Dereelight CL1H 2.0 with pics & beamshots

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to hold off my review until I got my luxmeter, but since x2x3x2 has taken his own readings already, I figure I could start mine with at least some pics and a review. I've had my Dereelight CL1H 2.0s for a few weeks now and used them around the house and outside.
See x2x3x2's review here with runtime plots and lux readings.

First, here's the features copied from Dereelight's thread:

Module: Cree Drop in LED Module with OP-reflector, Smooth reflector for optional, it's a industry standard P60 module.
Circuit: Full-regulated circuit, wide input range, Can feed with 1x18650, 2xCR123A or 2xRCR123 batteries
Output: Two stage output by turnning the battery tuber shift, once the level you have set, the output always on this level for next clicky untill you set again.
1. Output on Low : 110(3.7V)
2. Output on Hight: 900ma(3.7V)
Low operation temp. and good working efficiency
Circuit Protection: reverse polarity protection built in the circuit without any consumption to the battery power.
Reflector: Aluminium OP-reflector standard, Smooth reflector for optional
Runtime: Best performance using 18650, over 2.5 hours runtime to 50% on high, and over 10 hours on Low.
Dimensions: 140mm(Length)x 34mm(Head)x 25mm(housing)
Material: Constructed of aircraft grade aluminum
Surface: Type III hard anodized finish, highly durable
Waterproof: water resistant
Weight: 130-gram weight
Switch: forward clicky
Clip: Removable clip
Glass: Toughened ultra clear glass lens with AR coating
Color: Light grey

Machining, Construction, Quality
I can't find anything wrong! There are no machine marks on the exterior at all. The anodizing is flawless and even. All pieces match in color. The threads are cut deep and spaced well (not too fine a pitch like many smaller Chinese lights). The threads didn't come lubed (ok, one little thing), but a simple cleaning and lube fixed that. Even the threads in the LED module to attach the reflector are cut deep and well spaced. Knurling is consistent with no marks. The clip is well made with no sharp edges to cut or tear anything. It's a wire clip, which I prefer, that provides very good retention, but is still easy to place and remove. The switch module is well thought out and robust. The switch itself is retained in a threaded housing and nothing looks like it's easy to break. The design looks easy to replace or swap switches. Both OP and smooth reflectors are well machined. I couldn't see any flaws on any of the reflectors.

Comfort and Usage
Once lubed, twisting the head to change levels is easy. Only 1/8th – 1/4th of a turn switches from low to high and back. It's very simple. I love the momentary forward clicky, something sorely lacking in this category of lights (with only W-Es offering it from other Chinese brands). I use momentary most of the time. The combination of a separate level switch and a forward clicky is perfect for me and offers versatility without too much complication. For those who use mostly low or want to start at low, just keep the head twisted at low. A small twist to tighten and it's on high. For tactical uses and law enforcement, starting on high with the momentary is perfect. A small twist to loosen and it's on low for looking at documentation, IDs, etc.
The knurling is not overly rough but offers good grip. It could be a tad bit rougher, but I think it's at the perfect point of not tearing up clothes right now. Any rougher and it would add a bit of grip w/o adding discomfort, but would likely start to tear clothes. My hand fits perfectly between the rear of the head and the rear of the clip.
The CL1H comes with 3 switch covers: standard black, recessed black, and green GITD. The standard black cover is easy to click, but can't tailstand. The recessed black cover allows for very stable tailstand and still allows for easy momentary actuation, but is difficult to fully click. You really need to use your thumb tip to click the recessed cover. The GITD looks almost identical to the standard black, but a close look will show it sticks out slightly more. This makes it easier to click, which I prefer. It also glows very bright when exposed to light.
The switch is easy to click. It's smooth and feels like my SF switches thru most of its travel until it clicks. My SF switches feel a bit different, a bit more resistant to click, while the CL1H switch clicks a bit easier. Still feels good and provides good tactile and audible feedback when it clicks. Travel from momentary to full click is fairly far, similar to a SF Z48/49, so accidental activation should be quite rare.
The clip is sweet. I love wire clips. There are no sharp edges to cut/tear clothes. It holds very well, but isn't too tight to impede placement or removal. The clip's location keeps the tailcap exposed, but it is still fairly inconspicuous. The exposed tailcap allows for quick draw from your pocket as the tailcap's knurling is grippy and there's enough length to grab. I also love bezel down clips. For a light of this size, bezel up clips don't make sense. The purpose of bezel up is for use on the brim of a hat. Small, 1x123A lights are great for this as they're lightweight and small enough to fit on the brim of a hat. A larger light such as this is not only too large, but too heavy. Even a sturdy clip will still allow the light to slip a bit on a hat, and the weight will drag the hat down. The clip is the main reason I never got a Lumapower M1.
The CL1H feels good in my hand. W/o battery, it's very light. Most of the weight comes from the 18650. The battery goes in negative end first towards the head. There's a screw at the tailcap end to make contact with flat-topped protected 18650s. My hand fits perfectly with 3 fingers in front of the clip ring and index finger behind. Very comfortable with good weight.

Some pics:
img1674kj7.jpg

img1675ko7.jpg

img1676lq8.jpg

img1677gp8.jpg

Performance
Light output is great! With the Cree module, it is the brightest of my LED lights. Measured tailcap current is 900mA on high and 110mA on low, just as Dereelight claimed. The OP reflector smooths out the beam a lot. There is a slightly noticeable ring around the hotspot, but you can't see that at all in actual use. With the smooth reflector, the hot spot is more intense for more throw, but it's ringy. I personally prefer the OP reflector.
The SSC module is completely different from the Cree module. Whereas the Cree module is a drop-in with a reflector threaded to the LED module, the SSC module is separate LED module and reflector. The reflector threads into the bezel while the LED module threads into the head. The separated design of the SSC module allows for focusing. The beam with the SSC is very smooth with a nice transition from spot to spill. I really like the beam profile of the SSC module, but in ceiling bounce tests, the Cree module is brighter.
Below are beam shots of the Cree module with both the OP and Smooth reflectors and shots for the SSC module with a Ultrafire C3 thrown in. All my other LED lights are either Lux's or modified, so I figure it wouldn't do any good to compare to those. The C3 is stock (a friend's actually who hasn't picked it up yet).

Here's some beamshots:
Left = CL1H SSC, Right = CL1H Cree OP
img1686hi9.jpg

Left = CL1H SSC, Right = CL1H Cree OP (-2 underexposed)
img1687te6.jpg

Left = Ultrafire C3, Right = CL1H Cree OP
img1688aj3.jpg

Left = Ultrafire C3, Right = CL1H Cree OP (-2 underexposed)
img1689pl0.jpg

Left = CL1H Cree Smooth, Right = CL1H Cree OP
img1690by4.jpg

Left = CL1H Cree Smooth, Right = CL1H Cree OP (-2 underexposed)
img1691ze8.jpg

EDIT - Outdoor beamshots added!!! including 5-MODE module!!!

Really sorry for the fuzzy shots. My camera, even in manual mode, uses slow capture for some reason when there's no light. Tree is 30ft away.
First, a reference shot. Yes, there's some ambient light sadly (I'm in the city)
dlcl1hodrefno2.jpg

CL1H SSC P4 on Low
dlcl1hodsscloff9.jpg

CL1H SSC P4 on High
dlcl1hodsschicc1.jpg

CL1H XRE OP Reflector on Low
dlcl1hodxreoplovb8.jpg

CL1H XRE OP Reflector on High
dlcl1hodxreophidr5.jpg

CL1H XRE Smooth Reflector on Low
dlcl1hodxresmlohn2.jpg

CL1H XRE Smooth Reflector on High
dlcl1hodxresmhizr6.jpg

CL1H XRE 5-Mode on Low
dlcl1hod5modelodk4.jpg

CL1H XRE 5-Mode on Mid
dlcl1hod5modemiddy4.jpg

CL1H XRE 5-Mode on High
dlcl1hod5modehinb0.jpg

Summary
Damn I love this light! I will be taking some pics of outdoor shots also with the SSC, Cree OP, and Cree Smooth setups, but it's late now and I should be sleeping already to be awake at work tomorrow.
Overall, the light is perfect for virtually all my uses. It is a bit large to EDC, but for all other uses, I find it perfect. The simple level switching combined with momentary forward clicky is great. I love the bezel down carry also. I really feel the Dereelight CL1H 2.0 is an equivalent light to the Lumapower M1, Huntlight FT-01, and Wolf-Eyes lights at a considerably lower cost (2/3rd that of LP M1 and HL FT-01).

EDIT - Outdoor Beamshots - The 5-Mode High is brighter than the 2-Mode, but the pictures may not really depict that. I'll repeat - I really like this light. It's UI is simple, allows me to choose the level I want it to come on in to suit my situation, built tough and well made, and has a bezel down clip. The 5-Mode is easy to operate with the momentary forward clicky...just push until you're in the mode you want, and full click to lock in that mode. It has memory so the next time you turn it on, it comes on in that mode. Really nice. I honestly don't know why the CL1H hasn't gotten more attention or isn't more popular relative to other lights like the M1. I do love the way the M1 looks, but the CL1H has features such as the forward clicky and bezel down clip that overshadow the M1's looks, combined with a cost that's 2/3rds the price. Can't wait to take the CL1H with me on my trip, exploring and hiking some mountains.

