SL Enduro, a copy from RR 0.5W?

supes

Enlightened
Went to Fry's to get a Nite Ize clip thing for my Maglite and saw some stuff I haven't seen before. There was a Streamlight pen-shaped light that used 3N, too bad it was N cells. Would have it got it for its nice size. Then, a Streamlight Enduro caught my eye. Mainly for its small size, around PT Quad dimensions excluding the bigger reflector. This light:
-uses 2 AAA batteries
-metal ish reflector, can screw out
-2 modes, LOW and HIGH
-light weight, adjustable angle , vertical and horizonal strap
-price was $14.99 plus tax

Good for indoor navigation, reading, bathroom use, tent use, very limited outdoor use, imho.

The beam quality is nice, with sufficent spill and concentrated center, reminds me of an adjustable for throw Maglite beam, much cleaner and artifact free. Tint is on the blue side, not angry though but wish it was whiter..similar to my PT Quad..

Just browsing the FL site, this looks like a Streamlight copy of the River Rock 0.5w headlamp. The design is identical from the battery placement to the strap layout to the LED. Never seen the River Rock headlamp at Target in person but this looks like its twin brother.

Sorry no pics, only got a camera phone.
http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=75

Good backup for car kits when you need hands free. Ok for $15 dollars, although if I knew what I knew about the light now, I would have only bought it if it was on sale. I wonder how it would run on a Lux I or Cree/SSC LED?

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then, a Streamlight Enduro caught my eye....Good backup for car kits when you need hands free. Ok for $15 dollars, although if I knew what I knew about the light now, I would have only bought it if it was on sale. I wonder how it would run on a Lux I or Cree/SSC LED?

I agree that the SL Enduro is a great little bargain headlamp. Bright enough for many outdoor situations and great for backpacking use because of its light weight and long runtime on standard alkaline cells. Good to use around the house and for quick trips out into the yard when you need both hands free. Makes a great automotive trouble light: load with two lithium AAAs, toss it in the trunk, then forget about it until needed. Get one for each vehicle and another for inside the house.

For quite some time it was the 'best bang for the buck' headlamp available, bar none. The new 1AA headlamp from Ray-O-Vac may be a challenging Enduro's reign as king of value priced headlamps.

maxilux

Enlightened
Yes, i think you are right, the Sl is the same light as the RR, but it is a great lightweight Headlamp. But i don`t know who is the real manufactor of these light. Does RR make lights self? I think the come from China, on the Sl Light there is a little button "Made in China".

fishx65

Enlightened
Was thinking the same thing as Ringzero as I was reading this thread. The Rayovac 1 AA Lux should be the new cheapo headlamp champ.

supes

Enlightened
Doh! If only I read the Rayovac 1 AA Lux headlamp review before I bought this, could have saved me $15 bucks. You guys just showed me that light, and I'm IMPRESSED, 1AA? I'm going to Walmart right now........

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just browsing the FL site, this looks like a Streamlight copy of the River Rock 0.5w headlamp. The design is identical from the battery placement to the strap layout to the LED.

since the SL Enduro was around before the RR, i would phrase it differently, viz. the RR is a copy of the SL!!

at least, i believe this is correct. i've had a SL Enduro for quite a while now (well over a year i believe - i think it came out in '05, or perhaps early '06, but i'm not certain any longer when i purchased mine - it was within a week of SL's initial introduction of them in the USA.).

actually, both are probably made by the same manufacturer, maybe in China? don't know just guessing on this last point.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I'd definitely recommend passing on the RR or Enduro and pickup the Rayovac 1AA headlamp at Wal-Mart. Pure white output on the Rayovac compared to the angry blue light of the Enduro or RR headlamp. Plus, you get 2 Red LED's and 1 Blue LED with the Rayovac unit, along with a flip over diffuser to turn the Lux into a floodlight.

Last edited: