Foxfury Breakthrough
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exploding Batteries

Default Exploding Batteries

Howdy,

I am interested in exploding batteries, and I would be happy to search for threads....

But, I keep getting an error message, and so the search function is not working for me....

If you could be so kind as to post some links, etc.....

Marion

Default Re: Exploding Batteries

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ight=exploding

there are too many thread about batts. explosions.
    here you are the link with search: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...archid=2572243
    I don't know if you can read it...

I recive the same error message if I search :" batteries explosions"
    don't know why

good reading...LOL

All of those threads are excellent and provide many hours of interesting reading. For simplicity sake though I think we should have a simple list of dos and don'ts of battery safety. Someone with far more experience than me should compile this list. Perhaps it already exists and I just haven't found it.

After reading those threads I am afraid to go near my flashlights!!!!!!!!!!
    "The Constitution says promote the the general welfare not provide welfare." -Allen West-
    To a democrat freedom means freedom from responsibility.

Senna, I think that is an excellent suggestion...but it would take someone of 'impeachable' authority and experience such as Buchmann (of Battery University) to do it....but under the kind of scrutiny and expertise that you see on this forum, it would be hard to list all the "do's and don'ts" that would cover all the relevant nuances, and have it stand on its own merits.

Remember that REPORTED battery explosions are still exceedingly rare. While there was just a post about Milwaukee Tools recalling NiCad packs, I think the biggest concern is over the dangers of Lithium Cobalt Ion (& RC 'LiPo') batteries because of the explosive/fire/thermal runaway potential.

After all the reading and posting I have done about Lithium cells (which I ONLY started doing in ernest this spring)....I think the biggest danger lies with using UNPROTECTED cells, especially IN SERIES, and ESPECIALLY IF CHARGING IN SERIES & EVEN MORE SO WITH CHARGERS THAT DO NOT TERMINATE CURRENT ONCE CELLS REACH 4.15 TO 4.2 VOLTS.

Other simple guidelines that are more geared to Lithium cells are:
    • Always use Protected Li-Ion cells. At least follow this until you have spent the time reading about, and have had some experience using Li-Ion cells. If you then use Unprotected cells, make sure you check voltages before and after charging, and follow other sensible precautions commensurate with their lack of protection circuits.
    • Stop using a light when you first notice dimming.
    • Understand the pro's and con's, and workings of your charger.
    • Attend to the charging. Do not succumb to the Ron Popille Rotisserie: "Set It and Forget It" strategy when charging Lithiums....or do it somewhere (fireplace/outside) where nothing gets harmed if you do forget. Tom (SilverFox) has said many times that if he has to go run an errand, he unplugs the chargers and restarts when he gets back.
    • Charge in an area that maximizes safety if something goes wrong. If you do not have a garage or fireplace, at least get some bricks to place batteries on, and have some some kind of ventilation available.
    Many common fire extinguishers will not work with a Lithium metal fire, nor do you want to stand around in a moment of panic trying to figure out what to do, or breathing in the fumes--so have your sand/water/appropriate fire extinguisher sitting nearby.

My strategy during warmer weather is to charge in the garage on concrete after removing all flammables, and in the event of problem, pull the charger cord from wall and hit the garage opener door as I exit.
    These are just a few things off the top of my head, and compared to the many experts in the field of batteries, some of whom are members here....I am a hapless beginner noob. Once you have spent the time reading, using, and watching your cells, you develop confidence....but like hazards of guns or electricity, assuming Lithium batteries are just like your good old Alkaline cells is not a good way to start out. Once you have spent some time learning about guns or electricity you develop confidence, but also you learn the importance of safety measures that the beginner may not appreciate. Same with Lithiums.

Fortunately, there are new Lithium Ion technologies that are virtually eliminating these fire/explosion/thermal runaway issues.... AW has already come out with a Saphion type of Lithium Ferrous Phosphate cell, and will likely move to include that new safe technology in other cell sizes we all want.
    Last edited by LuxLuthor; 07-21-2007 at 05:18 PM.

if your a cr123a powered flashlight user...

