Phoenix Electroforms

Thread: Battery for P2D?

Wink2 Battery for P2D?

Okay, I've trawled the forums, but I'm still confused...just bought a P2D and would like to purchase a rechargable battery and charger. What's my best bet for this light? Any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Laura

Default Re: Battery for P2D?

Good choice for a light.

A very good choice for batteries would be Sanyo Eneloop, Ray-O-Vac Hybrid, or Sony Cycle Energy NiMH cells. Everybody has a favorite charger, so you'll get a lot of different recommendations. I have several chargers, and my favorite simple one is the Duracell CEF80NC. Among its several advantages is that it charges cells more fully than a lot of others, yet it charges them pretty quickly.

[Edit] - Sorry, I'm always confusing the L2D with the P2D. As coppertail pointed out, the P2D is a CR-123A light. So this doesn't apply to the OP's question. I'll leave it here, though, in case anybody stumbles by who wants a recommendation for a light taking AA or AAA cells. My apology.

c_c
    Last edited by Curious_character; 08-10-2007 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Add note

The P2D takes a single CR123a cell, so you won't be able to use NiMH.

The Powerizer non-protected rechargable RCR123A cells fit, but the Ultrafire Protected RCR123As do not. Fenix makes their tubes pretty tight, so you may run into problems with any type of protected RCR123A cell.

Smile Re: Battery for P2D?

Quote Originally Posted by Curious_character View Post
    Good choice for a light.

A very good choice for batteries would be Sanyo Eneloop, Ray-O-Vac Hybrid, or Sony Cycle Energy NiMH cells. Everybody has a favorite charger, so you'll get a lot of different recommendations. I have several chargers, and my favorite simple one is the Duracell CEF80NC. Among its several advantages is that it charges cells more fully than a lot of others, yet it charges them pretty quickly.

c_c
    It was my understanding that Eneloop does not charge 123s. I'll look at the others you mentioned. Thanks for the info!

-- LauraQ

My point was AA cells won't work with the P2D, you'll need RCR123A cells and a RCR123A charger.

Talking Re: Battery for P2D?

Quote Originally Posted by coppertrail View Post
    My point was AA cells won't work with the P2D, you'll need RCR123A cells and a RCR123A charger.
    Gotcha! Thanks.

The Powerizer non-protected rechargable RCR123A cells fit, but the Ultrafire Protected RCR123As do not. Fenix makes their tubes pretty tight, so you may run into problems with any type of protected RCR123A cell.
    I've had good luck using AW protected RCR123A's in my Fenix P1 and P1D CE. I get my AW cells from Lighthound.com.
    -=[ Fenix P1D CE w/Leef body | Fenix L2P w/L1P body | Fenix P1 | Fenix L0P | Mini Mag w/Super MJ LED upgrade | 40k moded Photon II ]=-

The P2D takes a single CR123a cell, so you won't be able to use NiMH. . .
    My apology for the NiMH recommendations. I'm always confusing the L2D with P2D.

c_c

I would also suggest the rechargeable RCR 123 A's. Many places have them like Lighthound.com, Batteryjunction.com, Batterystation.com, Fenix-store.com, Etc. Have fun with your P2D
    "Time to hit the RESET button"

Keep in mind that when you go over 3.0V, you only get turbo and strobe modes.

No low/medium.

If you use a LiFEPO4 (AW has them) or perhaps a 3.0V rechargable, you get a medium-medium-high (no low) for most of the battery life.

The P2D does not work too well with rechargables if you want all modes and long runtime.

I sold mine because of that.

But it's an awesome light on primaries!

Good value for performance.

Another problem I have found with the P2D(Q2) is my rechargeable sometimes trips out on the protective circuit. I have a 650mAh 3v rechargeable and it usually only trips when flicking between strobe & turbo so it may well not be a problem for you. It is strange because the same cell never tripped on my P1D-CE.

Andrew