Dexlight Sapphire Crystal 3W 16-mode CREE AA/14500 Flashlight Pack

vader

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for another light. I am a caver and I started reading the posts hear a few months ago when looking into caving lights. Now I am hooked. Since then I have bought a Lumahunter MRV , a Fenix p3d and several other lights. Like I said I am hooked and I am looking for more lights. I am considering the following.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2888

Anybody have any experience with this light?

It claims to have 16 modes and put out 150 Lumens from a single AA battery but then It states that it works with the following voltages:

0.7V ~ 2.2V - works at 1W regulated
2.2V ~ 3.7V - works at 3W regulated
3.7V ~ 4.2V - works at 3W+ direct drive

I assume you only get the 150 Lumens if you use a battery that has beetween 3.7 to 4.2 volts.

What kind of battery puts out this kind of voltage and is the same size as a AA?

:popcorn:

Thanks

Norm

Retired Administrator
Last edited:

Newuser01

Enlightened
Okay.....Hold your horses.

Before making a purchase, please consider the pit falls of the battery and charger.

Especially, these cells.

If you drain them too low (I can't remember, 2.5 V ?) you will kill the cells. Recharging them when cells are damaged will cause them to explode!!!

Now read thru "Flashlight Electronics - Batteries Included" for lots of good information.

I'm not expert in this and if you know it already, disregard.

Regards.
Noob

redsun

Newly Enlightened
Hi Vader

I have this light and the Fenix L2D-CE as well. I use them both on my bike, running on NiMh hybrid batteries. Because the Sapphire is only running on 1.2 volts, it is not as bright as the Fenix on turbo...

Okay, I just tested them. The Sapphire on high is about as bright as the L2D-CE on medium. One caveat though: The Sapphire, despite having double O-ring sealing on both ends seems to be prone to vacuum pumping. Sometimes after I ride to work in the rain (I work in Vancouver!), I find that moisture has worked its way into the light. I can't dismantle the light to dry it out so I used to put the head on the recharging batteries (hybrids, so I had to wait until I had a pair of the to recharge), to let the heat bake it out. Then I started putting it on my ADSL modem. That worked.

Since you're a caver, obviously moisture resistance is as important to you as it is to me, a biker. I have made a protective covering out of the plastic packaging material from another light and duct tape, and I cover the mating surfaces of the light with duct tape. I may be able to scan pics if you're interested.

-redsun

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Review of the Dexlight

dexlightx1005smallsv4.jpg