Also, just to tease, here's some nice shots of the Dark Grey...hehe.:naughty:

img1678rj1.jpg

img1679pn3.jpg

Last edited:

kfallscody

Newly Enlightened
I've had my eye on this light for a while. Just waiting for the $$$ to order it. This review pretty much seals it for me.. thank you.. :)

FASTCAR

Banned
Fine fine review !!!:thumbsup:

Im glad you talked about the High/ low. I thought it needed like 10 turns to make it low mode.I also thought the head would fall off.1/8 of a turn is nothing..thanks for clearing that up!

Personally I dont care if a light "tail stands".I have had this feature on M*gs for 20 years and NEVER once used it.I much rather the button sticks out alot.I find this much easier to use.

Do more reviews !!!!:thumbsup:

Gryffin

Enlightened
Excellent review, thanks!!

Too bad you didn't get one of their new 5-mode Cree modules. I'm VERY interested in how that works.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
horizonseeker - you should have received a GITD cover also. Contact Dereelight about that. I ordered mine well over a month ago.

Gryffin - actually, I do have the 5-mode, but it's more of an eval version, which is why I didn't do a review. Others should be receving their production 5-modes soon. I'll try to take some beam shots tonight, but things are hectic so no guarantees.

I still plan on adding outdoor shots, and maybe a few more pictures of the light itself.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had to pull the trigger on these, as I have a stash of 18650's begging for homes. Still not sure whether I will like the 2-stage or 5-mode best, but no worries, I ordered one of each! I am also interested in the 5-mode impressions. It sounds like it actually goes from high to med to low then strobe and SOS, not low to high like the web page says. Either way, I think I will have a love/hate relationship with the memory function. Most of the time I will be on low, and to get a higher mode I will have to go through the flashing modes to get it. For everything else, it is great, set a brightness and use it, locked on or momentary, so long as you use it more than one second at a time. Anyhow, that is why I will have the simpler 2-stage to choose from if I get frustrated, and it seems to have a lower low, which is nice. Kinda seems like with three light levels the 5-stage should go lower :shrug:. Will post actual impressions once they are in my hot little hands.

Hondo

Robban

Enlightened
Nice review and it just makes me want it even more. I've been keeping an eye on this one since it was first introduced and will get one once the dark greys are available again (they're currently having some trouble with those). This is one of very few lights that implements my UI of choice, two levels and bezel twist to switch between them. Top it off with a proper clicky and it's perfect :)

fasuto

Enlightened
Can the 2-mode light be used with one of these five mode drop-ins?
You can also put a D-26 xenon lamp, isn't it?

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The drop-ins, both 2-mode and 5-mode, go into the same light. Here are the differences:

Battery Orientation:
2-mode - Negative toward head
5-mode - Positive toward head

Level Selection:
2-mode - Level selection is made via the head twist
5-mode - Level selection is made via half-presses of the clicky, then fully press the clicky when you're at the level you want. It's pretty simple. For the 5-mode, tighten the head all the way down as the head twist is no longer functional.

Had a family dinner tonight, so wasn't able to get more pics. Will soon (I hope). I really like this light and am surprised after all the ranting CPFers did of no lights with true forward clickies that this isn't more popular. I think it deserves equal or more attention than some lights that are currently very popular. Damn I miss having a forward clicky. Been playing with my SF's more now too for their forward clickies.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
The drop-ins, both 2-mode and 5-mode, go into the same light. Here are the differences:

Battery Orientation:
2-mode - Negative toward head
5-mode - Positive toward head

Level Selection:
2-mode - Level selection is made via the head twist
5-mode - Level selection is made via half-presses of the clicky, then fully press the clicky when you're at the level you want. It's pretty simple. For the 5-mode, tighten the head all the way down as the head twist is no longer functional.

Had a family dinner tonight, so wasn't able to get more pics. Will soon (I hope). I really like this light and am surprised after all the ranting CPFers did of no lights with true forward clickies that this isn't more popular. I think it deserves equal or more attention than some lights that are currently very popular. Damn I miss having a forward clicky. Been playing with my SF's more now too for their forward clickies.
Don't forget the other major difference between the 5 mode and the 2 mode modules.

The 2 mode module allows you to use 1x18650 3.7 volt cell, OR 2xCR123 3 volt cells OR 2xRCR 3.7 volt cells.

