Klarus
Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast

Thread: Surefire Lego?

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Surefire Lego?

I have read so many threads where people on here say that 2x17670's will not fit in a g2 an14 combo. Now this is true, expect when you install an aftermarket switch such as the deal extreme 6p/g2 clicky and gut your switch and simply thread in the new clicky ( costs $3.50 by the way).

I absolutely love this set up. This will be my summer light for camping, bonfires, or whatever. I have 4 g2's and i still grab this one because i know the batteries aren't going to die on me.

6P, M30, 17670/18650. Bulletproof, simple, and quite bright. Long running too.
    Reality is usually scoffed at and illusion is usually king. But in the battle for survival of western civilization it will be reality and not illusion or delusion that determines what the future will bring.

*resurrects thread*

Just showing off my two latest bits of lego - a Vitalgear FB3 and a fourth gen KL1 (which, if only I could get it open, would be soon putting out ~200lm...), which don't seem to play well together. *shrug*

[Vitalgear FB3, Valiantco extender, TnC E2C, Solarforce head w/cheapie ~500lm lamp on 2x 17670]

[KL1, E1 body, McTC, on AW 16340 - my current EDC]

[FB3, KL1 on 2x AA or 17500 (if they worked together...)]

[KL1, Valiantco extender, FB3 on 2x 17670 (doesn't work if I screw the tailcap on...)]

[KL1, Valiantco extender, FB3, on 2x 17670]

[FB3, Valiantco extender, TnC E2C, Solarforce head w/cheapie ~500lm lamp on 2x 17670 in hand]
    Last edited by herbicide; 06-03-2009 at 04:24 AM.
    'Welcome to the dark side... well... bright side... really, really bright side...' - RyanA

SureFire KT1/KT2 TurboHead
    AW Turbo Tower
    Cree K-bin MC-E in 4P
    GD1000 driver
    FiveMega 3xC body
    Accupower low self-discharge NiMH C cells

Last edited by Justin Case; 06-05-2009 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    SureFire KT1/KT2 TurboHead
    AW Turbo Tower
    Cree MC-E in 4P
    FiveMega 3xC body
    Accupower low self-discharge NiMH C cells

I was wondering if someone had done that, very slick. You got beam shots posted somewhere? How's the heat dissipation?

-LT
    lunal tic (n)
    a distinctive behavioral trait or quirk directly related to or caused by light [15th cent. Latin lunaris. Ultimately from an IE word meaning “light,”] and [Early 19th cent. Italian ticchio.] see also: moon quirk

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=232684

There is zero heat issue since the MC-E is very underdriven at 250mA per core using a GD1000 boost-buck driver. With the big capacity NiMH C cells, I should get around 5 hours of run time. I can also use alkalines if necessary.

Hi Herbicide - great resurrection job - I love this thread!

Where did you get the Valiantco extender?

Thanks - Pete
    Last edited by Meganoggin; 07-08-2009 at 12:47 PM.

Justin Case,

The KT fivemega 3C is awesome. With the MC-E you must be getting some great throw out of that quad emitter. Looks really good.

I have a secret build identical to yours, but with 3 "D" li-on cells in the works. It will be a KT-4 bezel instead. I hope to have it together in 3 weeks.

bigchelis
    Surefire 6P with Malkoff M60 simple, bright, efficient.

