• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Exotic Wood Mini-Mags, additional offering

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have decided to offer these truly unique Mini-Mags for sale in another run. Making these is very time consuming due to the exact nature of fitting the wood pieces to the Mag body. These are not sleeves that fit over the parts, like the wooden pens that are out there. Each Mini-Mag has the body and head cut down creating a long groove. The wood is actually 2 halves that are temporarily held together and bored out to the diameter of the grooves in the body and the head. These pieces are then cut to the exact length of the grooves. Once the fitting is complete the wood is gorilla glued on the Mini-Mag aluminum head and body. These pieces are then turned down on the lathe. The body is just a straight cut across, slightly larger than the aluminum body. The head is first rounded, then shaped by hand to get that tapered look on the head. The pieces are then sanded 1200 wet or dry give a super smooth finish, then a coat of lacquer. A little more sanding – and a finish coat.

Each one of these is hand crafted and not like any other. I have the ability to do different Mag host, wood combinations. I have most of the standard Mag colors and most of the wood here. Certain woods will have an additional cost added. Turn around time is generally a week or so.

note - I can not do bronze colored hosts like the one pictured with KOA,, I can not source any more of the bronze lights.

Partial list of addition cost wood
Koa $2.00
Ebony $2.00
Cocobolo $1.50
Pink Ivory $2.00

Let me now what you would like.

Pricing –

Each one will be $52.50 for the standard Mini-Mag, shipping first class is included (US addresses), International orders will be priced on a case by case basis. I ship US items with Delivery Confirmation, Insurance can be added and is optional. I can send Priority Mail for an additional $3.00

International shipping, First Class has no tracking and no insurance. Priority Mail, International, carries some insurance.

I will not be responsible for lost items unless insurance is added in.

Paypal information provided through PM

I have these two available for sale - $52.50 first I'll take one, gets it. On the left is African Blackwood on black, the right is African Blackwood on gray.

blackwood.jpg

Some samples are shown here
Blackwood, mango, koa (not avaiable with bronze host), blackwood, padauk, bloodwood, cocobolo(not available with bronze host), zebrawood, purpleheart

all-2.jpg

Last edited:

Nedtheshred

Enlightened
Those are beautiful Will.
I enjoy the one I got from you last round.
Is that Kona brass (broz?) one for sell also? (third from left)
Ned

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are beautiful Will.
I enjoy the one I got from you last round.
Is that Kona brass (broz?) one for sell also? (third from left)
Ned

I am trying to get a few more bronze hosts, I don't have any right now.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
will,

That koa is absolutely stunning. I grew up in Hawai'i and always loved koa. It looks like gold veins inside of the wood. Hell, all of the wood lights are stunning, but the koa grabbed my attention...

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
will,

That koa is absolutely stunning. I grew up in Hawai'i and always loved koa. It looks like gold veins inside of the wood. Hell, all of the wood lights are stunning, but the koa grabbed my attention...

I connected with a woodworker in Hawai'i last year. In fact he is sending me another box of wood. Koa is one of my favorite lights. The koa is highly figured, it changes appearance as you move the light around, almost like you are looking into the wood.

Leadfoot2

Newly Enlightened
Will

Are you able to offer any nickel or any other exotic metal finishes at this time?

I would be interested a nickel plated, ebony wood version.

Leadfoot

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you able to offer any nickel or any other exotic metal finishes at this time?
Leadfoot

Not at this time - I hope to do a nickel plate run some time in Sept. I can set aside a few mini-mags at that time.

Leadfoot2

Newly Enlightened
Will

Please keep me in mind for when you make a run on plated MM's.

I will try to keep track of your threads

Thanks Leadfoot

sanseiryu

Newly Enlightened
Place me down for a koa wood with pewter or silver if not avail.
George

Last edited:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't get pewter (bronze ) any more. I have ordered a few silver lights.
I plan on making a few this week.

I do not have any nickel plated hosts available

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bet they would all look stunning on a black body. Is just the lighting or do the two blackwoods actually look different? (the forth from the left looks much lighter (more brownish) than the one on the far left)

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is a better picture of the blackwoods. The wood is darker on one side, it depends on which side you are looking at.

blackwood.jpg

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made a contact with a woodworker in Hawaii, half way around the world from New York. He makes outrigger paddles for display, really an art form, not to be used in the water. He uses a lot of wood native to Hawaii. My little flashlights use a fairly small piece of wood. He sent me a box of cutoffs, too small for him to use. This stuff is absolutely beautiful, it is all very highly figured, very much like the one in my picture. I have made a number of lights with the KOA wood. Figured wood is interesting to work with, sometimes the figure does not go all the way through. I made a number with Koa and finished them only to realize that the figure was not what it should be. Back to the lathe and start over again.

Last edited:

KLC

Newly Enlightened
Could a person send their own host? I ask because I am interested in the Koa with a Copper body. Let me know.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could a person send their own host? I ask because I am interested in the Koa with a Copper body. Let me know.

Sure - I am in the process of making one right now with a copper host. I'll post a picture in a few days when I complete it. I think it will look really nice.

sanseiryu

Newly Enlightened
Hi will,
Just got my Koa on gray. This is just beautiful. The Koa wood is amazing. It has depth, a 3d quality as you move it around, which brings out the grain of the wood. Kind of like those 3d cards with pictures that shift when you move it back and forth. Thank you for another fine addition to my collection.
George

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use wood sealer on the wood, that enhances the 3D quality - It is like you are looking into the wood. Hard to describe in words.

this is the Koa on gray
gray.jpg

Cocobolo on copper, Koa on copper
copper.jpg

Koa on silver, silk wood on silver.
joel.jpg

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I'm assuming you are making a thin sleeve of wood that is fitting over the lathed down aluminum tubing, and held in place with end caps (or one end)...or maybe you just using hollowed out wood for the body. How thick is the layer of wood? Is there any concern that it may react to heat (I'm thinking of the various wood panels in cars that eventually seem to warp and/or crack and develop surface distortion from the car's sun and heat. Those do look nice though.