Another Headlamp

3mw

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, can you please help me out? I'm looking for a headlamp for hurricane season, power outages, kayaking/canoeing, fishing, auto, and home repairs. I would like to find a headlamp with these features:

* flawless flood pattern (WHITE)
* waterproof preferred
* regulated
* low battery indicator
* NO top strap on headband
* multi-level w/strobe
* red LED or lens option
* price under $50 if possible
* no battery pack or cord
* light weight
* ability to use rechargeable cells preferred

If you the chose the PT Quad, so did I, but I was not very happy with the BLUISH:thumbsdow color from the LED's and the annoying lines within the pattern. Thanks.

fishx65

Enlightened
Take out the red led and battery indicator and your talking about my EOS with a flip down diffuser. I had to add the diffuser and will soon be installing a Seoul emitter for more lumens. Even in it's stock form, the EOS will serve you well.

pmoney

Newly Enlightened
What about the PT quad tactical? Its doesn't have the spotlight style power of the Eos, but it does have a red filter and has regulated LEDs. Just a thought.

Its throw is a bit blueish though.

3mw

Newly Enlightened
Take out the red led and battery indicator and your talking about my EOS with a flip down diffuser. I had to add the diffuser and will soon be installing a Seoul emitter for more lumens. Even in it's stock form, the EOS will serve you well.

fishx65, do you have any pics with the flip down diffuser? Thanks

3mw

Newly Enlightened
What about the PT quad tactical? Its doesn't have the spotlight style power of the Eos, but it does have a red filter and has regulated LEDs. Just a thought.

Its throw is a bit blueish though.

I was looking at the PT Quad Tactical on www.brightguy.com. Do you have one?

fishx65

Enlightened
3MW, I was able to attach the diffuser that comes with the 1AA Rayovac to my EOS. This thread has some pics of the Rayovac: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/169468
My EOS looks like it came from the factory with this diffuser!

The Rayovac is a nice inexpensive headlamp that might interest you but I don't like switching through all of the modes to get to the luxeon. I do have a couple of blurry pics that I took with my camera phone I can E-mail you. Just send me a PM with your E-mail address.

aggato

Newly Enlightened
Petzl Tactikka XP is all you need, I have one and it´s a great light:twothumbs

Windscale

Enlightened
Take a look at the Favourlight 3Watt (reviewed in flashlightsreview.com). It has been my EDC for a long time. However, it is not happy with rechargeable 123As so it has now retired to the shelf.

nzbazza

Enlightened
Take a look at the Favourlight 3Watt (reviewed in flashlightsreview.com). It has been my EDC for a long time. However, it is not happy with rechargeable 123As so it has now retired to the shelf.

I use mine with 3.0V Li-Ion's rechargables for the past 2 1/2 years and it has been fine. I don't know how well it would work on 3.7V Li-Ions.

3.0V rechargables work fine on the HLX-712L Lux1 version as well.

nzbazza

Enlightened
* flawless flood pattern (WHITE)
* waterproof preferred
* regulated
* low battery indicator
* NO top strap on headband
* multi-level w/strobe
* red LED or lens option
* price under $50 if possible
* no battery pack or cord
* light weight
* ability to use rechargeable cells preferred

I am not aware of a headlamp that has every single feature listed but the following are close:

Priceton Tec Eos modded with P4 and reflector
Petzl Tactika XP
Zebralight H50
Black Diamond Spot

Windscale

Enlightened
I use mine with 3.0V Li-Ion's rechargables for the past 2 1/2 years and it has been fine. I don't know how well it would work on 3.7V Li-Ions.

3.0V rechargables work fine on the HLX-712L Lux1 version as well.

I must try 3.0v RCR123As again. The last time I did this the high (green mode) did not come on and runtime was only 20 minutes. I will charge up another 2x 3.0v and have another go. I will not risk 3.7v because two of them can go up to (2x 4.2v) 8.4v and I think this will be too much. The Favourlight 3Watt was a light that I dearly loved. It is light, bright and powerful. Thanks for reviving my interest.

3mw

Newly Enlightened
I have one. It's still got the blueish tint to the LED'd, but it's nice.

FWIW, I bought the Made in USA version from BrightGuy. :thumbsup:

john

What's the difference between the "Made in China" and the "Made in the USA" model? Thanks.

3mw

Newly Enlightened
I am not aware of a headlamp that has every single feature listed but the following are close:

Priceton Tec Eos modded with P4 and reflector
Petzl Tactika XP
Zebralight H50
Black Diamond Spot

I was on the Petzl site last night and I like the Tactika XP. What color tint have you guys noticed from the Tactika XP? How weather resistant is this light? Can it take a good dunking?

I know the Zebralight is not on the market yet, but I was wondering if any of you guys have field tested the Zebralight H50?

Also, I might hang on to the PT Quad since I was able to get it for only $20. I was thinking about adding a PT Pilot (red) to the headband. What do you guys think? What is the output like on the PT Pilot?