Newbie has L4 question,,,

Montauk3

Newly Enlightened
My new SF L4 overheats when on for 10 minutes.

I turned it on and laid it on my desk. 10 minutes later I went to pick it up and burned my hand.

The head AND body became so hot I had to grab a towel to pick it up. It was burning hot. I turned it off and removed the head and tail cap to cool it off.

The main question is, is there be a chance of exploding?

TIA

Montauk3

jbosman1013

Enlightened
my L2 gets hot as well never had any problem's but that hot in 10 minutes you may have an issue

what kind of batteries were you using?

Montauk3

Newly Enlightened
Batteries used were Titaniums. They were not quite fresh ones.

P.S.
Light was lying flat, not bezel down.

Thanks

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
It gets pretty hot during normal operation.

It's somewhat better when you hold it in your hand (what the light is designed for, not for burning stand alone), cause then your hand acts as a heatsink.

If I hold mine in the hand while turned on, it reaches temps that are close to uncomfortable within ten minutes. Not enough to burn, but you keep thinking about dropping it.

Montauk3

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, my mind is resting a bit easier now.

Another P.S.

This site has the potential to make me spend more then I should. (not really a bad thing.)

jbosman1013

Enlightened
try holding it in your hand while turned on and see if you get the same effect. the light will get hot mine only takes about 2 minutes for the bezel to get warm but things like room temp and surface it was on may be a factor.

BillBond

Newly Enlightened
They are not meant to be left on for long periods.

I use an E2L if I will leave it on that long, and it will still get warm.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Batteries used were Titaniums. They were not quite fresh ones.

P.S.
Light was lying flat, not bezel down.

Thanks
Welcome to CPF!
You should only be using SureFire SF123A batteries in your SureFire flashlight as per SureFire's instructions.
You should not leave a flashlight switched on and unattended, especially when using non-SureFire batteries.

Use of non-SureFire batteries and leaving the flashlight switched on unattended increases the risk of something going wrong from 'extremely unlikely' to 'highly unlikely'.

Each person feels heat differently but suffice to say that SureFire flashlights have "Caution: Hot Surface" laser etched onto the bezel because they do get very hot when used constant-on.

The advice to hold the flashlight whilst it is being used constant-on is good and sound. You will act as the heatsink for the heat generated by the lamp, batteries and electronics etc.

I hope you enjoy using your L4.

Al :)

BSBG

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!

Use of non-SureFire batteries and leaving the flashlight switched on unattended increases the risk of something going wrong from 'extremely unlikely' to 'highly unlikely'.

That's funny.

My L4 gets quite warm in extended operation, no matter what type of batteries are in it :cool:

lightr07

Newly Enlightened
I put SF123's in my lights, Just like i put Mid / Low Quality gas in my car. !!! ... Wait. Does that mean i'm putting better quality battery's than i put quality gas in my car?! Guess so.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your hand is the cooling system for the L4. If it is not practical to hold the light the whole time during a test, you should compensate with a fan or by placing the light in water. Turning on the L4 and walking away is like draining your car's coolant, than starting it and walking away. I don't think which kind of battery you used would make a difference. I bet if you did the same thing with Surefire brand batteries, the L4 would be the same temperature.

Size15's

Flashaholic
That's funny.

My L4 gets quite warm in extended operation, no matter what type of batteries are in it :cool:
I'm not saying that when using SureFire SF123A batteries the flashlight doesn't get hot. I'm saying that when you use non-SureFire brand batteries you are exposing yourself to a whole load of risk because CR123A batteries that are not made in America do not have to be manufactured to the same high standards of safety and performance. Further, if you buy batteries from a suspect or unknown source, rather than from a SureFire Dealer you are also risking getting fake/counterfeit batteries.
Sticking with SureFire SF123A batteries from your SureFire Dealer or SureFire directly eliminates exposure to increased risk of having a problem. It also means that you can contact SureFire if their SF123As have a problem. If you use other brand batteries, contrary to SureFire's instructions they may not be able to support you in the same way.

Note that the risk of CR123A batteries going wrong, although extremely small, is nevertheless recognised and people on CPF have experienced it. Therefore regardless of the brand or provenance of the batteries it is better to keep an eye on any flashlight left constant-on, and disable any flashlight not in use.

Al

BSBG

Enlightened
I'm not saying that when using SureFire SF123A batteries the flashlight doesn't get hot. I'm saying that when you use non-SureFire brand batteries you are exposing yourself to a whole load of risk because CR123A batteries that are not made in America do not have to be manufactured to the same high standards of safety and performance.

Al

Al:

As often on the internet, you misunderstood my comment. Going from "exceptionally" to "highly" unlikely was the funny part.

Using non SF batteries is not recommended by SF. BMW North America does not authorize the use of any non-BMW electronics in their cars - you can't use a Nokia cell phone in one as it may interfere with the car's electronics. Whatever.

It is the buyer's decision, and let the buyer beware.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Al:
As often on the internet, you misunderstood my comment. Going from "exceptionally" to "highly" unlikely was the funny part.
Oh okay, cool!
I was looking for appropriate words and those two seemed to fit, although neither one is very quantitative.

Montauk3

Newly Enlightened
Once again guys, thanks.
I am sure enough more aware then I was two days ago.