Newbie Mag85 Question

jterhune

Newly Enlightened
I'm new here and after lurking for a bit decided I want to build a mag85.

Before I order all the parts I wanted to make sure I was getting everything I need. If I order:

9AA to 3D adapter
Dual function LOP aluminum reflector
Gold plated ceramic socket
Bi-pin WA1185

from fivemega

and also get:

a UCL lens,
9 titanium 2600 mAH (do I want button or flat top?)
mag 3D host

Will I have everything I need?

Thanks.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like you've got it all. And button tops will work best. You might want to consider a Smart Charger to charge the entire pack at once.

Last edited:

RickyT

Newly Enlightened
Fivemega has borofloat lens available too. You probably can't see the difference real world between that and the ucl. It is hardier too.

jterhune

Newly Enlightened
I finally put it all together, and I have to say this flashlight is amazing. I successfully lit a fire with it, battery life is quite good, and it really helps me get around the forest at night. I no longer regret spending so much money on a flashlight.

My coworker's first response to seeing it was "my maglite is that bright". Then he looked into the bulb and I laughed as he quickly changed his mind.

The only thing I didn't buy was a smart charger. I was wondering, would it be possible for me to make a homemade charger to charge the whole pack at C/10 and avoid the need for an auto-shutoff, or would that be a bad idea?

Also, would it be a good idea to try some of the resistance lowering tricks I have read about, or would that increase my chances of flashing my bulb?

Last edited:

jterhune

Newly Enlightened
I'm still trying to find any sort of charger for this pack as the thread DonShock posted seems to be closed. I found a PST-5830-9-16H from powerstream but it only charges to 16Ah while my pack has 23.4Ah. The only charger I found that goes that high is from batteryspace which FiveMega specifically said is not recommended.

Does anyone know where I can get an appropriate charger?

eltel999

Newly Enlightened
Alin10123 sells a few different Multicurrent Universal Chargers.

The one I use for charging my 9AA battery pack is this one:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=104771

It charges at either 0.9A or 1.8A and will charge Ni-Cad or Ni-Mh pack in the 8.4V to 12V range.

I've used my for over a year now will no problems.

Hope that helps.

Terry