Best CR2 Light??

onthebeam

Enlightened
I'm a fan of small CR2 lights. What's your advice on the best now available with either a CREE of Seoul emitter? I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on boutique lights if possible and would hope to stay under $100.

Why so few choices out there?? I think this size battery would be an ideal market opportunity for the right company to make a well-priced, very small multi-stage light.

Last edited:

x923x

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if it's the best CR2 light but for the price, the DX's Mini-Clicky is definitely a strong contender for a nice cheap CR2 EDC torch.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4201

Here it is with my Orb Raw Ti and Aluminum Bronze Ion (Ti Ion coming in a few days!) I swapped out the rubber clicky cover with an extra red one that came with a Rexlight 2.0 I had. The stock black clicky cover mine came with felt weird to me...almost like a brittle rubber feel. I also had an extra Fenix P1 holster sitting around and it fits it like a glove.

CR2.jpg

CR2a.jpg

CR2b.jpg

phypaa

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if it's the best CR2 light but for the price, the DX's Mini-Clicky is definitely a strong contender for a nice cheap CR2 EDC torch.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4201

Here it is with my Orb Raw Ti and Aluminum Bronze Ion (Ti Ion coming in a few days!) I swapped out the rubber clicky cover with an extra red one that came with a Rexlight 2.0 I had. The stock black clicky cover mine came with felt weird to me...almost like a brittle rubber feel. I also had an extra Fenix P1 holster sitting around and it fits it like a glove.

CR2.jpg

CR2a.jpg

CR2b.jpg
Hey, any beam shots?

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its not the smallest of the CR2 lights, but I like my Peak Pacific with a CR2 body and momentary switch. I'd imagine the pocket body would be a bit smaller. Its a great light though. Very well made, and it has a wonderful beam for a small utility light. Its about $50 for it with the seoul emittor. For less than $100 you could add a couple boddies to it like the AA or AAA and you'd have a very versital light.

Nick

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Lux III Orb raw and the DX Mini-Clicky as above^^^^. Both great for different reasons.

The Orb is a work of art, has two stage low/high switching, which I find very useful.

The DX Mini-Clicky mega bright due to the Cree LED and cheap as chips !

The new Orb raws come fitted with a Cree as standard, which is what I'm saving up for later in the year, in the mean time I'm happy playing with the DX Mini-Clicky.

phypaa - How did you get the switch out of the DX Mini-Clicky to change the rubber boot????
I was just wondering if it is possible to fit a new 2 stage switch, DX have a range of switches now, but I've no idea what lights they will fit !

x923x

Newly Enlightened
How did you get the switch out of the DX Mini-Clicky to change the rubber boot????
I was just wondering if it is possible to fit a new 2 stage switch, DX have a range of switches now, but I've no idea what lights they will fit !

There is a retainer ring with two holes in the tail piece that you have to unscrew (i used the end of a big sewing needle my wife had). Once the ring is out, the clicky switch should pop out by pressing on the rubber boot.

clicky.jpg

I tried to do some beam shots but my cheapo point and shoot camera along with my life long track record of taking horrible pictures is just a bad combination. :help:

arty

Enlightened
I like the Peak Pacific in CR2 format. It is only 6 cm long and the head is .75", while the body is .7" - a nice compact light. I have one in HP in aluminum, and a second in an ultra power in brass. I'd recommend one in either format. It is very light in aluminum (HA) and classy in brass, with smooth twistie action. The ultra version puts out about 400 cp in luxeon, and the Seoul version should do even better - with longer runtime.

You can also get AA bodies for them. I don't like the AAA body, but recommend the AA in addition to the CR2. The AA gives you long runtime, and the CR2 is nice and small. It is about 1/4" longer than the Ion at 1/3 the price.

TeK

Newly Enlightened
I'm currently using the Ultrafire WF-606B which has a smaller head than the WF-606A. I'm very happy with it because it's so small but the downside is always the runtime with CR2 cells.

This is out of the scope of this thread but I've placed an order for the Ultrafire WF-C6 which takes RCR123A cells and it is only 5mm longer than the 606B. This should be a better compromise of size vs. runtime.

Kazmo

Newly Enlightened
I'm also using DX's CR2 tailcrickie, and replaced rubber cap to Red one.
And NiteIze's Mini-Mag clip fits pefectly with my ProTec helmet!

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
This is out of the scope of this thread but I've placed an order for the Ultrafire WF-C6 which takes RCR123A cells and it is only 5mm longer than the 606B. This should be a better compromise of size vs. runtime.

Just looked at this. Looks really nice with the SS casing and although
it takes CR123 size cells, as you say its the size of many CR2 lights.

I'd be very interested in what you think, once you've received it. :)

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Luxogen LR12 is one of my favorite lights. The HAIII on Luxogens is quite strong too, and the color is nice. It comes stock with a LuxIII, but I swapped it out for a SSC P4 and damn it's bright! Not too tight focused, but still has good throw. Spill is very bright too. If you can find a Luxogen version original sold by Waion, those are the best made. The versions branded Luxogen and Smartfire sold by DX, Kai, QCG, and others aren't as well made, but still decent. And swapping the LED is easy.

I've been eyeing that DX CR2 clicky for some time now. For those who own one, how is the machining and build quality? Can anyone take pics of it taken apart to see the LED module, threads, etc.?

TeK

Newly Enlightened
Just looked at this. Looks really nice with the SS casing and although
it takes CR123 size cells, as you say its the size of many CR2 lights.

I'd be very interested in what you think, once you've received it. :)

Yeah, from the pictures it seems to be a pretty sexy light. I will report when I get it but it will take about 2 weeks for it to arrive at my doorstep.

As a reference, my WF-606B (with a CR2 cell) is 5.87cm long, my DX clicky is 7.04cm long and according to DX, the WF-C6 is 6.37cm long. Of course, it's not fair to compare a clicky to twisties...

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak's Pacific with CR2 Pocket Body either in High Power or Standard Power (Extra Long Runtime) is a good option, considering Made in USA and one of the Best Machining + Anodizing :)

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak's Pacific with CR2 Pocket Body either in High Power or Standard Power (Extra Long Runtime) is a good option, considering Made in USA and one of the Best Machining + Anodizing :)
+1 on the Pacific. I have one in brass with AAA,AA and CR2 bodies although it's Luxeon its still very nice. Also have a SS Pacific w AA
body. They are heavy but nearly indestuctible. Orbs are very nice as well, I have a RAW and a polished NS. Hope to convert them to Seoul emitters.

Last edited: