ROP Questions

krevo

Newly Enlightened
I've done quite a bit of research here on the ROP mag mod.

I'm lost as far as the AA converter to D or C size cells. I don't know alot about batteries and amps and such so....

So far, I've ordered a Borofloat lens, and set of bulbs from Lighthound - $13+ shipping for both.

I then have picked out a metal reflector, haven't ordered it yet.

So which is the easiest Mag model to purchase in order to complete this? Again, I'm unaware of which AA to C or D converter to get, and where to find it other than from members of the board. Is there a way to build an ROP using the C or D cells designed for the light? If not, how much do the guys here charge for the converter? Anyone got a pic of what it looks like?

And lastly, just look over my parts checklist and tell me I've got this right..

1.) Mag Host (please specify the easiest host to do this with)
2.) Borofloat Lens
3.) Pelican Big D 3854 bulb set
4.) Metal reflector from Sandwich Shoppe
5.) AA battery conversion thingy
6.) A set CBP1650's have been replaced according to their website. Is the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IB200AA okay for this?[/FONT]

I'm hoping for 1k lumens out of the HI bulb so I want to make sure the host I pick is capably of achieving this.

PS - Yes I've read this http://lights.lightrefineries.org/?page_id=9

According to this link above, he claims that in the 4C mag config, you can load these SubC cells directly in with no soldering/paper wrapping. What exactly is a SubC?

Last edited:

RoyJ

Enlightened
First of all, you're NOT going to get 1000 torch lumens out of a 3854 bulb, or a WA1185 for that matter.

As for the power supply, you could use any batteries you want, as long as you've got 6 of 1.2V batteries. The exception being non high current AA batteries, which you might want 7 to give a desired voltage under load.

Sub-C are the remote control model batteries and cordless drill batteries. They're physically smaller than c-size batteries but can typically deliver loads of currents. 50 amp is not uncommon for short periods of time.

The problem though, is that you'll need a 5c Mag to fit 6 sub-Cs, which makes for a rather clumsy ROP.

krevo

Newly Enlightened
First of all, you're NOT going to get 1000 torch lumens out of a 3854 bulb, or a WA1185 for that matter.

As for the power supply, you could use any batteries you want, as long as you've got 6 of 1.2V batteries. The exception being non high current AA batteries, which you might want 7 to give a desired voltage under load.

Sub-C are the remote control model batteries and cordless drill batteries. They're physically smaller than c-size batteries but can typically deliver loads of currents. 50 amp is not uncommon for short periods of time.

The problem though, is that you'll need a 5c Mag to fit 6 sub-Cs, which makes for a rather clumsy ROP.

Whoops. I could've sworn someone mentioned he was exceed 1k lumens. My bad.

Most of the threads I've been reading show people getting a 2D maglite host and going from there...

So it sounds like I could get a 2D host, and then buy a 6AA to 2D converter and be mostly done with this, other than the metal reflector. Am I correct?:shrug:

krevo

Newly Enlightened
I apologize for this thread, but every time I try the search function, it doesn't work. (gives a fatal error)

mansell2

Newly Enlightened
I built a Mag 2C Rop with 2xAw C Li-Ion. The AW C cell will fire up the ROP hi in one click. To get the AW C-cells to fit I reccomend:

1) remove stock switch
2) remove inner snap ring (above swtich)
3) re install switch and move forward 2mm. (learned on CPF by member I can't remember)
4) cut down tailcap, de anodize tailcap and modify spring.

No additional cost for spacer rings or new tailcaps. Moving the switch forward 2mm allows for more threads to remain on tail cap.

See attached photo for tailcap/spring mod. You also need to make the bootm of spring a smaller od to insert into tailcap. I used a pair of pliers. This mod is non reversable. Hope this helped.

0003gt1.jpg

Last edited:

KnOeFz

Enlightened