LA Police Gear
Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161720 ... LastLast

Thread: Surefire Lego?

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Surefire Lego?

What kind of bodies are those on the left?!?

Here's my latest, an Aleph 2x123 body, McTC w/McClicky, and E2DL bezel. Actually keeping the TIR optic in this one...and maybe even the stock emitter for awhile

I got tired of looking at this junk in my KL4 head:

So, I opened up the KL4 and transplanted a 2S2P MC-E (TW4 configuration using an E1L body and Aleph flattop tailcap with McE2S):

Last edited by Justin Case; 07-26-2009 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    What kind of bodies are those on the left?!?
    Those are Balrog Bodies and are what pushed me over the edge from being a lurker to a member back in 2004. He didn't have an email listed so I could only order via forum post and PM. The first one on the left is a BE4, 4 cell E series on both ends but I'm using an E2C adapter to use a C series head. The "natural" anodize came out really light as you can see but that never bothered me much. They were my introduction to Surefire Lego.

-LT
    lunal tic (n)
    a distinctive behavioral trait or quirk directly related to or caused by light [15th cent. Latin lunaris. Ultimately from an IE word meaning “light,”] and [Early 19th cent. Italian ticchio.] see also: moon quirk

Flashaholic*

Thank you. I'm familiar with them, just didn't recognize them for some reason. Guess I was hoping it was something currently available somewhere
    Another maker like Fivemega should get into these, since apparently noone else is making longer bodies that are E series compatible at both ends.

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    YEAH! QtrHorse Way to go, my friend. Please do report back... if these lights do use the same TLS head, that would be AWESOME!

I received my package today from Kaidomain.

I don't have a TLS head from Opticshq.com to compare it to but it looks the same as what they offer and what you took pictures of. It has TLS on the bezel as well. The body is junk and does not match the head but the head is perfect. It has a nice satin finish to it, not quite matte or gloss.

Great deal for the price if you ask me.

I messed with it a little at lunch. The pill comes out and a deerlight type pill screws right in. I could not get it to light up though. I think it is a grounding/ spring issue. The T1 light has a outer compression spring and copper type oring that I believe makes contact with the body. I removed the larger outer spring from all my other pills and need to re-install one to see if they will work.

The good part about this is that one of Nailbenders pills may work in this reflector and that would make for a great little light. I currently have the head mounted to a Vital Gear B1 body.

I will try to take some good close-up pictures tonight.

The TLS head for use on E-bodies has a silver colored spring attached to the center of the pill and two leaf-type springs - one on each side - on the circumference of the pill to contact the E-body. Looking forward to your pics!

I ordered a T1 myself last week... looking forward to checking it out.
    Last edited by DHart; 07-27-2009 at 02:14 PM.

Dhart,

Can you post a picture of the backside of your TLS bezel/ pill that you have?

It took about two weeks to get mine it from Kaidomain. It does not come with the box that it shows to on the site or the extra switch (not sure if it's supposed to be extra or just showing you what it looks like) and it was black even though the picture looks to be natural.

I'm not sure if you noticed but they also sell the Fire kylin M3T complete light now for a reasonable price. The head does not look to match the body, it looks brown compaired to the natural color of the body.

I may order one of them as well.

OK... TLS Head for E-series bodies.

As promised, first the Lego. It's not a Surefire Lego at the moment but it will be. I could not find my black E1 body.

I also included a link to a new thread that has a lot more pictures of the actual internals of the T1/ TLS head. I did not want to clutter up this thread. Link below the picture.

T1/ TLS Kaidomain Light
    Last edited by QtrHorse; 07-27-2009 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QtrHorse View Post
    As promised, first the Lego.

QtrHorse... how does the head compare to the pics of my TLS head?

And how does she ride?

I included a link to a new thread with more pictures in the post above yours.

She rides well.

My head has the same spring as yours but it does not have those leaf type springs. It has a larger spring around the pill and then what looks like a washer with a lip on it that is used instead of those leaf springs.

My first gen OpticsHQ/TLS TX2 does not have those leaf springs either.

From the photos, it doesn't look like the later gen TX2 heads have any o-ring seals under the glass window. I got a lot of junk infiltrating into my TX2, so I disassembled the head, cleaned it, and put in an o-ring under the glass.

This one does not have a o-ring behind the glass either.

If you pocket carry the TLS, I would suggest installing an o-ring. My TX2 looked like one of those Christmas paperweights with the snowstorm flakes inside that you shake and then watch the flakes settle. In my case, at least the junk adhered to whatever surface they landed on instead of flying about.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    If you pocket carry the TLS, I would suggest installing an o-ring. My TX2 looked like one of those Christmas paperweights with the snowstorm flakes inside that you shake and then watch the flakes settle. In my case, at least the junk adhered to whatever surface they landed on instead of flying about.
    I've got the same issue, only to a lesser degree. My main EDC light is a black Surefire E2E w/ E2D tailcap, and a single-output TLS head (without scallops). All black, good combination of throw and flood. Every now & then, I take the head apart and clean off the dust that is attracted to the inside of the lens like a bum to a bottle of Jack.