The 5 mode module will only operate with 1x3.7 volt cell (18650).

That is a huge difference to me, as I really wanted the 5 mode module, but feel it is important to be able to run the light with primaries in case of an emergency. However, I'm still considering the 2 level module.

Loomy

Enlightened
Looks great. I love how the company says that supporting LED module upgrades is a priority of theirs.

It's the new poor man's U2 -- and the rich man's U2, too, because it's so good!

fasuto

Enlightened

Thanks!
I think is very similar to the WE sniper, wich i have and like to much. I like the clickie too, found it more useful than the normal ones, but i like more the one with the vb-16, is more smoth.
It would be great if the 2 levels with twist will have strobe.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
It appears that the led module base contacts the body of the light. This would create good thermal pathway for heat dissapation. Is this true? I didn't see an outer spring on the module.

Gryffin

Enlightened

How do the output levels compare?

The 2-mode has been getting rave reviews for it's stunning high-level output. Is the 5-mode as bright?

Also, how do the low levels compare? I'm hoping the low on the 5-mode is very low, at least as low as the 2-mode.

Oh, almost forgot... the 2-mode seem to be extremely efficient on low, giving spectacular runtimes. I don't suppose you've done runtimes on the 5-mode?

(Demanding bugger, ain't I? :grin2: )

Last edited:

Loomy

Enlightened
How do the output levels compare?

The 2-mode has been getting rave reviews for it's stunning high-level output. Is the 5-mode as bright?

Also, how do the low levels compare? I'm hoping the low on the 5-mode is very low, at least as low as the 2-mode.

Oh, almost forgot... the 2-mode seem to be extremely efficient on low, giving spectacular runtimes. I don't suppose you've done runtimes on the 5-mode?

(Demanding bugger, ain't I? :grin2: )

Electronic power regulation isn't that inefficient, so assume the results are very similar.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just added outdoor beamshots. Hope you guys can compare the beams and outputs. Sorry for the fuzzy shots, but my camera's not the greatest and the photographer behind it is even worse!

Derek Dean - Thanks for pointing that out. I forgot to mention that!

Loomy - I agree. I really love this light and am really surprised at the quality and performance for the price, considerably lower than competitors.

fasuto - Yeah, more modes with the twist wouldn't be bad, but would be quite difficult to do with the current twist mechanism. The 5-mode is very easy to operate though, and having momentary combined with memory is great.

Phaserburn - Correct, there's no spring so the base of the LED assembly makes contact with the light.

Gryffin - The 5-Mode is brighter on high because it uses a Q2 vs. the P4 of the 2-Mode. But, it's not that noticeable (like most bin differences). Keep in mind, our eyes see brightness logarithmically, so everyone's been reporting minor differences between the P4s, Q2s, Q5s, and Rebel 0100s that have all come out recently). It is a bit brighter though.
The low levels on both are about equal. I really couldn't tell a difference via ceiling bounce in a small dark room. Sorry, no runtimes on low. Haven't had time...everything's been so busy lately. I plan on getting a lightmeter soon, but not for another couple of months as I have a trip coming and other things going on. As Loomy mentioned, digital regulation is very efficient and I would suspect low runtimes on the 5-Mode would equal or better the 2-Mode.

Gryffin

Enlightened
The 5-Mode is brighter on high because it uses a Q2 vs. the P4 of the 2-Mode. ... It is a bit brighter though.

Cool, thanks!!

I only ask because, a lot of the multi-mode modules I've seen lately have surprisingly low "high level" currents (~600-700mA, vs. the claimed 950mA on the Dereelight 2-Mode), so I wanted to be sure I wouldn't be giving up any high-level performance with the 5-mode. As much as I like the simple body twist of the 2-mode, that 5-mode is looking more and more like what I want!

The low levels on both are about equal.

Good news. Thanks!

Sorry, no runtimes on low. ... As Loomy mentioned, digital regulation is very efficient and I would suspect low runtimes on the 5-Mode would equal or better the 2-Mode.

Yeah, I assume as much too; but the runtime shown at lightreviews.info is so impressive, I really would like confirmation. I know it's digital regulation, but so are a number of lights these days, and some >koff<RexLight>koff< have been shown to be rather inefficient. Never hurts to ask, right?

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gryffin - A buck regulator is much easier to make efficient than a boost regulator that has a high differential between Vin and Vout. In the Dereelight, the Vin and Vout is very close, so the regulator should be operating near max efficiency, and bucks can get into 95%+ efficiency if they're well designed. Even crappy ones can exceed 90% in this type of scenario where Vin is cloes to Vout.