Advice needed Fenix P1D CE or P2D for EDC

leprechaun414

Enlightened
I am looking for advice/ Input as to the EDC between the Fenix P1D CE and the P2D RB100? I noticed the size is 2.8 inches long on the P1D CE and 3.1 on the P2D RB100. Would the difference in .3 inches be that much? I currently carry a Peirce M10 but want to upgrade a little. Thanks in advance for all suggestions and advice.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Rebel light is probably going to have a better tint. Plus the P2D has a clickie, while the P1D-CE has a twisty switch.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me P1D is even too short. I have two of them and they are great in your pocket but when you use them they tend to slip out of hand. P2D is surely easier to handle and has a much better U.I.

LA OZ

Enlightened
P2D Ce for sure. I am carrying one as EDC. It is almost too short to be handle comfortably. I used to have the P1D CE when it first come out. It was bright but I found it too difficult to handle. Short and twisty combination does not work well for me.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started with a P1D-CE, now I have a P2D-CE and I love it and find it perfect for EDC. I got one with a Q2 bin CREE, but try and get one with a Q5 bin or a Rebel 100lm. fenix-store.com has great service and provides a Q5 bin upgrade service if you're willing to spend the extra money to have it done.

jeremyison05

Newly Enlightened
I tried the P1D when at first, but didn't like it. Like kilovolt said, twistie+ short isn't good for my large hands, I like the P2D because it's a clickie.

leprechaun414

Enlightened
Thanks for the advice. I was interested to hear about the P1 and if people were happier with the P2D. I have ordered a P2D. Thanks again for the advice.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I prefer to have a clicky, albeit a reverse, so the P2D rebel would be my choice. I really like my Cree P2D. Definitely worth the money.

carrot

Flashaholic
The Rebel light is probably going to have a better tint. Plus the P2D has a clickie, while the P1D-CE has a twisty switch.
Sorry, based on what do you make that assumption? Cree has shown that they are quite able to consistently manufacture LEDs that meet spec (and with less tint variance) whereas Lumileds has been falling short lately. If you have data I'd love to see it...

PayBack

Enlightened
Too late now since you've ordered your light but I must come to the defence of the P1D CE.. I have it and have never had trouble holding it securely (yes I'm an adult with adult hands ;)) or turning it on or off one handed. Plus it clips to my belt loop while fitting in the fob pocket just below the loob. Great light.

PayBack

Enlightened
Well I can't add much really but with a good battery it puts out amazing light for it's size and you're unlikely to need more modes than it has. Just imagine your P2D but smaller. Yes I believe the P1D is slightly less bright but I'd be surprised if anyone can tell the difference.

The fact it fits in my fob (change) pocket means I can forget it's there till I need it.

carrot

Flashaholic
I think the P1-CE is even better than the P1D-CE, despite (or because of) the lack of multimode. Yet another light to consider. You may like the simplicity.

PayBack

Enlightened
I think the P1-CE is even better than the P1D-CE, despite (or because of) the lack of multimode. Yet another light to consider. You may like the simplicity.

I could do without SOS (hopefelly) and strobe but I like the 21 hour low, especially as it's bright enough to be very usable... though given the option I'd keep them all just in case (and the strobe is pretty cool :)).
Then again it doesn't really add any complexity as you never have to use those options if you don't wan't to (twist it on to primary and back for off) and not having them doesn't save weight or size.

PayBack

Enlightened
Really? I could see any difference but then that was eyeballing pics :D I'd still got the P1D CE but each to his own :)

carrot

Flashaholic
It's over half a centimeter shorter and maybe 1mm thinner, just eyeballing them in my hands. My camera died so you'll have to look to other people to provide you pics.

leprechaun414

Enlightened
Ok so I went and picked up a P2D RB100. I think it is the perfect size for an EDC. I also picked up a P3D RB100 but it is a little too big to carry. I would think the P1D CE would be a little to small for me but I might just have to pick one up to compare :D

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. :wave:

Great to get advice. I love this site :kiss: :twothumbs