I didn't have the goal to build a thrower, and this light isn't one. I'm underdriving the MC-E using a GD1000, not direct driving the emitter. SSC P4 towers have better throw since they focus better for a given reflector. This build was all about low voltage, low power consumption, low heat, long run time, and flexibility to use NiMH or alkalines. Still, I'd estimate about 15% greater lumens output vs an SSC P4 U2xxxH-bin driven at 1000mA, while using about 10% less power than the P4. If I wanted to drive the 4P MC-E harder, I could have used a GD1500 to run the LED at 375mA per core. But then the MC-E would be burning about 4.8W instead of 3.1W, which is contrary to my goals for this build. The light draws 0.865A at the tailcap. With about 5Ah capacity for the Accupower NiMH C cells I'm using, that gives me a run time of almost 6 hours. I measured a hot spot of 5000 lux at 1 meter and a midpoint spill of 140 lux at 1 meter. The hot spot is brighter than my Malkoff M30 and my old Gladius, so the underdriven MC-E is no slouch. The spill is huge and also very bright. It puts the so-called SureFire L4 "wall of light" to shame (of course, this lego is also much bigger than the L4).
    Last edited by Justin Case; 06-10-2009 at 07:16 AM.

My newest Legos

Nice mix of E & C series. Moddoo made an 18500 body with E-bezel threads for me. Here it is with a KX1 modded by Bigboy with an SOB1000 driver & Cree Q3 3A and a McC2S modded tailcap.

Here is my recently RE-Milky modded L1 bezel (2nd time to Milky for this one) with a K2 TFFC TVOD on an E1 body with a 60ohm McE2S. Runs 2.0 Amps on IMR16340 measured at 3.8V no load. Not tested fully charged to 4.2V yet.
    (Ignore the non-SF SuperNova high-CRI in the pic below, the 18500 bodied light in the middle, the new K2 TFFC ML1 is on the right with it's new tape):

Quote Originally Posted by bigchelis View Post
    Justin Case,
    I have a secret build identical to yours, but with 3 "D" li-on cells in the works. It will be a KT-4 bezel instead. I hope to have it together in 3 weeks.

bigchelis
    I wouldn't expect a huge throw from this setup. The best I can get for hot spot lux is about 7400 lux at 1 meter using an SRTH. With a KT4, I get about 6500 lux using the same tower (2S2P K-bin MC-E driven by an SOB1000 at 500mA per core). In comparison, I get about 14,000 lux at 1 meter for a tower with an SSC P4 U2SWOH-bin driven by an SOB1000.

Here is my updated collection of Surefire's.

The M2 has gone to a good home.

I probably wont have to take a picture as mine isn't very complex like the rest.

I've got a Single-Mode E2DL and an E1B.

I swapped tail caps so the E1B wasn't as easy to turn on (EDC, don't want it on in my pocket) and the E2DL was easier to turn on under stress as it can be used as a backup tactical light.

About as interesting as my lego is

Quote Originally Posted by Search View Post
    I probably wont have to take a picture as mine isn't very complex like the rest.

I've got a Single-Mode E2DL and an E1B.

I swapped tail caps so the E1B wasn't as easy to turn on (EDC, don't want it on in my pocket) and the E2DL was easier to turn on under stress as it can be used as a backup tactical light.

About as interesting as my lego is
    I love the E1B with my E2Ds tailcap also. Increases grip, protects the button from being turned on in pocket, and just plain looks cool.
    -Mike
    "Blinded by me, You can't see a thing!"

Quote Originally Posted by SUREFIRED View Post
    I love the E1B with my E2Ds tailcap also. Increases grip, protects the button from being turned on in pocket, and just plain looks cool.
    +1

Once I got passed the VERY slight color difference and the fact that the tailcap is the only part with knurling, I was very pleased.

My E2DL works as a backup duty light if need be, so the more tactical tailcap is a plus.

I just received a 2C FiveMega body and moved the KT1/MC-E/GD1000 to that body. The overall length is shorter than a 2C Maglite. For the 3C FM body, I attached a 6P anti-roll bezel (Pyrex window) and a modified DX11836 P60 drop-in. I removed the stock driver from the DX11836 and replaced it with a 3xAMC7135 single mode driver. When driven by 3xC Accupower NiMH cells, I measured 1.05A current draw at the tail. For the MC-E tower on the 2C FM body, it is now running in boost mode and has the same output it did in buck mode on the 3C body.

Last edited by Justin Case; 06-18-2009 at 05:13 AM.

