, I'm hypothesizing that some people claiming "clear" simply don't know what to look for. In my office, with fluorescent tubes providing lighting, it's pretty much impossible to see the frosting. At home, I have to find the right angle (something like 45 degrees for my viewing angle, with the light coming from the 45 deg opposite me.

Heck, it took me two days to realize that mine was frosted, and three to actually believe that it was in fact a TIR, not a reflector.

Last edited:

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elgarak, I am wondering some of the same things.

I'm also wondering if some of what's reported isn't due to some difference in how the TIR lenses are "frosted." For example, if they are individually processed (some kind of blasting process, for example?), rather than coming out of a die or mold frosted as part of the process of forming the lens, it is possible that some get more frosted than others, I suppose.

luigi

Enlightened
Frosted, clear, slightly frosted... What is this ?
Do you seriously think Surefire is making 3 different lens versions of the same light ? Why would they do that ?
Maybe we can also report "bright, very bright or awesome" to know the different brightness levels.

Luigi

ensile

Enlightened
what's the throw like on these things ? could the frosties be higher cree winners and they frost em to spill out the beam a bit or ??

Riddick

Newly Enlightened
# A00090 with a very slight cloudy appearance

The beam does seem to have yellowish cast to it, not like the blue/white of my 2nd gen L1 LuxIII. And the optic seems to reflect a lot of orange when held at certain angles especialy under the magnifying glass

I really like it a lot and I'm edc'n for the time being to see how well it works for me, so far A+, I really didn't expect anything less:laughing:

Xygen

Enlightened
A02017
Slightly frosted when looked at in a specific angle.
I think this specific angle is wanted. This smoothes only the light that comes out in this angle...

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I don't (think SF is making three different versions). Based on the serial numbers reported, I don't even think there are two versions. What I suspect is that there's some kind of process variation that results in differences from light to light (although I admit that would surprise me). Either that or people are just not seeing the frosting/hazing/whatever you want to call it.

Frosted, clear, slightly frosted... What is this ?
Do you seriously think Surefire is making 3 different lens versions of the same light ? Why would they do that ?
Maybe we can also report "bright, very bright or awesome" to know the different brightness levels.

Luigi

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I don't (think SF is making three different versions). Based on the serial numbers reported, I don't even think there are two versions. What I suspect is that there's some kind of process variation that results in differences from light to light (although I admit that would surprise me). Either that or people are just not seeing the frosting/hazing/whatever you want to call it.

Now, is there a link with the frosting and the L1 that have problems? ;) Maybe there are different batches, made at different places, and only some batch has the problems/frosting/clear/whatever.

Is there something like clear/frosted lenses with the E2L or they are only frosted on those (I think there is no report of clear lens with the E2L)?

Dobbler

Enlightened
Ah, what the heck...

A02796, slightly frosted.

I don't think there are two different versions out there -- merely better produced frostings. Considering how difficult it is to see the frosting on mine, I'm hypothesizing that some people claiming "clear" simply don't know what to look for. In my office, with fluorescent tubes providing lighting, it's pretty much impossible to see the frosting. At home, I have to find the right angle (something like 45 degrees for my viewing angle, with the light coming from the 45 deg opposite me.

Heck, it took me two days to realize that mine was frosted, and three to actually believe that it was in fact a TIR, not a reflector.

I've seen two lights side-by-side and there is a difference. I will try to get a photo (one light is not mine).

Last edited:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Food for thought: SF's serial numbers are no indication when the light is produced; SF doesn't use serial numbers that relate to production. The serial numbers are independent of production time, or place in production.

At least that's how I understand it.

-dan

chris1

Newly Enlightened
mine is A00009, the lens is somewhat frosted and I have had no issues with the light.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of mine started flickering on High a couple of days ago.
Cant be left on for more than 15 minutes.

Replacement is on the way :)

Benny

hnsn

Newly Enlightened
A00004 has very slight frosting, looks like the lens is somewhat dirty.