RayOvac Highbeam mod w/ SSC P4

roznerd

Newly Enlightened
Rayovac High Beam Mod w/ P4 and heatsink

My friend (Brlux) gave me one of those sweet Rayovac High Beam headlamps. I am getting into modding so I decided to P4 it. Here's what I did.

1. Tear apart
2. Removed "K2" LED w/ razor blaze
3. Drilled a hole through the heatsink plate right where the LED was
4. Filed out optic holder for P4
5. Turned a small stud to fit in hole on heatsink plate and be long enough to pass though the plactic back case. Everything was made with a nice interference fit
6. Drill larger hole in plastic back case
7. Use AA to gule the stud in the hole and the P4 on the stud
8. Wire it up
9. Bolt it all back together and let the AA set.
10. Use AA to glue a small aluminum plate onto the end of the stud protruding from the case. My photos where take before I did this step.

This takes up some space behind the light so you can't adjust the swivel head all with way back, but I found for mountain biking or night trail running I don't have it adjusted that far back anyway. I have used this on a night MTB ride with my dual P4's and it worked great. The stud and heatsink get hot to the touch, but they are not "too" hot.

I forgot to measure the currents for each setting, but I can tell you that the HI setting is less than 850mA because I compared it to my P$ bike light which runs at 85omA and the headlamp was dimmer looking.

This optic has quite a bit of throw with the P4. I can put a nice circular spot on a building from 100 to 200 ft away.

No major data for the battery life. I have about 1.5 hours of HI use on the original alk. AA's that came with it and they are still bright.

The beam shots show a trail view and a wall shot from about 8 feet. I don't have a comparison to the original K2 right now, but I might post one later when I can grab my buddy's unmodded one.

Filed out for P4

Hole in heat sink plate and housing. Plus the little stud I made

Assembly w/o headband stuff.

8ft wall shot

Trail shot from my 6'4" head. The beam is showing gravel thats about 50ft away. The camera didn't capture it perfectly. It's on the HI setting

nmanchin

Newly Enlightened
wow. nice! did you just get a regular diode with no star? did you have to drill through their heat sink? and what do you mean by using a AA to glue the stud in. are you talking about thermal glue or arctic silver or something...

i just found one on ebay. it's on its way.

roznerd

Newly Enlightened
The way I decided to do it, was to use Arctic Alumina (AA) epoxy to attch the P4 emitter ( no star) to a thermal pathway ( the stud) that would take the heat directly out of the case. You could just do a direct swap of the emitters, but their heatsink is small and it has this weird hexagonal dent which makes it hard to get good surface contact with the P4. I don't think my way is necessarily the easiest or "best" way, but it worked for me.