INVEST IN A ZTS TESTER!

it could save your life!

ZTS tester states 3V lithiums, can it perform tests on 3.7 rechargeables safely?
    SF M6-R85 M3 G2D FYL G2ZL E1L McGizmo HA PD-S Ti Mule-PD BB Haiku-XP-G Inova X1
    (My Collection)

Quote Originally Posted by jumpstat View Post
    ZTS tester states 3V lithiums, can it perform tests on 3.7 rechargeables safely?
    on the normal ZTS, not on the mini....http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?...OD&ProdID=1793

but its only good for RCR123A, 18500, 17650, 18650

Quote Originally Posted by jumpstat View Post
    Yes, depending on the model. Just did some tests on them today using the ZTS MBT-1 (available from Lighthound.com - a better price than some other OnLine Retailers).

Quote Originally Posted by LuxLuthor View Post
    Many common fire extinguishers will not work with a Lithium metal fire, nor do you want to stand around in a moment of panic trying to figure out what to do, or breathing in the fumes--so have your sand/water/appropriate fire extinguisher sitting nearby.
    Water is not a good fire management option for lithium batteries. It's simply not effective on lithium fires.

Further, in the event of batteries igniting while under charge, there's also 110v in the charger to worry about. Don't even think about throwing water on a burning charger unless the charger has been unplugged first.

Use a bucket of dry sand or, if no 110v power is present, a class D fire extinguisher rated for lithium.

Quote Originally Posted by enLIGHTenment View Post
    Water is not a good fire management option for lithium batteries. It's simply not effective on lithium fires.

Further, in the event of batteries igniting while under charge, there's also 110v in the charger to worry about. Don't even think about throwing water on a burning charger unless the charger has been unplugged first.

Use a bucket of dry sand or, if no 110v power is present, a class D fire extinguisher rated for lithium.
    I made that all quite clear in my last bullet 2nd paragraph post. The water is in case there is a fire that spreads to fabric, wood, or some secondary item that may be burning. I never said to throw it on the charger or Lithium batteries.

Like I started out saying, anyone who tried to make a list of safety items...if they forgot to make sure and say to unplug the charger first before contemplating using water for any other secondary burning fire their post would get picked apart....so it's a pretty hopeless idea unless you are someone like Buchmann and post it as a fixed HTML page.

Good Luck, Senna, and keep reading.

class D is a lab grade fire extinguisher and you need a license for it....as its contents are not exactly safe to handle either...

fighting metal fires is basically poison against poison

Silver Moderator

If I might offer a small point of clairification...

Batteries don't explode... They rapidly vent, sometimes accompanied by flame.

Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    If I might offer a small point of clairification...

Batteries don't explode... They rapidly vent, sometimes accompanied by flame.

Tom
    oh...might want to look back on some pictures...cells that eject entire guts isn't just venting...its stark raving mad and exploding like a bullet in one direction

I suppose its debatable

Quote Originally Posted by Illum_the_nation View Post
    if your a cr123a powered flashlight user...

INVEST IN A ZTS TESTER!

it could save your life!
    So,if you use a ZTS tester and match remaining capacity of like cells and also use a volt meter to make sure they have the same voltage you should be safe, correct????
    "The Constitution says promote the the general welfare not provide welfare." -Allen West-

Info on my site, with additional links at the bottom of the page.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/123burst.htm
    Archive of the Original FlashlightReviews.com ::::: The default position on any claim is disbelief until credible evidence is presented.

Thanks for the link and info Quickbeam. Clear concise and logical suggestions that will dramatically reduce the chances of having a problem with 123 cells.
    As stated on your site there is no way of reducing the risk 100%,but a few simple steps can greatly reduce the odds of that happening.

