Introducing the Ghettoflood Lamp

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wanting to have a portable light for tonight's BBQ I made this kludge:

ghettoflood1.jpg

ghettoflood2.jpg

ghettoflood3.jpg

To make it I used a small aluminium disc of about 1cm height and 8cm diameter as the heatsink, for the white reflector cup used an empty spread cheese container, for the battery tube I used the tube where the IMS20 reflectors are shipped and for the contacts I used some scrap aluminium pieces I had lying around.
The negative contact is permanently attached and the positive contact is closed by inserting a piece of paper clip into a hole in the positive side.
It uses a Cree XRE P3 LED and is direct driven by an AW 18650, but it can also use 17670s

Tried it and it works very nice, will add some cord to the extremes to hang it above the table.

I know I will see what Im eating tonight :)

Have a nice weekend

Pablo

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess the p3 has a decent enough Vf that it doesn't pull some tremendous current? Did you put a white lid on it so that the light gets bounced back off the table and into the sides more? Maybe some aluminum foil on the table would work better? hehe.

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess the p3 has a decent enough Vf that it doesn't pull some tremendous current? Did you put a white lid on it so that the light gets bounced back off the table and into the sides more? Maybe some aluminum foil on the table would work better? hehe.

Brave souls direct drive without looking back :nana:

It worked as needed, far longer than I expected!!!

Pablo

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the idea that you can put the cover back on the cheese container and get a diffused light. You could even take that and put in color filters for mood lighting.

Or - put the battery in the container, put the cover on and you have a waterproof light that will float.

The possibilites are endless...

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work Sir!:twothumbs I fear that McGizmo, Leef and Milky might be prompted into early retirement! :nana:

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
reviving an old thread :)

Im going camping with my son this weekend, so I decided to improve the floodlamp and give it more runtime by using 2x18650 in parallel (direct drive) I even added a stainless steel TIG welding rod to be able to hang it properly.

here are the new pics

ghettoflood6.jpg
ghettoflood8.jpg

ghettoflood7.jpg

The mini switch came from a broken peripheral enclosure, it should be able to withstand 1A or so. I used the altoids can as groundpath and the LED positive is connected with a teflon coated wire.

Pablo

1 what

Enlightened
It's an absolute joy to see a pro using junk to make lights. I'll never feel ashamed about using old plumbing parts again. I especially like it that the "spread cheese container" has become a "light spread" container!