Black Moon LTD
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GATLIGHT V2 UPGRADE - INTEREST THREAD

Default Re: GATLIGHT V2 UPGRADE - INTEREST THREAD

And what about V1 upgrades???

When I ship in my two V2 modules to you it would be easy also to add my three V1 modules.
    I would be happy if you could just exchange the LEDs on them to P4's

Jochen

Flashaholic*

I am in for option 2.

Thanks,
    rob

Admin formerly
    known as 'Sasha'

I'm still waiting for mobile1 to start a new thread at the MarketPlace so I can close this one.

Flashaholic

I'd definately like to buy into an upgrade, though again as an overseas customer I don't want to ship the light.

The improvement in the control and increased output are both very desirable features.

It seems to me that the LED / driver assembly is complete and potted, so not something to be modified. I have the long version of the Gat II which is designed to take a high capacity rechargeable and doesn't accept primaries but I'd prefer to keep all the existing bits and simply buy a complete new V3 LED/driver assembly at a price that gives you a profit for your trouble.

I can live with shortening the life of a few rechargeables and having to remember not to turn it up above 70% !

Cheers
    Vandrecken
    -----------

Sasha - we're currently looking at our options given the current situation - we'll have a decision by middle of this week August 8th, likely earlier.

Ironic Re: GATLIGHT V2 UPGRADE - INTEREST THREAD

Hmm, how hard can it be, the only option is to start a new thread in CPFMP or a different forum...
    BART

Admin formerly
    known as 'Sasha'

Quote Originally Posted by mobile1 View Post
    Sasha - we're currently looking at our options given the current situation - we'll have a decision by middle of this week August 8th, likely earlier.
    I guess I don't understand this either... You told me in your PM that you would move over to the MarketPlace once the V3 was delivered. My understanding is that the V3 has been delivered and things are wrapping up with that sale. I provided your account with posting permissions for the Manufacturer's Corner until the end of August... for free. Your PM to me also said that you would move to the MP if you are given the rights to a Lumencraft sub forum. That right there indicates to me your acknowledgement that you are indeed a manufacturer and that is where your sales belong. Why would you expect that you be treated any differently than any other manufacturer on CPF or CPFMP? Would that be fair?

I guess I just need to learn not to take people at their word....

Although, i did not receive my V3, i hope it to arrive this week with no descrepancies. I am ready to post in the MP thread but looks like all the GatLight activity is here in CPF.

I don't feel like getting in between this drama but i felt the line was crossed when special wholesale pricing was offered to dealers.

-SF2

Count me in as interested in a Number 2 upgrade for all three of my V2's. As long as I can find the appropriate thread, in the appropriate forum that is.....

Admin formerly
    known as 'Sasha'

mobile1... do you have anything further to comment on this? Should I just go ahead and close this thread then?

I hate to say this but the gatlight was not the first variable output light available.
    It is my understanding that the MrBulk LION CUB was completly variable from 0 to 100%.
    Your claim that the gatlight was the "first variable brightness driver" is completly false. The Lion Cub was made well before the first Gatlight was made.
    Yaesumofo

Quote Originally Posted by mobile1 View Post
    Dear GatLight V2 owner
    Most of you probably saw that we have finally delivered the V3 version. After having delivered the V3 we would like to open an interest thread here regarding upgrading GatLight V2s.

The V2 was revolutionary in such that it introduced the (contrary to Surefire's Titan claims), however we've always felt that the V2 was not perfect. The brightness control was a bit flickery, the battery would drain if the knob was not completely in the off position. And also the driver falls out when the battery is removed.

Having just rolled out the V3 we feel that we've finally mastered the technique and we would like to get the chance to upgrade the V2 GatLights to what we feel a perfect user interface for the V2. This will NOT include a push button switch like the V3, however a smooth variable brightness control, an upgrade to the current LED generation and also a fix for the battery drain if the light is not completely turned off.
    Our goal with this upgrade is to bring the V2 to a level where we feel it is perfect for what we intended it to be.

