4 Sevens

Thread: Pelican 7060 vs Streamlight Stinger LED?

Default Pelican 7060 vs Streamlight Stinger LED?

The police department I work for is testing these lights. Which do you think would make a better belt light for a patrolman? Pros and cons of each?
    Dennis Bible

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Pelican 7060 vs Streamlight Stinger LED?

I think SL missed the boat with the Stinger-LED. It's a BIG light (larger than a regular and XT Stinger), I think too big for belt carry.

Output is average 3watt LED.

The 7060 has better output, and is smaller. The big current drawback is the lack of data on Cree longevity and the lack of currently available carry options.

I have tried the Streamlight LED, it isn't bright enough in comparison to the newer Cree LED's. I find the Surefire 6P with a Cree LED dropin quite bright in comparison. I think the Pelican 7060 might be better, but I haven't seen one or used one.

Ed

I have to go with the Pelican 7060 since the Stinger LED seems to be streamlights some what poor attempt at catching up with other companies who were making higher output rechargeable lights. At the same size or slightly smaller you can get a Surefire L7 which puts out a lot more light that the Stinger LED. How ever, the stinger LED does have adjustable output values (high, medium, low ,strobe) but that is just an extra feature and in the long run it might be more advantageous to have a variable output but, for the time being , the Pelican is the better choice

Flashaholic*

I take back my initial post. My 7060 arrived, and it's as big as the Stinger LED....Maybe a little bigger in the head, and heavier...

Ugh....

--dan

dano,
    Is the 7060's beam bright enough that you would consider it as a replacement to the Stinger LED? Or will the Stinger's smoother beam help it get more use on a daily/weekly basis?
    "I only smile in the dark...my only comfort is the night gone black..."lyrics from Garbage

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
    dano,
    Is the 7060's beam bright enough that you would consider it as a replacement to the Stinger LED? Or will the Stinger's smoother beam help it get more use on a daily/weekly basis?
    I also have the Stinger LED and after giving the 7060 a charge until the indicator turned green, I compared the beam of both and the 7060 is brighter than the Stinger LED. I'll still keep the Stinger as a backup.
    Johnnie
    Surefire E1L KX-1, L1(Cree), A2(Y/G) Pelican 7060/8060,, Photon ReX Photon Freedom Micro: white, NV Green, Yellow, Orange.

guam9092, thanks!
    I look forward to hearing how you liked it, after using it tonight.
    "I only smile in the dark...my only comfort is the night gone black..."lyrics from Garbage

Flashaholic*

The 7060 is a lot brighter than the S-LED.

Neither one, IMO, is good for belt carry. Too big...

--dan

Flashaholic* light_emitting_dude's Avatar

A smaller Strion LED version with a Q5 cree would be appealing. I'm still suprised that SL went a tad bigger with the stinger LED. Seems alot of fellow LEOs' are switching to the Strion because of the smaller size.

I have 2 stinger LEDs which I have modded with an SSC and a KLC8 for improved brightness. A plus is that the stinger LEDs can charge in the same charger as the old incan stinger and most accessories work with the exception of holders/sheaths. Haven't had a chance to check out a Pelican 7060 tho.
    Once a Marine, Always a Marine. Semper Fi

Flashaholic*

Default Pelican 7060 vs Streamlight Stinger LED?

What next? Perhaps a Cree LED light that will fit in the Streamlight Strion charger?

(Just kidding!)

I don't know if they've got any new offerings and how they are, but all of the previous luxeon based SL lights are stinkers!

Quote Originally Posted by Trashman View Post
    I don't know if they've got any new offerings and how they are, but all of the previous luxeon based SL lights are stinkers!
    I disagree. The Propolymer 4AA and 3C are still quite decent lights.

Absolute rubbish!!! The propolymer 4aa is an awesome light!

You guys got me. I wasn't thinking of those. I was thinking of the Xenon lights that were also made in LED, like the Stinger and the TL-3. (especially, the TL-3)

You guys got me. I wasn't thinking of those. I was thinking of the Xenon lights that were also made in LED, like the Stinger and the TL-3. (especially, the TL-3)
    I would have been soooo happy to see a cree/rebel Tl-3. The 5 watt badly tinted and driven led SL choose to put in it was (is) a real waste of potential.

Would anyone have a size comparison of the two?
    Dennis Bible

It's a shame that streamlight's tactical line of flashlights still use the old Luxeon I and Luxeon V emitters, and only recently have they "stepped up" to the Luxeon III with the Stinger LED, the Task Light 2L, and some weapon mounted lights.

They really aught to get around to swapping out those old emitter’s with something new, like the Seoul P4.
    Last edited by Modern_Major_General; 09-03-2007 at 09:54 PM. Reason: new info

Anyone have ant photo's of the 7060 and the Stinger side by side ?

I have a 7060 on order. It sounds like a nice bright LED light.

I was under the impression it had a strobe function but based on the various reports here it has never been mentioned so I'm guessing no strobe.
    In god we trust.........all others are suspects
    There are no problems in life that can not be solved with high explosives or small arms
    Too many new lights to list

I ended up getting the Stinger LED.

Some of the reasons I chose it over the Pelican:

No uniform shops here had the Pelican.

I already had some Stinger fast chargers that I can use with this light.

Authorized Streamlight repair center in town.
    Dennis Bible

Quote Originally Posted by shootist16 View Post
    I ended up getting the Stinger LED.

Some of the reasons I chose it over the Pelican:

No uniform shops here had the Pelican.

I already had some Stinger fast chargers that I can use with this light.

Authorized Streamlight repair center in town.
    I think your reasons for buying the Stinger LED are good ones. The Pelican is brighter, but as the new SF e2l shows, brightness is not always everything.

Quote Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
    I think your reasons for buying the Stinger LED are good ones. The Pelican is brighter, but as the new SF e2l shows, brightness is not always everything.
    For wich reason you have a Flashlight? For good looking ? then you are right with SF

I'm mandated to carry a full size light, metal or polymer. A small back light up is optional. The SL Stinger LED & 7060 is not considered "full size" by my dept.'s regs. I've been loyal to Streamlights for many years but i must say they have been very slow catching up with the LED advancements. Pelican though seems to be a trendsetter. My primary duty lights (meaning full size) include both Pelican & Streamlight.
    Last edited by john2551; 09-05-2007 at 03:16 PM.
    Primary duty lights: (metal) Elektrolumens Pentalux 4C; (polymer) Pelican M8 LED; (hybrid) StreamLight 3C-XP
    Searchlight: AE PowerLight PL14
    Back-up mini lights: Nuwai TM301X-5, X-3, X-1
    Special LED signaling lights: Torfino ICE light, Inova 24/7, Adventurelights VIP

NYPD flag, adopted in 1919

I have both Streamlight SL20X and the Pelican 7060. They both have their place. The modded SL20X is bright and very useful. The Pelican 7060 is smaller, has the tactical switch and I can carry it on my duty belt in a Bianchi Accumold open top baton pouch.
    James
    TigerLight Vers II, ASP Triad, SF Z2, M3, L6, A2, Inova T2,**9-11-01 "Let's Roll"**

I know you have already picked up the SL but you can always return it, sell it, or use it as a back up or house light.

The Pelican 7060 is like nite and day compared to the SL.
    You have to use one to see what everyone is talking about.
    It's much brighter, built like a tank and looks cool too.

Three ways to turn it on is a great feature. There are many holsters that are now out for it in cordura, Plain leather, and basketweave. As this light takes off you will see many more options become available.

The SL is a good light too but the Pelican is a great light.

Just my 2Cents
    "Time to hit the RESET button"

Its not even close the 7060 is way,way brighter and feels way better built there both pretty big but bot maglight big.