Could an LED bulb like this be brighter???

Sable

Enlightened
I'm going to assume - unless they're being driven absurdly hard - that those, at best, could be high-dispersion fog lamps. No way could they outperform standard lamps. If they ARE being driven absurdly hard, then they'll be burning out fast.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
Well, if you drive them really hard, i guess you could get 5-10 lumen out of a 5mm (smj)led.

But the problem is the complete lack of thermal management of this package:
First, 5mm leds arent made for lamps. All the heat has to go through the thick epoxy or the thin legs. While in this case the legs are shortened, nevertheless they dont go to a decent heatsink.
Second, there is way to little space between those leds, so they will heat each other up.

I doubt that package could output more than 100 lumen without degrading rather quickly...

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the store you hot linked the image (normally, considered an Internet No-No)--they are $99 a pair and intended for BMW "Angel Eyes" (little circle of light around headlamp) and not intended for use as regular head lamps...

From here ($199 of here), they say:
  • 6000K Color = PURE WHITE Fits any BMW with OE Angel Eyes
  • 36000mcd
  • 100000 Hour Life Span - 10+ years of regular usage and more
Otherwise, pretty much what the other folks have said (not bright, probably not long life). Might look nice in a BMW. Probably won't get you in trouble with the cops for illegal lights (would any cop care about the "angel eyes"?).

-Bill

Last edited:

mds82

Enlightened
Sorry for Hotlinking the image, my mistake.

Yes other people posted links, but those are not the same product, i am only asking about that one individual bulb, not any other type of product sold by the same company. These bulbs are used in a different car / different application then anything else before.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not quite sure what you are saying?

The Store Link I posted lists the bulb and name "Predator ICE", and the "click to enlarge" link goes to the picture you are showing...

Searching for "Predator ICE" brings up (what appears to be) the same product in the same application.

Are you talking about a different product and/or application?

-Bill