There are 2 ways we can achieve this:

Option 1: We take the existing V2 driver, and upgrade the LED to a Seoul P4 Led as well as make some modifications to the driver that reduces any flickering. Also we add a retaining ring which will keep the driver in the front housing (so no more falling out of the driver). However the battery drain if you do not completely turn off the light will not be fixed. You'll end up with a smoothly working light, still optimized for use with rechargeables (drainage only to a save level), upgraded to the latest LED generation. Cost of this upgrade would be less than $50. The LED would be driven very hard at max (1000mA).

Option 2: In this option we would install a V3 driver in the GatLight V3. You'll get smooth brightness changes, when the light turns on it would turn on at full brightness... so no more battery drain if the light is not completely rotated to the end - since the light turns on at max brightness than as you keep turning it would dim, you'll see that the light is on.. and if you rotate it to when the light is off, it is off nor more drain (no need to rotate all the way back). Also we'd install a retaining ring to keep the driver in the front. V3 drivers are optimized for primary cells, however also work with rechargeables however they drain them to a level which will significantly shorten your rechargeables life. So ideal use here is with a primary 123 cell. Doing this option would mean making new circuit boards, new v3 driver etcs. and costs would be higher than $50, probably $60.

Option 3: Basically Option 1 and 2 combined. You'll send your existing driver and we'll upgrade it as described, and you'll get a V3 driver for use with primaries.

Generally our goal with this is not to make money - the prices are pretty much our costs. You will be required to send in your GatLight for the change, to prevent that our drivers go out and are used for other projects.

AT THIS POINT THIS IS ONLY AN INTEREST THREAD. LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK AND IN WHICH OPTION YOU'D BE INTERESTED IN.
    If there is interest we'd like to do this (whether its just option 1 or Option 2 and 3 as well is open at this point). Also time when we'll do this is open at the moment.
    Support your local flashlight builder.
    Buy American. Stop crying and start Buying.
    Flashlights are tools. Period.

Actually, if I am not mistaken, the Mr Bulk Lion Cub has 64 levels of control. This means that its not continuously variable. Distinct levels mean that it operates in a discontinuous manor. The only light we have seen thus far that is continuously variable is the Titan. And our initial release was more than 1 year before the Titan.

I must emphasize that we are not discrediting Charlie's designs. He make truly phenomenal lights, we are just clarifying our claim.

-Kyle
    Last edited by LumenCraft1; 08-07-2007 at 10:58 PM.

Flashaholic

I`m in for 2-3 x V2

Greetings
    Olaf

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: LUMENCRAFT IS LEAVING CPF
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Kyle and I have decided that due to recent developments on cpf we will move all Lumencraft Activities (which currently is the GatLight V3 thread, the GatLight V2 upgrade thread, all future product announcements & discussions, production update and support and other threads away from CPF Candlepowerforums. More details in regards to where those activities can be found in the future is mentioned on our - newly designed- website at Lumencraft.net (click on news).

I know that for many of you, this is an inconvenience and we are sorry about this. We respect CPF and the people who are running it. They know what is best for cpf and can see what is best for their community. For Lumencraft (Kyle & myself) and past August 10th, cpf does not provide us the same platform we've enjoyed the past 3 years - some of you might have seen Sasha's post.

In order to prevent emails, phone calls and pm's in regards to this issue we will start a brief underground thread with a couple more details.

To continue the existing threads V2 Upgrade, GatLight V3 visit our website to find out in what forum those can be found in. In a little while when we announce our next product we'll inform all of our existing customers about this change.

We're sad to leave but given the current developments it is the only option that is left for us. Thank you to everyone here.

We hope that sometimes in the future there is an opportunity again to work together with cpf.

Best regards

Walter & Kyle
    Lumencraft

Admin formerly
    known as 'Sasha'

OK... well good luck to you both!

This thread is now closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12