Crees on the Bike Path (real world E2L and L2D-CE testing)

carrot

Flashaholic
Deciding to take advantage of the excellent bike path along the beach here, I strapped two Cree lights onto my Trek mountain bike using my new 2fish lockblocks. The lights? The new Cree Surefire E2L and the Fenix L2D-CE. Also on my person, for the curious: Fox Labs CS spray, McLux PD-S mizer, Surefire G2z, Spyderco Para-Military Black and an UnderArmor compression shirt (these things are awesome).

At the start of the bike path, I turned on both lights, with the L2D-CE on turbo. Both had reasonably fresh batteries (Surefire and Kirkland Signature, respectively) and it was already dark (hurrah!). Some of the bike path is unlit (at least 1/3rd), so if you ever want to ride along it at night a flashlight is practically a necessity to avoid smashing into the people walking on the path, as well as other ill-equipped bikers.

Nobody along the path had lights even close to mine in brightness, except for one rollerblader whose LED light looked about Surefire-sized. (I was speeding down the path too fast to ask.) Riding along the path, people walking in front of me would almost always turn around to see what the bright light coming up behind them was, and people coming in my direction kept doing double-takes at my photon cannons. Inside, I was smiling with joy. Outside, my mouth hung open like the air scoop of an expensive sports car, sucking in oxygen.

Homeless people live along the bike path, as well, and some rove in hoards, and my illumination tools drew a lot of attention from them. Being the wary New Yorker that I am, I was glad to have the Fox Labs on my belt. New York residents will be surprised that many homeless people here in California have bikes, socialize with others, and even have pets or play basketball on the public courts. That's right, California is a great place to live if you're homeless. Thankfully, there were no altercations with the beach-dwellers.

Halfway through the journey (as in, after I had turned around, about 45 minutes later), I noticed that the Fenix L2D-CE had gotten unacceptably dim. It was pretty warm, so I turned off the Surefire (which was cool to the touch) to check the brightness of the L2D-CE. It looked like it was running in low, so I shut it off for the remainder of the ride and turned the Surefire E2L back on.

If I weren't riding so fast, the output of the dimmed L2D-CE would have been acceptable (it was still brighter than what many other people on the path had) but being a flashaholic on a bike at top-speed, it was inadequate. Keep in mind that this was using alkalines, which are prone to extreme voltage sag when subjected to long and heavy loads. I am almost certain that had I been using NiMH, the problem I noticed would not have occurred for the duration of the ride. In retrospect, I should have also ran it on high, which, according to Chevrofreak, will run for 1 hour and 41 minutes on alkalines with plenty output.

In one of the darkened sections of the path two teenage boys were sitting on the curb. One shined a flashlight at my eyes in attempt to blind me. I wasn't fully night-adapted due to all the streetlamps I had passed, so the light didn't faze me. I figure it must have been a Maglite based on the size and focus of the reflector (that's all I saw of the light). They must have seen me reaching for my G2Z, which was sticking out of my left pocket, because they apologized immediately (perhaps they thought it was a gun or a knife?), as I unleashed my G2Z's glorious incandescent beam on them. "Arrrgh, you got us good!" as I sped away.

An hour and a half later, I turn off the E2L, my ride over. It's still cold to the touch. The new E2L's a real winner. An enthusiastic recommendation to anyone who can afford one. It put out enough light to ride with at night, to see far enough ahead to avoid hazards, and runs for an insane 9 hours without any dimming.

The L2D-CE is also great, but it would have been fairer to it if I had run it on high instead of turbo (or at least used NiMH batteries), which made it quite a bit brighter than the E2L but with much less runtime. When it was running, I really liked the amount of light it put out. The spill is plenty to see directly in front of your wheel and the hotspot allows you to see clearly in front of you. It's also quite economical because it happily uses NiMH and lets you change the level of output depending on your current needs.

Two thumbs up for Twofish lockblocks. These things are GREAT! A must-have for any flashaholic with a bike.

Last edited:

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Crees on the Bike Path

were you running the l2d on turbo? i find high a better compromise of output and runtime unless you needed strobe in an instant.

carrot

Flashaholic
Re: Crees on the Bike Path

were you running the l2d on turbo? i find high a better compromise of output and runtime unless you needed strobe in an instant.
Yep, it was on turbo. High would have been a better choice, I agree. Tomorrow night, I'll try running it on high instead.

lucio

Newly Enlightened
well, I think the L2D performed quite well considering it was on turbo and fueled with alkaline :)

GreySave

Enlightened
Carrot:

Did the E2L put out enough of a spillbeam to give decent side illumination or did you use the street lights etc.. for that purpose. I am trying to get a good handle on what this beam is like. If you have a Kroma, how do they compare? If not, can anyone else with both lights offer a comparison?

carrot

Flashaholic
Carrot:

Did the E2L put out enough of a spillbeam to give decent side illumination or did you use the street lights etc.. for that purpose. I am trying to get a good handle on what this beam is like. If you have a Kroma, how do they compare? If not, can anyone else with both lights offer a comparison?
I got to play with a Kroma but no, I do not own one, so I cannot say how it compares. I do remember the Kroma having a slight but relatively dim spillbeam, and I believe that the E2L's spill is brighter and more useful, but not by all that much. The spill was ample to go by, but I should note that the L2D-CE's spill was much more useful. By pointing the E2L about 20-30 feet in front of me, its little amount of spill was not a terribly great concern, as the beam was wide enough to illuminate the path directly in front of me.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you run two light like this I highly recommend the Surefire F04 Beamshaper on one of them. The PD Mizer would be ideal. Aim the diffused beam about 10'ft in front and the focused beam 20'-30' ahead. Very nice combo

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Well thanks carrot, after reading this I want one. My wallet is gonna be a little lighter thanks to you.

Bill

carrot said:
An hour and a half later, I turn off the E2L, my ride over. It's still cold to the touch. The new E2L's a real winner. An enthusiastic recommendation to anyone who can afford one. It put out enough light to ride with at night, to see far enough ahead to avoid hazards, and runs for an insane 9 hours without any dimming.

FASTCAR

Banned
I run a Wolf Eyes 6a/cree 170L with my diffuser on my bikes and its fantastic.

I have a home made mount with 2 hose clamps.
What is this "Fish head" mount I keep hearing about?