Looks impressive

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
impressive?
K2 is old technology. i would also be concerned the glowing tailcap would always be draining the batteries. might want to look at a cree or seoul based light. if you want a nice bright 3xAAA light buy a modded coast focusing led-lenser from flashkat, or one of the dealextreme lights to save cash.

o0o

Enlightened
impressive?
K2 is old technology. i would also be concerned the glowing tailcap would always be draining the batteries. might want to look at a cree or seoul based light. if you want a nice bright 3xAAA light buy a modded coast focusing led-lenser from flashkat, or one of the dealextreme lights to save cash.

Already have several Cree lights including the new SF L1.

I've had a Coast before, and hated the optics it used. Wouldn't buy Coast again, unless its a reflector based model.

I will look at other 3AAA options. I'd like something that can drain batteries that no longer power up my SL Argo (which won't power up even with batteries at 80% power). Because the Argo starts on high, if it is out of regulation on high it automatically shuts off a split second after turning on--too quick to switch to medium. Kind of a bad design, since you cannot switch to medium or low easily once high is out of regulation.

Has to be Luxeon or Cree. Hate Nicheas (sp?).

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing wrong with K2, IMO - I've got a couple and find them just as appealing as my Seoul lights, for the most part..

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
impressive?

K2 is indeed old technology. But I find it pretty good still for flashlight applications. It is certainly better than the Luxeon 1watt and 3watt which are just flooding the mainstream consumer market right now.

One thing I really like is K2's max light output is pretty high (around 80 to 120 lumens). It's low output puts it around 20 lumens. At 20 lumens, my RR K2 3AA headlight runs for 20+ hours (2500 NiMH). Now that's pretty good runtime. How many manistream (available in stores) lights with 20 lumen output can claim 20+ hour runtime and at the same time can spit out 80+ lumens if needed on demand. I like that option.

Definitely, Cree is the best at the moment but the K2 ain't that bad. Since the Cree isn't really that widely available in brick and mortar stores right now, the K2 is probably the best LED available on the mainstream market, in terms of light output.

Last edited:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Newer isn't always better, but that way of thinking spoils a lot of discussion and enthusiasm for the hobby.

That looks like a cool light; if you like it, buy it...

--dan