Win a Gatlight V3 - Photo & Photo(shop) contest

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDATE:

VOTE HERE FOR THE BEST PHOTOSHOP GATLIGHT SHOT. Comments can go to the end of this thread.

http://www.lumencraft.net/competition.htm

----------------------------------------------------
Ok in fact we are having 2 competitions and the winners will get each a GatLight V3.

The Two competitions are:
1) Best Photoshopped GatLight V3 Photo(s) - so anyone can win even if you don't own a GatLight. How? You download the GatLight Image Pack (9MB) which contains high resolution GatLight Photos. Also more photos can be found in the GatLight V3 Thread (see my signature) as well as on gatlight.com click on photos. You can also take any existing photo posted here and start from there. Than use your imagination and photoshop them, collage, merge, distort, blend in with whatever you want, extend it, bend it, morph it, make a comic, picture story, anything you can think off and that can be posted here. Than use imageshack.us (or whatever you want) and upload the highest resolution result you got and post it here. Also mention that your submission is for the photoshop contest not the photo contest. Also feel free to describe what you used to create your artwork, how you did it, what you did (if you want to - that way us normal mortals can learn something).

2) Best GatLight Photo - here you need a GatLight (preferably a V3) to take a photo.. can be yours or a friend's etc. Same thing again, upload it to imageshack.us and post a link. You can use photoshop to do normal image corrections (particle/dust removel, contrast, brightness, color balance etc.etc.). However no major operations like replacing backgrounds etc, those go into the first contest. The photos submitted for the first contest (check them out to see what you're up against) can not be reentered (we wanna see new pics).

Kyle and I will than preselect our favorite pictures for each contest. We'll than have CPF users vote on the best ones for each contest. And the winners will either get a free GatLight V3 or maybe even our next flashlight we're working on (which I think is equally dramatic - but different).

Also you agree that all works of art and all photos and submissions become public domain - meaning anyone (including us) can use them for any purpose.

Anyway good luck to everyone. We'll likely close the competition around Christmas... and lets see some photos...

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my entry for the Photoshop contest. To celebrate the rebirth of the Transformers I outfitted Ironhide with Gatlight blasters, and worked a Gatlight into one of the round buildings in the background.

Here's my 2nd entry. For this I used a photograph I actually took of Port Headlight Lighthouse in Maine, click to view larger:

Thought I'd add a 2nd version of the Transformer Iron Hide with his Gatlight blasters where it's easier to see the Gats. Can you find all three? :)

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are my competition pics so far. I don't know which ones should go in the normal comp and which in the Photoshop comp, so I'll leave it for someone else to decide. I intended these to be in the normal comp, as they're not totally ridiculous or obviously doctored. As described below, my biggest Photoshopping changes were to pixelate backgrounds to hide other people or miscellany, and to compensate for optical limitations.

This is the one I posted earlier, with a head-on look at a Gatlight V3 on low. Minimal Photoshopping, like cropping and unsharp masking.

In this next one, I did the usual crop/unsharp/shadow/highlight stuff, and I also pixelated the background, since it included my mother.

Just the usual crop/unsharp/etc.

Again, the usual crop/unsharp/etc.

This next shot would be impossible with current photographic techniques, AFAIK. I zoomed in and focused for the shot of the moon, zoomed out and focused for the shot of the V3, then combined the two images in Photoshop.

For these next two, I did the usual stuff, plus pixelated the background.

Enjoy. If I manage to get any more, I'll post them.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
boosterboy - excellent idea :), very well made.

These are pictures for the photoshop contest (I will add some more later):
gatlinggatlightcg9.jpg

Here is Gatlight in pop-culture :grin2::
warhol2dl3.gif

Indy, it's a trap! :eek:
indianajz7.jpg

Here's Terminator with his gatlight on night patrol...
arnieeq9.jpg

Working on another one ... :thinking:

Last edited:

Dinan

Newly Enlightened
Decided to do a photo oriented for simplicity with photoshop using the "DSCN3591.JPG" pic. I've never actually seen one in person so I don't know how it looks lit up but this is how I would like it to look =)

Made a 2nd one from the "DSCN3601.JPG" pic. If there's a cool slogan for Gatlight I'd be happy to add it in =)

Simple kinda wallpaper

Let there be light =)

Last edited:

AluminumOvercast

Enlightened
I couldn't sleep so I got bored and made this.