I finally managed to score an SW02 for my WA1111 blaster.

Quote Originally Posted by soup_monger View Post
    I finally managed to score an SW02 for my WA1111 blaster.
    Mean looking - I like it!

OK, somebody actually got the one on the right to work in the Homemade & Modified forum. It is a two-piece Solarforce L2 body.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blindasabat View Post
    Also from the "This doesn't quite work" department:

On the right next to an E1L for size comparison: Mini "Zero-P" with KL3 - battery not yet made to fit it. Unless a few CR2032's will work.

Finally got my TLS head....... little Lego

Yeah, those TLS heads kick @$$!

I've got a couple of the E2 versions. Nice combo of flood & throw.

I thought about getting a Surefire 3P clone. Clone as in, z41 tailcap and 6P bezel along with either a Solarforce, or FM custom body. But since money is a bit tight, I think I'll just get an E1 TLS head and use that on my E1E.

Edit:

Who am I kidding. I'll likely get the 3P clone soon too.
    Last edited by Monocrom; 07-06-2009 at 07:27 PM. Reason: See Above.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Yeah, those TLS heads kick @$$!

I've got a couple of the E2 versions. Nice combo of flood & throw.

I thought about getting a Surefire 3P clone. Clone as in, z41 tailcap and 6P bezel along with either a Solarforce, or FM custom body. But since money is a bit tight, I think I'll just get an E1 TLS head and use that on my E1E.
    Monocrom.. have you thought about checking these out... I think there's a good chance the heads on these may be about the same if not the same as the TLS heads that sell for $80 here. Might well be worth the twenty some odd dollars to find out... they are made by TLS!

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDeta...ProductId=7339

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDeta...ProductId=7337

Thanks for the links, DHart. But that site has gotten one too many Jeers over at the MarketPlace. Honestly, it's gotten so bad, I'd rather pay the extra over at Optics HQ. Also, something about that deal that just seems too good to be true.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Thanks for the links, DHart. But that site has gotten one too many Jeers over at the MarketPlace. Honestly, it's gotten so bad, I'd rather pay the extra over at Optics HQ. Also, something about that deal that just seems too good to be true.
    I'd have to say that I haven't brought myself to buy anything from Kai myself... I'm leery of them also... though I have had a number of excellent purchases with DX. I still think there's a decent chance of getting a great head for a very low price, if one is willing to skate out closer to the thin ice.

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    I'd have to say that I haven't brought myself to buy anything from Kai myself... I'm leery of them also... though I have had a number of excellent purchases with DX. I still think there's a decent chance of getting a great head for a very low price, if one is willing to skate out closer to the thin ice.
    A very good point. However, for personal reasons, I'll play in the house located down the street from the frozen lake.

Good find DHart,

I will be the guinea pig and order one. Compared to the TLS price, this is one heck of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    Monocrom.. have you thought about checking these out... I think there's a good chance the heads on these may be about the same if not the same as the TLS heads that sell for $80 here. Might well be worth the twenty some odd dollars to find out... they are made by TLS!

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDeta...ProductId=7339

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDeta...ProductId=7337

Quote Originally Posted by QtrHorse View Post
    Good find DHart,

I will be the guinea pig and order one. Compared to the TLS price, this is one heck of a deal.
    YEAH! QtrHorse Way to go, my friend. Please do report back... if these lights do use the same TLS head, that would be AWESOME!

Got a little carried away today:

C2D
    Last edited by ElectronGuru; 07-07-2009 at 11:13 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by ElectronGuru View Post
    C2D
    Looks great

edit:
    Meganoggin,
    Need to edit that quote(hit enter between the [/img][img] brackets), so it's not screwing up the whole page.
    Last edited by Owen; 07-08-2009 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Meganoggin,
    Need to edit that quote(hit enter between the [/img][img] brackets), so it's not screwing up the whole page.
    Thanks for the heads up Owen, think I have sorted it.

Pete

Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast