NEW VERSION Energizer Folding LED Lantern

jughead

Newly Enlightened
I was at Target in Birmingham, Alabama today and saw that they had the Energizer 4AA Folding LED lantern back in stock. They were $6.99 each. This is the little lantern with the twin LED tubes. I thought these were discontinued. They weren't on sale, they looked like regular merchandise. Maybe they are back in stock, or perhaps Target found a few leftovers and put them out for sale. Just thought I'd offer a heads up if anyone was interested.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Energizer 4AA Folding LED lantern now at Target

I saw them here in Baton Rouge too. I am going to go back and pick up a couple for hurricane season.

AlexSchira

Enlightened

The older version which ran either one or both tubes was discontinued, this new version has low and high modes which run both tubes at the different levels to provide more useful light in the low mode. Runtime is the same as the old one, 200 hours low mode, 100 high.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

AlexSchira said:
The older version which ran either one or both tubes was discontinued, this new version has low and high modes which run both tubes at the different levels to provide more useful light in the low mode. Runtime is the same as the old one, 200 hours low mode, 100 high.

Actually this isn't entirely accurate. In this thread Energizer 4AA folding LED light DISCONTINUED I mention an email to Energizer. Their response was that the light was discontinued. At that time the current model was in fact the "both tubes on" model.

I have read that there could be a newer version of the light that is sporting brighter LEDs but can't confirm it myself. Maybe someone was watching us ***** about it and answered our prayers. :shrug:

-LT

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

An excellent little lantern. Should be one (or more) in every household. Almost included it a few moments ago in the thread on your five favorites.

Geoff

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Please confirm:
PrmFoldingLEDGray_z.jpg

This is not a CCFL but rather 2, 5mm Nichia LED's in a white tube.

Please dont interpert my comment as negative, quite the contrary.

I can see lots of applications for this, esp at this price!

Picture a blackout, your house is pitch black, you need "nightlights" throughout the house, so that you can walk around, these would be perfect!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

These are certainly worthy of being in every household!

InfidelCastro

Banned

I figured they wouldn't discontinue it completely. Glad they modded it the same way we did. :D

wwglen

Enlightened

I modded my low (on my old one) to be about 1/2 the current of the original low and it is still plenty bright for a night light.

wwglen

watt4

Enlightened

I bought a couple extra when they were still at office depot.

I should run one at work to show the guys the long runtime.

DaveT

Enlightened

It's great that they've brought these back - I thought it was a mistake to discontinue them. They're just way too handy a light - I have a stash of them that I've been sitting on. Although it's not the blowout $2.99 price that Big Lots had them for, it's definitely a fair price when you consider how useful they really are. I use one all the time as a bathroom nightlight for my kids, and I got a buddy in Florida to get several last year in time for hurricane season - he really likes them.
Days and days of use in a small, flexible package - it really is a winner.
Dave

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just wondering, what color is the light you've seen at Target? The ones I have from before are either green or black. Also do the new ones all say "Nichia" LEDs on the package?

-LT

butters

Newly Enlightened

Lunal_Tic said:
Just wondering, what color is the light you've seen at Target? The ones I have from before are either green or black. Also do the new ones all say "Nichia" LEDs on the package?

-LT

I just picked one up yesterday - it's a very dark green. I also have a couple of the older ones and they're more towards a hunter green color.

The new ones do say Nichea Technology on the back. Seems to be brighter, but I can't say for sure since I use these to burn up batteries from other gadgets.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just got one but i am returning it because I did not like it, I like my coleman CCFL 4AA better, This one is just not for me.

Edit: Need to be more specific, I did not like the brightness and tint of mine, dim and green, bad combination, maybe I got a bad one.

Before I try to pick up another one, can anyone tell me if this lantern is regulated?

AlexGT

Last edited:

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds like you got a bad one. I just picked up 2 more today at Target. All of mine have a nice white tint. I'm almost sure they are not regulated. The run time is great on these little lights, I used them during the long hurricane power outage last year. Spread them around like night lights. I picked up a few Coleman Micropacker LED lights yesterday too. They're good also, not as bright as the Energizers but the switch is easier to use if you're going to be turning it off and on a lot.

I've been searching high and low for the Energizer 4D 2 tube flourescent folder. Can't find them anywhere around here. All the major stores keep getting depleted of battery powered lights the minute they get them in. You'd think they'd wise up and order larger quantities.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

They've got new 4D LED folding lanterns that look like the old fluorescent version.

-LT

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast

I haven't seen those here yet. How bright are they compared to the flourescent ones.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Couldn't say. The email flurry I've had with Energizer about the 4AA model only turned up 3 things.

One they don't read well, two they insist they don't make the 4AA model anymore, three they have the 4D LED version in 2 flavors though the Weather Ready version isn't on the website yet.

-LT