**Image Removed**

Boosterboy,

Not sure if we know each other but I'd appreciate it if you didn't use my photo which you modified for personal gain (to win a contest). I have all rights to the photos I take and SureFire has excluse use of them. I know this is all for fun, but there is a point where it crosses the line. I don't mind you hiring your own model and mimicking the shot but definitely not cool with overlays on my work. I kindly ask you to remove it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boosterboy,

Not sure if we know each other but I'd appreciate it if you didn't use my photo which you modified for personal gain (to win a contest). I have all rights to the photos I take and SureFire has excluse use of them. I know this is all for fun, but there is a point where it crosses the line. I don't mind you hiring your own model and mimicking the shot but definitely not cool with overlays on my work. I kindly ask you to remove it.

Thanks in advance.
I guess you could say the same thing about the Photoshop entries with shots from copyrighted movies (Transformers, Indy, etc.) or other artwork (Beatles, etc.). The only difference is that I don't think Paramount, or Apple, or any of these big companies is going to post a cease-and-desist on CPF. :laughing:

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
(Am I allowed to upload more than 1 photoshop entry?)
..."Kyle and I will than preselect our favorite pictures for each contest."...
I would say probably yes, but let's wait for mobile1's word.

AluminumOvercast

Enlightened
What the big screeners do or not, isn't my problem.

I guess you could say the same thing about the Photoshop entries with shots from copyrighted movies (Transformers, Indy, etc.) or other artwork (Beatles, etc.). The only difference is that I don't think Paramount, or Apple, or any of these big companies is going to post a cease-and-desist on CPF. :laughing:

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys, regarding copyright laws I don't know whether copyright law applies to obviously edited pictures. If you look for example at perezhilton.com that site is using nothing but copyrighted photos, however he is allowed to do so because he adds little marks, sketches to each photo which changes the meaning.

Also there are many sites on the web that do nothing but photoshop other photos. There is a magazine out there in the US - called ad-buster - that uses existing corporate ads - and basically turns them into negative advertising - by adding hidden dangers, risks, hypocracy of what those companies are doing. If there were any legal way to prevent the use of existing advertising campaigns in a magazine, those companies would have shut it all down long time ago. However they didn't because they coudn't. . I am not a lawyer but my guess is that copyright wise photoshopping a photo where the result is obviously different is allowed.

Now back to the issue at hand - if Overcase objects to this use of his photo I'd suggest we respect his wish - even though the legal situation is most likely different - you ok with that boosterboy...

PS However on a personal note in regards to that photo - Surefire claimed for the Titan to be the first variable brightness light - which clearly isn't true - The GatLight V2 was available earlier with that feature - which by the way I personally showed to PK a year before the Titan came out....

OH AN YES YOU CAN SUBMIT MULTIPLE PHOTOS. The competition will be done the same way as the old one. Where each competitor will get his own gallery - like http://competition.Lumencraft.net

Darell

Flashaholic
I'd like to take just a moment here to express my appreciation of how that Titan/Gat image situation was handled by the involved parties. The issue/question was presented clearly and with civility - and it was answered with friendly and appropriate action.

I don't much care for, or even understand the laws involved here. What I care about is how we treat each other. And if we ALL cared about that, we woldn't need so many laws that we don't understand, eh?

Thanks guys. Gave me the warm-fuzzies this morning. Group hug, anybody?

Last edited:

Noxonomus

Newly Enlightened
:grouphug:

I won't claim to know about copyright law, I know there are all kinds of rules about parody such that I never remember well enough to rely on. Which is why I like to play it safe. I like to use flickrs advanced search which has options to only return results with a creative commons licence that allows alteration and commercial use. There are many people who are quite happy to let you use their work so long as you give them credit for what they have done.

Now that thats out of the way, the worlds most robust hummingbird feeder.

The original picture was by Jabzg

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

For the record, the city background in my entry isn't from Transformers, and the Transformer image came from a .PNG file that appears to have been release for public use. I didn't just take a shot from the movie, I took a background image, put the Transformer into the shot with some added effects, and added in the Gatlights. From seeing some of the other entries I think I'm going to have to come up with something better, but it was more for fun than anything else. :)