Exploding Batteries

Marion David Poff

Newly Enlightened
Howdy,

I am interested in exploding batteries, and I would be happy to search for threads....

But, I keep getting an error message, and so the search function is not working for me....

If you could be so kind as to post some links, etc.....

Marion

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/169038&highlight=exploding

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/166992&highlight=exploding

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/124776&highlight=exploding

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/106242&highlight=exploding

......:whistle:
there are too many thread about batts. explosions.
here you are the link with search: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/search.php?searchid=2572243
I don't know if you can read it...

I recive the same error message if I search :" batteries explosions"
don't know why:candle:

good reading...LOL:D

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of those threads are excellent and provide many hours of interesting reading. For simplicity sake though I think we should have a simple list of dos and don'ts of battery safety. Someone with far more experience than me should compile this list. Perhaps it already exists and I just haven't found it.
:candle:

After reading those threads I am afraid to go near my flashlights!!!!!!!!!!

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Senna, I think that is an excellent suggestion...but it would take someone of 'impeachable' authority and experience such as Buchmann (of Battery University) to do it....but under the kind of scrutiny and expertise that you see on this forum, it would be hard to list all the "do's and don'ts" that would cover all the relevant nuances, and have it stand on its own merits.

Remember that REPORTED battery explosions are still exceedingly rare. While there was just a post about Milwaukee Tools recalling NiCad packs, I think the biggest concern is over the dangers of Lithium Cobalt Ion (& RC 'LiPo') batteries because of the explosive/fire/thermal runaway potential.

After all the reading and posting I have done about Lithium cells (which I ONLY started doing in ernest this spring)....I think the biggest danger lies with using UNPROTECTED cells, especially IN SERIES, and ESPECIALLY IF CHARGING IN SERIES & EVEN MORE SO WITH CHARGERS THAT DO NOT TERMINATE CURRENT ONCE CELLS REACH 4.15 TO 4.2 VOLTS.

Other simple guidelines that are more geared to Lithium cells are:
  • Always use Protected Li-Ion cells. At least follow this until you have spent the time reading about, and have had some experience using Li-Ion cells. If you then use Unprotected cells, make sure you check voltages before and after charging, and follow other sensible precautions commensurate with their lack of protection circuits.
  • Stop using a light when you first notice dimming.
  • Understand the pro's and con's, and workings of your charger.
  • Attend to the charging. Do not succumb to the Ron Popille Rotisserie: "Set It and Forget It" strategy when charging Lithiums....or do it somewhere (fireplace/outside) where nothing gets harmed if you do forget. Tom (SilverFox) has said many times that if he has to go run an errand, he unplugs the chargers and restarts when he gets back.
  • Charge in an area that maximizes safety if something goes wrong. If you do not have a garage or fireplace, at least get some bricks to place batteries on, and have some some kind of ventilation available.
Many common fire extinguishers will not work with a Lithium metal fire, nor do you want to stand around in a moment of panic trying to figure out what to do, or breathing in the fumes--so have your sand/water/appropriate fire extinguisher sitting nearby.

My strategy during warmer weather is to charge in the garage on concrete after removing all flammables, and in the event of problem, pull the charger cord from wall and hit the garage opener door as I exit.

These are just a few things off the top of my head, and compared to the many experts in the field of batteries, some of whom are members here....I am a hapless beginner noob. Once you have spent the time reading, using, and watching your cells, you develop confidence....but like hazards of guns or electricity, assuming Lithium batteries are just like your good old Alkaline cells is not a good way to start out. Once you have spent some time learning about guns or electricity you develop confidence, but also you learn the importance of safety measures that the beginner may not appreciate. Same with Lithiums.

Fortunately, there are new Lithium Ion technologies that are virtually eliminating these fire/explosion/thermal runaway issues.... AW has already come out with a Saphion type of Lithium Ferrous Phosphate cell, and will likely move to include that new safe technology in other cell sizes we all want.

Last edited:

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
Many common fire extinguishers will not work with a Lithium metal fire, nor do you want to stand around in a moment of panic trying to figure out what to do, or breathing in the fumes--so have your sand/water/appropriate fire extinguisher sitting nearby.

Water is not a good fire management option for lithium batteries. It's simply not effective on lithium fires.

Further, in the event of batteries igniting while under charge, there's also 110v in the charger to worry about. Don't even think about throwing water on a burning charger unless the charger has been unplugged first.

Use a bucket of dry sand or, if no 110v power is present, a class D fire extinguisher rated for lithium.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Water is not a good fire management option for lithium batteries. It's simply not effective on lithium fires.

Further, in the event of batteries igniting while under charge, there's also 110v in the charger to worry about. Don't even think about throwing water on a burning charger unless the charger has been unplugged first.

Use a bucket of dry sand or, if no 110v power is present, a class D fire extinguisher rated for lithium.

I made that all quite clear in my last bullet 2nd paragraph post. The water is in case there is a fire that spreads to fabric, wood, or some secondary item that may be burning. I never said to throw it on the charger or Lithium batteries.

Like I started out saying, anyone who tried to make a list of safety items...if they forgot to make sure and say to unplug the charger first before contemplating using water for any other secondary burning fire their post would get picked apart....so it's a pretty hopeless idea unless you are someone like Buchmann and post it as a fixed HTML page.

Good Luck, Senna, and keep reading.

Illum

Flashaholic
class D is a lab grade fire extinguisher and you need a license for it....as its contents are not exactly safe to handle either...

fighting metal fires is basically poison against poison:poof:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
If I might offer a small point of clairification...

Batteries don't explode... They rapidly vent, sometimes accompanied by flame. :)

Tom

Illum

Flashaholic
If I might offer a small point of clairification...

Batteries don't explode... They rapidly vent, sometimes accompanied by flame. :)

Tom

oh...might want to look back on some pictures...cells that eject entire guts isn't just venting...its stark raving mad and exploding like a bullet in one direction

I suppose its debatable:thumbsup:

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link and info Quickbeam. Clear concise and logical suggestions that will dramatically reduce the chances of having a problem with 123 cells.
As stated on your site there is no way of reducing the risk 100%,but a few simple steps can greatly reduce the odds of that happening.

Thanks!!!!!
:thumbsup:

Illum

Flashaholic
So,if you use a ZTS tester and match remaining capacity of like cells and also use a volt meter to make sure they have the same voltage you should be safe, correct????
:shrug:

if you would prefer yes...just don't set the tolerances too high

I just use the ZTS alone, theres always one cell in a box of surefires that will give me multiple readings, that cell would be for a single celled light

EDIT:
I PMed Quickbeam about the hazard on draining down cr123as and I was told after numerous full cycle tests including draining cr123As to exhaustion for runtime purposes and has never ran into an explosion

Last edited:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Info on my site, with additional links at the bottom of the page.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/123burst.htm

QB,

i just want to say how much your website was, and though not adding new reviews at this time, still is appreciated by the Light/Ultralight backpacking community. We've referred to your website for a few years now as the final court of appeal in all matters related to lighting. Great job!

Thank you for your years of service, much time, and great effort you put into your FLR website.

Many thanks.