Novatac USB programmer

SunnyQueensland

Enlightened
Could everyone who has any knowledge of the Novatac USB programmer please post links/thoughts here...

I found this. Quote; 'The computer interface replaces the tail cap for programming' Not sure how reliable the info is but it sounds interesting if it becomes a reality.

I would say thats why there are individual rings so as to make contact with the programmer. I thought USB needs 4 points of contact, -/+ Data, 5V and ground, so I'm not sure. See pic below- Thanks to 'Esthan'

hds_3.jpg

BBL

Enlightened
I'm quite sure the lights only offer a standard rs232 interface - that would require ground, rx and tx - three contacts.

The usb-interface itself comens from a rs232->usb adapter.

And i'm sure that we are not going to see anything like that for sale.

SunnyQueensland

Enlightened
I sent Jim Schecter an email concerning this and about replacing the lens.

Changing the lens is not recommended. NovaTacs' warranty does not cover modifications.

There is no "USB programmer" available.

There may be a 2xAA battery tube in the future. We don't know when.

There you go. From the horses mouth so to speak. Oh well, would have been neat. :sigh:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I understand it, the only way to program it is by the tailswitch using clicks, press, and press and hold inputs. I'd imagine someone could rig up something though if they were motivated enough. Or does removing the tailswitch cause a memory loss/reset ?

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
You only need ground, positive, and signal. 3 wires/lines.

I do not see this coming out for novatac, possibly hds though.

Essentially you're communicating with the light using morse code when you use the switch. A programming interface could/would simply use the same method.

It could be as easy as, press 5000 times to enter the menu. This would be impossible with a manual switch, but easy with an electronic one.

paulr

Flashaholic
Dallas Semiconductor has a 2-wire bidirectional interface setup that's widely used in embedded systems and in ibuttons (www.ibutton.com). I've also posted the idea a few times of using the led itself for communication with a computer, either with a small photodetector or using the flashlight led as a photodetector as well.

drew2001

Newly Enlightened
Will be interesting for the tech aspect of what you find out thanks!

You only need ground, positive, and signal. 3 wires/lines.

I do not see this coming out for novatac, possibly hds though.

Essentially you're communicating with the light using morse code when you use the switch. A programming interface could/would simply use the same method.

It could be as easy as, press 5000 times to enter the menu. This would be impossible with a manual switch, but easy with an electronic one.

Another model noted: I tried to 'get into' my P3D interface. I manually operated the push button as fast as I could tap through, I must admit I'm not sure whether or not I 'clicked' a couple times early into it, or just succeded in doing a mass assault through taps onwards. But the end result changed its protocol after about at least a hundred taps as rapid-rapid as I could.

I stopped and turned it off. Paused then clicked it on. This now caused the program to then 'start' at medium-high-low-SOS and each time a succesive tap would loop the same progression. I tried it from off to on after a pause of course, and it kept this med-high-low-SOS format. I tried to leave it in the low position, then wait, then click it off and wait, hoping to cause it to click-off and memorize, but it still stayed in its new format until i removed the batteries and then let it set staying off for a minute, then reassemble and it then returned to original protocol. The return to the tap through to low-med-high-SoS.

oh well just learning and sharing new finds for me, Thanks!

- it does appears as though some LE programs may be user programmable, but how about a Fenix LE circuit like mine happening like this, anyone tried it?

-drew

Last edited: