why does it feel so wrong to order a mag?

nmanchin

Newly Enlightened
i feel like the great american way of going to ace and picking one up is shattered. couldn't find a 3c anywhere today. ordered one from zbattery. need one for my first mod. making a "sleeper"/emergency light. going with the terra lux drop in and the magCTower. will hopefully find a glass front for it too.

i wanted something that had nearly 100 lumens and would run for 15 hours or so on really common batteries but not 4 D huge...

Beer

Enlightened
LOL... I was feeling the same way the other day.

I wanted a 3D for an aspheric led build, couldn't find one anywhere.

So I just sucked it up and ordered one, I felt strange...like buying toilet paper online.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Comparing (sort of) Gaglite to toilet paper...now that made me smile!

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe its a sign that Mag might get its act together and innovate for the first time in 15 years. :thinking:

flash_bang

Enlightened
Guess what? I found a 4C mag at my local ACE hardware store. I didn't get it cuz I'm trying to convince my ppls to get me a G2 LED when it comes out and after the initial skim the cream pricing passes eg LAPG starts selling it with "free" batteries.
HAGO,
Flash

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Beer: "I felt strange ... like buying toilet paper online."

Best post in the thread. :thumbsup:

Modders can be excused ... but most others should be ashamed. :crazy:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
i feel like the great american way of going to ace and picking one up is shattered. couldn't find a 3c anywhere today.
No shame in that. I've had trouble finding any C Mag's lately. The local Fry's had a decent stock of 2C's and 3C's for a while (just black, of course), but the 3C's were gone the last time I was in. The local Home Depot usually stocks pewter and/or black 2C's, and that's about it. Osh, Lowes, Target, Rat Shack... no C's to be found. I ended up ordering a 4C and 5C from Flashlight King.

lightr07

Newly Enlightened
I think its because you don't get the feeling of "Can't wait to see what this is like!" or "Can't wait to do some Beam Shots on this one!" Because, Well. Its a Maglite. Its nothing really special when you get it. Its not like when i opened the package on the A2, when you get that image in the back of your mind with the A2 in that hard to open plastic with light coming from heaven surrounding it. ... I hope i'm not the only one who gets that :ohgeez:

Anyway with a mag, Its just not like that.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
i wanted something that had nearly 100 lumens and would run for 15 hours or so on really common batteries but not 4 D huge...
How about 2D?
Electrolumens Anglelux P4.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=160335
The thread is slightly out of date. He is now using 500mA micopuck boost circuit instead of 400mA. I estimate 105 lumens (LED) 70 out front for about 19 hours.
It is under Modified Flashlights on his website

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yep . . . .

Right after Hell freezes over.

:cool:

-

.... And the Devil starts giving away free snowcones!

What the Hell, guys?! You can't find Mags in a Brick & Mortar store?? okay, I can understand having a bit of trouble tracking down a 3-C cell model if the nearest Ace Hardware is out of stock on those. But as for 2-C and most D models, there's Target, Lowes, Home Depot, most hardware stores.... Not being able to find a Mag in a Brick & Mortar store is like a fat kid saying he hates cake! :crackup:

nmanchin

Newly Enlightened
i found all variants except for a 3 or 4 cell C. and i checked all of the stores. oh well. it came in today, (2 days after i ordered it) heck, it wasn't even worth searching for at the stores. good service from zbattery!

i know many hate the mags. and i hate them for evolving so slowly, but i still have a sweet spot for them considering as a kid they were the only alloy water resistant light available that i could find. now i'm just going to make it a little more up to date and keep it as a stand by. the 3C is actually a great size when you need some decent lumens/battery life.

BillBond

Newly Enlightened
The days of brick and morter stores is waning.

You can buy almost anything online and get it cheaper.
The cost of shipping is less than tax in many situations,
plus the cost of the item starts out less.

I can even get stuff like footpowder and coughdrops shipped from New Jersey
cheaper than from the Walgreens around the corner.

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
I guess it depends on the use. Modding, 4D or 4C as a tire thumper for the car all good, for EDC :thumbsdow. I purchased a 4D for the car a few weeks ago. It had the new LED bulb but the spare was the oringal incandescent bulb.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The days of brick and morter stores is waning.

You can buy almost anything online and get it cheaper.
The cost of shipping is less than tax in many situations,
plus the cost of the item starts out less.

I can even get stuff like footpowder and coughdrops shipped from New Jersey
cheaper than from the Walgreens around the corner.

LOL ! ..... I doubt it!

There are still advantages to buying from B&M stores. All of my lights are from B&M stores, and collection is far from small. (Although I will admit that living in NYC helps a lot when you want to buy a Surefire).

Not everything I've found online is cheaper. Some places actually charge more. But usually, you expect to pay a bit more at a B&M store. Still, B&M shopping offers things you can't get online....

1 - Instant Customer Service - If the light you bought is defective, you can turn around, take a few steps, head back into the B&M store, and instantly have them replace it or give you a refund. Can't do that online. That actually happened to me twice with 2 different lights at 2 different stores. A Mag and a Surefire.

2 - No extra fees involved - No need to pay for postage to send the light back to the company, if it breaks or is defective.

3- No lost time - In this busy world, it's a pain in the neck to make a special trip to the post office to mail your broken light in.... Then you lose more time by waiting for the light to return.

4 - No need to deal with a company's Customer Service Dept. - Depending on who made your light, this could be a huge advantage! Like I said above, I had a Surefire that was defective right out of the box (blown bulb). I haven't heard good things about Surefire's customer service dept., and when my G2 didn't light up; I'm glad I was able to exchange the light at the store. Rather than deal with Surefire directly. I think I saved myself a huge headache.

5 - Product in hand - This, to me, is still a huge advantage. You get to not only see, but hold the product to determine if it really is what you expected. Product in hand is also related to time. No need to wait for your product to arrive, once you pay for it. This isn't just about convenience. You might need the product right now! If you have a cold, you're going to want those coughdrops NOW!

B&M stores are far from obselete. Online shopping offers the advantages of low prices, and being able to order anything from around the world. But the advantages you get from B&M stores are still worthwhile.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
LOL ! ..... I doubt it!

There are still advantages to buying from B&M stores. All of my lights are from B&M stores, and collection is far from small. (Although I will admit that living in NYC helps a lot when you want to buy a Surefire).

Some good points, but living in NYC (I lived there for 8 years) or similar megatropolis, gives you an unrealistic view of B&B vs. online. Most people must drive 20+ minutes to a local mall which has 1/100th the selection of NYC...and over the last 5 years I have reversed my buying from 80% B&M/20% online. There is the convenience factor of having things delivered which is a significant intangible value.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Like I said, a lot of the advantages of buying from a B&M store have to do with the possibility of getting a defective product. Yeah, there's the travel involved. But I see that as a minor issue, especially if you're headed to the mall anyway.

For lights with a questionable track record, like the Surefire U2, B&M is definitely the way to go.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally do not think I could EVER buy another Maglite again, with so many other lights that are far superior to them. But, that is just me!!