Space Needle Construction Pics

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Just did a small run of Space Needles for some LAPD LEOs. If the term Space Needle has you thinking wistfully of cold, drizzly, overcast days in Washington State, that's the wrong kind of Needle and you'll have to go here for a refresher - http://darkgear.com/mrbulk/5wspaceneedle.htm

Took a few digital pics along the way to highlight how they go together, plus give away all my secrets to the flashoholic world (heh heh).

Like lambs to their slaughter, here they are fresh out of their clampacks, waiting helplessly for decapitation:

fc9545f8.jpg

Now decapitated, as well as torn limb from limb:

fc9545f4.jpg

With help from their little black aides, the Six Samurai lay their swords down...

fc9545eb.jpg

...in order to court their soon-to-be mates, the graceful white-faced geishas from the House Of The Floating Lilypad (courtesy of the great Lambda himself):

fc9545e3.jpg

Dispensing with the need for pesky PR bases, as well as lightening the flashlight considerably by removing and discarding the weighty brass focusing pistons that come in all larger Mags, the positive and negative wiring is soldered directly to the Mag's internal leads:

fc9545e7.jpg

The heavily overwrought original Mag endcap springs make successful reinstallation of the tailcap an almost impossible task at times, and the diameter of the final coil is too large to line up with the center of the typical CR123 negative pole anyway, so they are pulled out and replaced with hand-wound light-duty springs:

fc9545da.jpg

And the marriage of the converted parts commences, using rubber band preachers and Arctic Epoxy wedding rings:

fc9545dc.jpg

The last step is to Arctic some decent 5W Luxeons onto the exact centers of the heatsink posts and solder up the wires to their respective leads.

And then -- it's eye-squintin' time...

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
As alaways Charlie, Outstanding job!!

I'm with ya on soldering the leads directly to the switch, especially when they're buried beneath a heatsink that's never meant to come out.

Thanks for sharing the tips

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Yeah Slick, there go my secrets, Samurai references and all...it's a Zen thing, I guess.

leddite

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Yeah Slick, there go my secrets, Samurai references and all...it's a Zen thing, I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

sweet space needle light
how you shine for us woo woo
my eyes ow they burn

evil maglite switch
how you thwart me you mock
yet i will yoink you

oh weighty pistons
won't you play go with me
alas atari

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, very nice. Maybe I won't do the Carley 808 thing with my 2C after all... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But, what do the "graceful white-faced geishas from the House Of The Floating Lilypad" do?

Jon

leddite

Enlightened
btw, is there an faq on how to take apart, preferbably
non destructively, and reassume a maglight 2/3 C/D
unit?

in my 2C unit, i noticed a ring inside the head, that i
can easily loosen, but that doesn't seem to do anything
else. damnit :>

oh tasty light oh
sunrise soon beckons to me
harsh a luxeon

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Stone, they are heatsinks.

led, there is a thread on instructions (direct from Maglite, apparently) on how to disassemble the different lights, but I'm afraid you'll have to do your own search.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow... Have you considered a small run of these SpaceNeedles for CPF'ers? (forgive me if I'm late to the Samurai SpaceNeedle party...)

Jon

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
leddite said:

in my 2C unit, i noticed a ring inside the head, that i
can easily loosen, but that doesn't seem to do anything
else. damnit :>

[/ QUOTE ]

Removing that ring permits the switch assembly to be removed from the FRONT of the flashlight (as opposed to the rear for Mag D's)

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
NICE Haiku's

You will have to check this out:

http://www.spamhaiku.com/

Here's a couple:

Late night, 4AM
Laughing, smiling, puking too...
Spam good and evil.

I read the spamku
then hunger came upon me;
an oxymoron.

The hubby and me
Two souls sharing the spam fun
we are pink soulmates.

Spam is my good friend..
It never interrupts me
Good porky worky.
SPAM Goddess™ , [email protected]

Stuff Posing As Meat:
I will forever love you
for you sustain me

SPAM and Mister T
will forever be haunting
me in my nightmares

O! How I long for
unrefrigerated lumps
of your salt glory.

L'il piggies run round
without shoulders, butts, and feet
parts all in your spam.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
In fact the very few Highs I had were all used in personal mods (plus yours that went out today).