New LED Latern at Menards - Osram copy.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just at Menards and spotted a new LED latern that is idendical to the Osram unit which is very nice. It was only 12 bucks! I think it was by Sylvania or Philipps (can't remember). It did not have any detail about what LED was used or if it was regulated but it did have 100% and 25% settings. It said "using highest compoents". I was interested considering the price but took a pass since I presently have too many lights and just finished a camping trip.

Anyone try one? Looks to be a really small and compact latern that runs on 4AA's.

BVH

Flashaholic
I believe these have been around a while and if I'm not mistaken, they are no where near the performers of the Osram with its Golden Dragon LED.

JoeSnuffyII

Newly Enlightened
I get to May Nerds pretty regularly...I'll check it out..

Haven't yet found any decent lights there yet...

They definitely need a real flashaholic 'flashlight' buyer up there in Eau Claire

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks BVH. That is the one thing that is hard to determine these days - what type of quality product you are getting. There are a lot of copy cat lights out there that "look" similar but have poor performance. Just somthing one needs to be aware of. CandlepowerForums has great individuals who can shed some insight. The average consumer can be taken. I am always "cautious" about lights that are similar looking to others with much lower prices.

linearintigrator

Newly Enlightened
Just a heads up, Menards has this lantern on sale this week for $6.99. Packaging is labled " Imported by Osram Sylvania Products Inc."

Color temp is warmer than my RR lantern and beam has very few if any artifacts. Think I'll pick up a couple more for this price. dave

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
The Menards I go to most often in Hermantown, MN (Duluth) has these regularly for $9.99 but several other stores I've been in have had them at 12.99. They are on sale for 4.99 in this weeks (one week) flyer. click to Octoberfest Sale II last page
I'm planning on picking up a few. I bought one several months ago and it has been a good performer. Used quite a bit in our outhouse :). Works well w/ rechargeables.
I've been less impressed with the motion sensing, AA operated LED light I got at Menards about 1 month ago. I have to get it better positioned, waving your arms over your head to get it turned on doesn't always work. Then again my younger children are spoiled, the older ones have grown up using the outhouse in the dark. Three cheers for LED's and CPF :clap: :party: :wave:

If anyone is interested I could pick up extras to ship. 1 or 2 would fit in a Flat Rate envelope I think.

Looks like these are on sale this week for $4.99. Dave

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
regulator tipped me off and I have three on the way, straight from the store. We don't have Menards in NY, but the lady I spoke with in IL was very nice and helped me get my order shipped for an *extremely* fair price. If you don't mind holding on the phone and playing a little phone tag, they will ship them to you.

:)

LEDAdd1ct

Niteowl

Enlightened
I believe these have been around a while and if I'm not mistaken, they are no where near the performers of the Osram with its Golden Dragon LED.

On 9-11-07, I called Sylvania specifically to ask what the LED was. I was told with no hesitaton that it was the Golden Dragon LED.

Not being familiar with the Golden Dragon LED, and not having opened mine up yet, I can only pass along what I was told.

Any body know if lithium cells are OK to use in this?

Brock

Flashaholic
At $4.99 I couldn't resist. I already had two of the good ones and expected these to be the less powerful ones, not so. These are the good ones and at $4.99 you can't go wrong. If you want a small lantern with a good kick for it's size this is the one to get!