Headlamp recommendations for reading in bed

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
A friend of mine would like a headlamp for reading in bed without disturbing his spouse.

Logically it should have a diffuser or flood beam, and a sufficiently dim level. I have modded some headlamps, but not with this specific task in mind.

I thought about removing the reflector from an EOS, but thought it might still be too bright on low. Also I know there are some headlamps with built-in diffusers that may not need modding.

Does anyone have any recommendations to share?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I have an old CMG Tracer (1 AAA, 2 LED) headlamp that works very well, since it is pretty dim. This or a similar model may still be available under the Gerber name now. The new Rayovac 1 AA has a diffuser, but would still be too bright to not disturb the spouse. One of the Petzl lights might be good since they have low levels.

Some regular flashlights also can work well. I've managed reading in bed with a minimum of disturbance with an old CMG Infinity and also an Eternalight Derringer on low.

Geoff

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
FT, thanks for the input.

The Petzls with built-in diffusers seem to fit the bill.

My concern with them is that they might still be too bright on low.

Also I'd personally prefer a warmer tint, so I'm leaning towards Luxeons vs. 5mm LEDs. The EOS' I've pulled apart had V1 bins which I like. Unfortunately I've given all them away and don't have one to test out the reflectorless idea.

gunga

Flashaholic
EOS with a stippled Khatod reflector from Photon Fanatic. I read with it modded and a seoul emitter. If you think that might be too bright, leave it as a Lux emitter.

Or, just use no reflector at all!

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
gunga, thanks for the tip.

I do have one of those reflectors on hand. I might order another EOS from Lighthound and try it both reflectorless and with the stippled Khatod. If it's too bright I could put some film on the lens.

One must is that the light does not use PWM dimming which the EOS does not. Trying to read with even the slightest flicker drives me nuts. Funny thing is that I probably wouldn't have minded or even noticed before I became a flashaholic.

gunga

Flashaholic
Wow, costs more than I thought. Price is similar to Canada, which is unexpected. I've seen EOS's on sale at REI for $25 ish...

IN any case, I've modded a couple EOS's nad am very happy with the smooth floody beam with the 17mm stippled reflector. THere is a qrite up about it on CPF, check it out, do the rubber band trick to centre the reflector.

I like having the SSC emitter, but like I said, that may be too bright for you, so just try the reflector first.

If only the EOS came in 1 AA, I would buy several!

FoxFury

Newly Enlightened
I would guess something with red LEDs--it's friendlier on the eyes. Red light gives night vision adaptation. It's widely used in interior vehicle night lighting (especially in newer, more expensive cars) as well as by the Military for quickly being able to read maps, etc.

Does anyone know if prolonged use of reading with red light causes discomfort?

kc2ouf

Newly Enlightened
I've been using my Energizer twin LED headlamp for reading. Not too bright. The red LED isnt too useful as I can't read with it.

carrot

Flashaholic
The Petzls with multi-LEDs are pretty floody. I'd say a Tikka+ or Tikkina should fit the bill nicely.

luigi

Enlightened
I use a Petzl Tactikka Adapt, it comes with a difusser so it's quite good for reading.
Othe options:
A Petzl E-lite
Rayovac Sports Extreme AA headlamp that has a difusser ($20 at Wallmart)

Luigi

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to check out a Petzl, had many EOS go through my hands.

The EOS is by no means large, but I've seen some Petzl that are tiny.

Does anyone know a good place to get the Petzl line? The Tactikka Adapt sounds like a nice option with the diffuser. I'd prefer the smoothest beam possible and I'm guessing the diffuser would give a better one than even multi-LEDs.

barkingmad

Enlightened
Petzl e+lite is good and very small (uses lithium coin cells - CR2032 I think) - the Petzl Tikka XP has the slide across diffuser and runs on standard AAA's.

The Tikka XP is a lot bigger than the e+lite but by no means 'big' and smaller than the PT Eos.

The PT Eos benefits from being 'regulated' (constant brightness) but is larger - but certainly still not 'large'.

Both the PT Eos and Tikka XP can be easily modded or a low tech solution (for a diffused beam) could be just to put some 'Magic' tape over the front of the PT Eos.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the Rayovac 1aa 1watt lux? It has a flip over diffuser, and has 2 red and one blue LED. Mine runs for about 120 minutes on a single 1aa Sanyo Eneloop.

Cost is $18.83 at your local Wal-Mart.

See this thread for details/pics:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/169690

BD, that one looks promising. But some have commented that the white LED w/ diffuser is too bright for reading.

Do you happen to know if the 5 mm blue LED is easily replaced with a white? If so I could swap for a cut SMJLED for reading duties.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say any stock light is too bright for the person wanting to sleep aside

very low output mod is the way to go.

Gryffin

Enlightened
I own several of the lights mentioned so far, and I like to read in bed, so I thought I should chime in here...

The Petzl E+Lite is great for reading, using either the white on low or red LED on high. I added a layer of scotch tape over the LEDs on mine, which both even out the beams and lowers the level a tad; now it's just about perfect for reading. The button cells, though, don't give much runtime.

The Petzl Tikka XP works pretty well on the lowest setting with the diffuser, but it's a bit brighter than I'd like. I imagine the TacTikka and Tikka Adapt are the same. Too bad Petzl doesn't sell a grey diffuser lens!

I just bought that LED book light shown above, for my girlfriend actually. It's pretty nice, but the LED is visible from a pretty wide angle to the sides, which means your bed partner gets a lot of glare. This weekend I'm going to try to add a diffuser and some shielding to the sides.

The Ray-O-Vac 1xAA is a great light, but even with the diffuser, the main white LED is IMHO too bright for reading. The red or blue LEDs with the diffuser are a better level.

I don't really like reading with a red light for long periods. The color seems to dull the contrast between the type and the paper to the point where it causes eyestrain. Oddly enough, blue LED light (Ray-O-Vac 1xAA WallyWorld model) has the opposite effect: the type seems to "pop" very well, comparable to a lower level white light, and it doesn't seem to bother the lil' lady too badly. Of course, color pictures look pretty weird under any colored LED...

Gryffin

Enlightened
Do you happen to know if the 5 mm blue LED is easily replaced with a white? If so I could swap for a cut SMJLED for reading duties.

I think every single flashoholic who's seen that light has thought the exact same thing!

Can't find the link at the moment, but Quickbeam tried to disassemble his, and it appears to be welded or glued together. Definitely not mod-friendly.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks everyone for the great input.

I think the Rayovac seems like it's worth a try. Available locally and the price is right (at Walmart at least). I'll see it I can pry the bugger open, or somehow decrease the level of the white LED.

If that doesn't cut it I'll work my way up the foodchain to a Petzl Tikka XP (don't like the button cells of the E+lite).

Still think the EOS is a possibility, and had the thought of a "mule" EOS with a raised bare emitter for flood. I could screw a small tower onto the star and get the emitter right up to the lens. That might work pretty well actually. And since my buddy already has an EOS, he'd be comfortable right off the bat.

Actually he has two EOS'. One I bolted the backing onto a retractable dog leash housing so his wife has a multi-level adjustable dog walking light integrated into her leash.