Upgrade LED in Ultrafire 602c?

sucker

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

I just recieved an Ultrafire 602c 1xAAA flashlight from dealextreme (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.891). I'm very happy with it (small,bright,good quality) but i read somewhere that it's possible to replace the LED to make it even brighter. I unscrewed the top of the flashlight and it seems like the LED is directly soldered on to some kind of circuit board. I haven't used a soldering iron in years and have no previous experience of messing with electrical things like this, but I still think I would manage to replace the LED if I got a similar one with the same dimensions. Is it worth the time/money to replace the LED or should I get another flashlight with more power? Wich LED should I purchase? Is this one suitable http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2026 ? Can I expect a longer runtime with another LED?

Another question: Bin? What is that ("Cree P4 bin emitter" for example)?

sku_4573_10.jpg

Thanks,
Filip

Last edited:

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Filip,

The LED in the UF 602c is easily upgraded with a Seoul P4 LED. It is an easy upgrade if you have some basic tools. It has been covered before, and is a worthwhile mod.

The LED that you were asking about would be an excellent choice. All that you would need to do is file and sand 0.015" off the back of the reflector, and add a thin (0.015") shim under the LED.

If you don't have a digital caliper, you can use automotive feeler gauges and get this pretty accurate. You can get the copper shim material from an art supply store. It is used for embossing, and comes in two thicknesses. It may seem expensive, but you get a lot of shims from a single piece of copper. All you need is a hole punch to stamp them out. Do not use your wife's hole punch to make your shims, though. You will be in the dog house for a week.

Follow the standard caveats about isolating the slug on the Seoul, and you are in business.

sucker

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your help datiLED! I just ordered two leds and an extra 602c flashlight from dealextreme. Hope they arrive soon :party:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC, it's suggested to add a 0.030in shim under the emitter and remove 0.030in from the reflector.