LED Purchasing the latest bin POLL!

Do you have to have the latest LED?

• Yes! Not a bin goes by that I don't purchase!

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • I usually skip one or two bin improvements before purchasing.

Votes: 24 63.2%
  • I'm still using a pre-Cree/SSC/Rebel LED based flashlight.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • What's a bin?

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
With new LED bins coming out all the time who has to have the latest and greatest LED, and who can skip a bunch and wait for a more substantial improvement?

For example Fenix, not all that long ago, released the P2D-CE and P3D-CE with Cree P4's. Not long after that some Q2 versions were avaiable, and now Rebel 80lm, Rebel 100lm, and even some modded with a Q5. I picked up a P2D Q2 and now there is a P2D Rebel 100! I just got a P3D Rebel 100, and I'm not sure I need a P2D Rebel 100 and I'm going to try and wait for a P2D with a better Rebel or some R bin Cree. :)

CandlePowerForumsUser

Enlightened
I have a Q5 bin mounted on a star but I don't have a light that would take it without grinding the star down a bit. ;)

I'd love me a P3D Rebel 100 but I recently bought a P3D-CE P4 and its not used very much. I can't keep up with fenix. :(

I think I'm forced to wait for a higher output Rebel and I think I'm done with cree unless someone makes a reflector that can be more flood.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
after P4 Bin, I would get when it goes up to R3 or R4 ;)

Human Eye will face difficulty in differentiating 20% light difference even in a side by side comparison. to the eye 100 and 80 lumens would look almost same...

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
My old luxeon based lights were great when I bought them, and the fact that better LEDs have come out doesn't make the older ones any worse. They still do what they were intended to do - illuminate things, and they do it very well. Of course I've happily bought newer models (and will continue to do so :huh:) but I'll carry on using my older lights, too (Arc AAA-p, HDS EDCs etc). In other words, I'm not at all fussed about always having the latest bins :) Of course, if I'm buying a new light, it's nice to know whoever has made it has used the most up-to-date technology possible, without inflating the cost too much.

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
You are right Tempest!! Some of my Lux-based lights have higher quality beams than many of my newer lights. Output in lumens is not my first priority in a torch!!

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still using a pre-Cree/SSC/Rebel LED based flashlights indoors. There is no need for a brighter flashlight. If I need more light I turn on the main room light.

Outdoors I usually carry Cree-XRE/SSC-P4. I do not buy a new light if a new bin comes out or even after 2 or 3. Going from a P3 bin to a Q5 bin will increase light output by 25% but switching from a NiMH AAA to a 10440 Li-on in my L0D-CE doubles my light output. There are ways other than paying through the nose for the latest bin special edition torch to get more light.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes! Not a bin goes by that I don't purchase!

but just the LED, not nessisarily the light with it in it :) does that count the same?
and i would have skipped, if it wasnt for the hype, it always SOUNDS like some new miracle.