Requires a bit more maintenance than a Surefire KX2C head. But much less expensive, and with useful sidespill.

Despite the dust that gets inside, the head is capable of performing in a heavy downpour. (Found that out, during a couple of heavy downpours).

Like it so much that I made sure to put together two such Surefire E2E / TLS lights. If I lose my main EDC, got another one similar to it; waiting at home.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

My head has the same spring as yours but it does not have those leaf type springs. It has a larger spring around the pill and then what looks like a washer with a lip on it that is used instead of those leaf springs.
    My two are the same (one direct from TLS and one from KD) no O rings at the window either. Curiously the crenilated bezels are slightly different, one is slightly longer by no more than 1mm.

Both work great with my E1e body / switch

Quote Originally Posted by Meganoggin View Post
    My two are the same (one direct from TLS and one from KD) no O rings at the window either. Curiously the crenilated bezels are slightly different, one is slightly longer by no more than 1mm.

Both work great with my E1e body / switch
    Meganoggin.... good to hear!

How do you buy directly from TLS? Can you give us a link?

I'm guessing he received it as a sample but if not, I would like to know how to buy direct as well.

Good to hear that they are the same from either source. I'm a little dissapointed that the mark-up is so high from Opticshq but the worth of something is measured by what people will pay for that said item.

I'm guessing he received it as a sample but if not, I would like to know how to buy direct as well.

Good to hear that they are the same from either source. I'm a little dissapointed that the mark-up is so high from Opticshq but the worth of something is measured by what people will pay for that said item.
    All businesses have to charge enough to cover all expenses and then a reasonable amount for profit. OpticsHQ is probably pricing reasonably for the costs they have to cover to keep their doors open and the profit they desire. That said, if a relatively comparable head can be obtained elsewhere for a 1/4 of the price, that's ok with me too! Looking forward to getting my KD T1 and checking out that head!

That came accross incorrectly.

I would love to get those types of margins in the industry I work in but our customers and competition dictate a much lower margin. We import items from China and Korea. The initial puchasing costs look great until you figure in import fees, shipping and etc.. There is always the great customer service and quick ship times that Opticshq offer that add an additional value to the product.

That came accross incorrectly.

I would love to get those types of margins in the industry I work in but our customers and competition dictate a much lower margin. We import items from China and Korea. The initial puchasing costs look great until you figure in import fees, shipping and etc.. There is always the great customer service and quick ship times that Opticshq offer that add an additional value to the product.
    QtrHorse.... I gotcha... totally understood.

TLS won't deal direct for retail sales, I am negotiating with them to become a dealer in the UK. KD must buy in massive quantities, because the price i have been offered is the same that KD retails for the T1!

QtrHorse - you are right, once you have factored in the duty and tax it is not quite the deal you at first think...

For my OpticsHQ/TLS TX2, I measured the following:

- 1xAW16340, E1L body, old E2 Executive twisty tailcap: 6400 lux hot spot at 1 meter. 0.62A tail current draw

- 2xIMR16340, E2 Executive body and twisty tailcap: 8200 lux hot spot at 1 meter, 0.54A tail current draw

I also put the TX2 on my bench power supply. At 3.8V in, I got 0.65A in, which corresponds to the 1xAW16340 case fairly well. At 8V in, I got 0.52A in, which also seems to match the 2xIMR16340 case reasonably well.

Based on the bench power supply data, the TX2 head draws about 4W of power when running in regulation. The driver reaches full regulation at about 4V in.

Only sort of.. I have a milky L1 17500 body that can run a VG F2 head with a P60 drop-in. All I have is an M60W. I'll snap a picture if I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post
    Something that is unique as far as i know

Quote Originally Posted by Blindasabat View Post
    Only sort of.. I have a milky L1 17500 body that can run a VG F2 head with a P60 drop-in. All I have is an M60W. I'll snap a picture if I can.
    Oooo, so there ARE other people out there with modified L1 bodies.

Crenshaw

Quote Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post
    Oooo, so there ARE other people out there with modified L1 bodies.

Crenshaw
    Only a few like yours, Crenshaw... but going farther back, one of my early mods, the Optimator, used a combination of KL3 rev1 head with bored-out L1 or L2 four-flats body. Here are photos of each...

--Scott

Hey Ol' bloody finger can still type huh? LOL

I like the looks of those KL3's

Here we go again!

Anyone got some more?

SureFire E2 Executive host with twisty tailcap, OpticsHQ E2M adapter, SureFire Z46 bezel, and SureFire MN11 lamp assembly driven by 2xIMR16340.

Fantastic Keep them coming - I need some more ideas!!!!

Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161720 ... LastLast