Just thought I'd put my new dual cree setup out there.
Currently running 2x p3 crees off 8aa batteries. Using the fantastic taskled bflex driver/controller in a little box on the stem.
Basically I hammered flat one side of a copper pipe big enough for the LEDs to sit on and dissipate the heat into, cut holes opposite to let the light out. Mylar covering the front holes so should be watertight. Holes and LEDs mounted a little below the centerline of the pipe to reduce the amount of light in my eyes(not really a problem).
Ends stoppered with orange wheel reflectors cut to size and sealed in with silicone. I like the idea of orange sidelights and as one end hangs next to my speedo I can see how fast/far Im going without needing a helmet light.
For mounting I have fitted it onto a cateye mount, offset so it sits in front of my stem. The cateye mount lets me swivel it, good for fast downhills and I can direct it away from oncoming cars too.
I'm running 8 degree cree optics but the trick is I put a 6 degree bend in the pipe so I get a nice wide beam(effectively 14x8). Had to experiment to get the right angle so there is no dark spot, just a wide oval beam. Lights up the road nicely but I will probably put together a triple cree with an 8 and two 25 degree ovals for the MTB, find Im relying on the helmet light a lot in the twisties.
It does not get very hot when riding, there is a large frontal area of copper.
New optics and Q5 crees are on the way(once DX gets new ones in!) so I will gut this to upgrade. I damaged either one optic or led when I superglued the optic on(will use the cree recomended 3m scotchweld next time). Will also toss the orange reflectors...figured out if you mix a little orange food colouring in with some epoxy you can make a nice orange window.
Also would like a quick release as Im shifting from road to mtb every other night. The cateye mount is a bit fidly.
The only real problem I am having is battery bounce. The batteries are losing contact over any major bumps. I guess I need a pack with harder holding springs. I have a magic tie around them so they wont bounce out anymore.
Thing on folk is cateye el530, with upgraded led. Very good backup light.
Well, I found the bent design lighted up the whole road nicely, which isn't so good really. I don't really care whats in the other lane and the grass on the verge is pretty boring too.
I straightened things out.
I also wanted to get things off the bars for the handlebar bag mounting. Almost went for the folk braze ons but need to keep them clear for front rack.
One side on copper pipe bashed flat. Not very straight holes drilled opposite. Oops. Last bit of pipe so will be ok.
Copper bracket bent up so fits under cables and on top of mudguard and brazed on (getting the brazing done cost me a beer). Overcoated with clear to keep it looking shiny.
Two Q5 cree XR-E leds and cree optics stuck on to flat portion of pipe. Mylar over holes.
Epoxy and yellow food colouring seal the ends to create side lights (will go carbon fiber next light, quad cree for the MTB, very very soon).
Driven by taskled bflex (awesome driver) and 12AAs. Did 4 hours on not full batteries, expect about 5 now, have turned it down to 750mA max as not much difference betweeen 700 and 1000 visually but sucks through batteries. Bflex controller mounted in box on stem, one button control over 3 brightness levels, constant or strobe mode, and low battery led.
Black line in beamshot is mudguard, now cut shorter, as in photos. Just a tiny black stripe where the shadows of the tyre overlap. Should of mounted the leds a few mm apart!
Its a nice tight beam and great for the road.
Beam at 1A