Thanks!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by senna94 View Post
    So,if you use a ZTS tester and match remaining capacity of like cells and also use a volt meter to make sure they have the same voltage you should be safe, correct????
    if you would prefer yes...just don't set the tolerances too high

I just use the ZTS alone, theres always one cell in a box of surefires that will give me multiple readings, that cell would be for a single celled light

EDIT:
    I PMed Quickbeam about the hazard on draining down cr123as and I was told after numerous full cycle tests including draining cr123As to exhaustion for runtime purposes and has never ran into an explosion
    Last edited by Illum; 07-22-2007 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quickbeam View Post
    Info on my site, with additional links at the bottom of the page.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/123burst.htm
    QB,

i just want to say how much your website was, and though not adding new reviews at this time, still is appreciated by the Light/Ultralight backpacking community. We've referred to your website for a few years now as the final court of appeal in all matters related to lighting. Great job!

Thank you for your years of service, much time, and great effort you put into your FLR website.

Many thanks.

Au Re: Exploding Batteries

heres another link to add, this was from today
    My Aleph 1 Exploded and cought on fire.

As far as I can tell, the ZTS is basically a conveniently packaged load tester. It puts a resistive load across the battery and then lights LED's corresponding to set voltage points. A handy gadget if you want to sort a lot of batteries in a hurry, but you can do the same thing with a load resistor and your existing voltmeter if you want to save yourself some cash at the expense of some convenience.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by LuxLuthor View Post
    My strategy during warmer weather is to charge in the garage on concrete after removing all flammables, and in the event of problem, pull the charger cord from wall and hit the garage opener door as I exit.
    I would like to give a big WARNING NOT TO CHARGE LITHIUM CELLS ON CONCRETE unless there are zero flammable items nearby...

Concrete "spalls" when exposed to high/concentrated heat... Spalling is when little chunks of concrete are sent flying (as if from a small explosive charge) from the differential heating of the concrete. A small amount of lithium could easily be sent flaming 3-4 feet straight up or sideways (larger amounts--don't I don't know how far--probably lots of variables)...

Ask how I know? As kids, my Dad would sometimes bring magnesium home for use to "play with". One day I did this on the concrete steps and had a very pretty pyrotechnic display from shooting concrete and flying/burning magnesium.

-Bill

Senna, my previous posts here were more directed at rechargeable Lithium Ion cells. If all you are really asking about is disposable, small 123a cells....that is in another category.

[Humor] In reading the recent Barefootone 'event' I'm hoping people from this thread will ask him to correct the subject from "exposion" to a more benign "venting" and point out that it is a good thing he did not throw any water near the light, how he should have had a Class D fire extinguisher, not breathe or touched anything, and remind him how rare it is to be struck by lightning, have a meteor come crashing through his house, or have his computer monitor burst into flames....in other words, for him not to worry as long as he has the: "One ZTS 'ring' to rule them all" [/Humor]

Ya gotta love the irony.
    Last edited by LuxLuthor; 07-22-2007 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    I would like to give a big WARNING NOT TO CHARGE LITHIUM CELLS ON CONCRETE unless there are zero flammable items nearby...

Concrete "spalls" when exposed to high/concentrated heat... Spalling is when little chunks of concrete are sent flying (as if from a small explosive charge) from the differential heating of the concrete. A small amount of lithium could easily be sent flaming 3-4 feet straight up or sideways (larger amounts--don't I don't know how far--probably lots of variables)...

Ask how I know? As kids, my Dad would sometimes bring magnesium home for use to "play with". One day I did this on the concrete steps and had a very pretty pyrotechnic display from shooting concrete and flying/burning magnesium.

-Bill
    See, now that is some new, and interesting information that I had never heard of before. I never even have heard of the word "spalls" before, so thanks, Bill

I make sure to remove all flammables from my garage floor (or use the fireplace), but now I suppose if this information is considered you almost would need to charge insiide a LipoSack, or on a small box of sand. At some point dumping the Lithium Cobalt for the new Saphion (LiFeSO4/Emoli/A123) technology in various Li-Ion sizes cannot get here fast enough.
    Last edited by LuxLuthor; 07-22-2007 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marion David Poff View Post
    Howdy,

I am interested in exploding batteries, and I would be happy to search for threads....

But, I keep getting an error message, and so the search function is not working for me....

If you could be so kind as to post some links, etc.....

Marion

This should keep you busy for awhile:

G2 explosion by Kumar 762
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=140755

more on the G2 explosion *PICS*
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=140717

Cyclops Flashlight Explosion
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=122500

Primary Lithium battery explodes!
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/show...3&page=1&pp=30

CR123A meltdown in PM6: What happened?
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ad.php?t=91245

ROAR of the Pelican (CR123 Explosion during use, firsthand account)
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...8&page=1&pp=30

A Little Accident. W/123\'s and a Peli. M6
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ead.php?t=78843

Battery exploded in flashlight
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ad.php?t=114455

Accident w/Amondotech 123s and SF M2 Detonator G&P Tailcap Chop KL3 Head!
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...9&page=1&pp=30

Flash Amp Testing
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ad.php?t=28692

Battery explosion with Fenix P1D

My Aleph 1 Exploded and cought on fire.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=170187

123 Primary Lithium cell info/testing/links

Safety Concern Re: Lithium Multicurrent Universal Fast Smart Charger.
    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=157673

Bill

-deleted-
    Last edited by g36pilot; 07-23-2007 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Double Post

Here are a few more:

Li Battery Venting Incidents:

http://www.batteriesdigest.com/id396.htm 1999 LAX/TSA flashlight “explosion”
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=120888&page=1&pp=30 Original Incident Post PM6 w/BS 123s
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=141137&page=1&pp=30 CR123 Electrolyte Fume Exposure Incident
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=78843 Another PM6 incident
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91245 Another documented venting incident with Pelican PM6 flashlight
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1460697&postcount=478PM6 w/SF123
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1461982&postcount=490 Same as above
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1485475&postcount=613 BS battery venting in PM6 during test with 60/100 capacities.
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1485564&postcount=614 Photos of vented BS battery in PM6 during test with 60/100 capacities.
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1487003&postcount=626 PM6 vents 3 for 3 in testing
    http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/pelican_m6.htm Pelican PM6 info
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1364309&postcount=1 SL Scorpion w/Panasonic 123s Venting
    http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=132932&st=0&p=2223457&#entry22 23457 SF 9P w/unknown CR123s venting w/ injury
    http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:VrZlo5l-ilwJ:glocktalk.com/sitemap/topic/352933-1.html+surefire+flashlight+exploded+lithium&hl=en& gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=25 Maxfire LX w/Chinese 123s
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=122500 Cyclops flashlight w/Cyclops batts explode
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=122500&page=1&pp=30 Cyclops incident thread
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=121303 Li AA explodes
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1535329&postcount=1Amondotech 123’s vent
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=169038 Chinese PW Powerstation CR?123 in PD1 venting
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1536209&postcount=38 Mod’d light/AmondoTech CR123s
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=157900 WE 6v w/BS 123’s
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls04/browning.html Browning flashlight recall (2 reports)
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls04/dorcy.html Dorcy recall w/house fire reported
    http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml03/03195.htmlA&T Fuji Power CR123A Recall (5 venting incidents reported)
    http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/fire/reports/face9939.html AED explosion w/injuries
    http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?&threadid=537333 Ledwav Z5 weapon light incident
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=71161 CR123 systems banned from nuclear power plant after fire.
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1529062#post1529062Defective Chinese light on Air Canada
    http://www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/guntalk/config.pl?noframes;read=25245 Aimshot Xenon Illuminator model TX-125 weapon light meltdown
    http://www.xanga.com/Cr0c0/490345068/item.html Japanese blog/venting incident
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=170187 Aleph 1 w/BS CR123’s vent/explode

Material Safety Data Sheets & Other Chemistry Data:

HF: HydroFluric Acid
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrofluoric_acid HF data
    http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic804.htm HF data
    http://www.bu.edu/es/labsafety/ESMSDSs/MSHydFluoricAcid.html#anchor888417 HF MSDS
    http://www.gpbatteries.com.hk/pic/MSDS_PhotoLithum.pdf GP MSDS
    http://www.septechnologies.biz/battery/products/manufactures/sanyo/spec_sheet/sanyo_lithium_msds.pdf Sanyo Li Battery MSDS Data
    http://www.seabird.com/pdf_documents/msds_sheets/Saft_3.6VLithiumAA.pdf MSDS/PSDS Li-SOCl2
    http://www.gfschemicals.com/Search/MSDS/2534MSDS.PDF Li HexaFl
    http://www.duracell.com/oem/safety/pdf/2003_5C.pdf Duracell MSDS
    http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/globalcitizenship/environment/pdf/msds_lg_liion.pdf LG18650 MSDS
    http://www.batteryspace.com/prod-specs/MSDSLiion.pdfBatteryspace MSDS w/HF warning

Technical Data:

http://www.duracell.com/procell/chemistries/lithium.asp# Duracell Batt Construction Pictorial
    http://www.duracell.com/oem/primary/Lithium/safety.asp#underwriters Duracell Safety and Reliability, UL Testing
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1389277 CR123 disected
    http://www.duracell.com/Procell/pdf/Li123_US_OS.pdf Duracell 123 Engineering Data Sheet
    http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/123.pdf Energizer 123 Engineering Data Sheet

Government & Industry Reports:

http://www.iata.org/NR/ContentConnector/CS2000/SiteInterface/sites/whatwedo/dangerousgoods/file/US_DOT_HM224E_Lithium_Battery_Ban.pdf Federal Register Vol. 69, No. 240 December 15, 2004
    http://www.wrf.com/docs/publications/12574.pdf Li-Ion Batteries In Transport
    http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAPAP2003_04.PDF Dealing w/inflight lithium battery fires
    http://www.mobilit.fgov.be/data/aero/FAALiBaFiRe.pdf DOT Flammability Assessment CR123s
    http://www.ntsb.gov/events/2006/PhiladelphiaPA/Exhibits/350561.pdf NTSB fire tests- Compartment PSI increases
    http://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/pdf/systems/Lithium-ion_battery_04112006.pdf
    http://www.unece.org/trans/doc/2000/ac10/ST-SG-AC10-27a2e.pdf UN Dangerous Goods/Li Testing 12/2000
    http://www.unece.org/trans/doc/2005/ac10c3/ST-SG-AC10-C3-2005-43e.docUN Dangerous Goods Li-Ion Discussion 2005
    http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/2005/HZB0501.htm KMEM battery vent NTSB 2004
    http://www.atp.nist.gov/eao/wp05-01/chapt4.htm Risk & Financial Analysis Encouraging Off-Shore Li-Ion Production
    http://www.wrf.com/docs/events/1117.pdf Battery Transportation & Waste Regulation
    http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/fact0002.html NIOAH exploding flashlight risk
    http://www.ayovac.com/technical/pdfs/tech_uslithium.pdf Primary Li Batt Limited On Pax Aircraft
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-5.htm Li-On, The Ideal Rechargeable? No

Destructive Testing:

http://www.utahflyers.org/ LiPo Lithium Polymer battery fire videos, check left hand menu page >videos>LiPo Fires 1,2,&3 This is a different battery chemistry than the CR123 and fires causes by overcharging/intentional mismanagement.
    http://www.a123systems.com/html/tech/safety.html RCR123 Li-Ion Nail Penetration Test Video
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/yuandrew/CPF/1deb7ccd.jpg Microwaved 123
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/yuandrew/CPF/2fa146a8.jpg MMicrowaved 123
    http://www.modelaircraft.org/lithsafety.asp Safety Testing Imperative
    http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcsafety/video.asp Laptop Li-Ion Battery Fire Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS2hGoJVmlA YouTube Intentional Battery Vent
    Last edited by g36pilot; 07-25-2007 at 04:28 PM. Reason: edited inaccurate post title

Holy Moly....g36pilot....that is one heck of a resource post you just made.....thanks in advance of checking all those links. I recognize some of them.

Thanks LL. I merely collected the work and misadventures of others for reference.

And once again, thanks to CPFer's Newbie, Silverfox, incident reporters, numerous other members, and battery/flashlight retailers (for test material support) for the education relative to our applications.

Super Moderator

Here's another_one, posted just a few hours ago.
    Resistance is futile...