Any advantages of 3.7 - 9.0V lights?

bspofford

Enlightened
Some models of "digital" lights (presumably regulated) offer both an 18650 model and a 3.7-9.0V model. The latter would accommodate 2X16340 cells but usually cost a couple of bucks more. If I am only going to use 18650 cells, is there any reason to buy the slightly more expensive 3.7-9.0V model? Is it possible that the digital 18650 model offers better regulation if I am only using 18650 cells?

lexina

Enlightened
Don't forget that a light that can only run on a single LiIon may also be direct driven and not regulated at all.

If ,on the other hand, it Is regulated, the design and construction of the boards will determine which is more efficient and effective. All things being equal, it's probably correct to say that the board with a narrower input range would be more efficient - but don't just take my word for it!

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two lights Eastward YJ and 3W Cree Projection from DX both can takes either 2xRCR123 or 1x18650. Based on my experience using 2xRCR123 is much brighter but with sort runtime. Not sure that using single 18650 only driver will produce more efficient or brighter light comparad to multi voltage driver. But what is clear to me is that light that takes both setup, using 2xRCR123 is much brighter(noticable). I just order light from DX that takes 4xRCR123 or 2x18650 just out of curiousity. i'll let you know when it arrived.

FYI.
Eastward YJ using 1x18650 draws 3.52watts and 2xRCR123 draws 4.5watts
3W Cree Projection using 1x18650 draws 2.25watt and using 2xRCR123 draws 4.7watts

It is a battery draws.

Thanks.

bspofford

Enlightened
Although my question is meant to be general, I am looking at the UltraFire WF-400 2-mode Q2 lights at DX. Both have "Digital LED" printed on the body, and I suspect that means digitally regulated. Perhaps I'm assuming too mluch. One is an 18650 light while the other is 3.7-9.0V 1X18650/2X16340 light. Even when "regulated," the 2X16340 configuration is usually a little brighter. In this case the 18650 model is a dollar or two cheaper. Although I almost always use 18650 cells, are there other considerations? Is the 3.7-9.0V light better regulated, is the 18650 light better regulated, or is this an issue that varies from light to light?

johnny13oi

Enlightened
I have two lights Eastward YJ and 3W Cree Projection from DX both can takes either 2xRCR123 or 1x18650. Based on my experience using 2xRCR123 is much brighter but with sort runtime. Not sure that using single 18650 only driver will produce more efficient or brighter light comparad to multi voltage driver. But what is clear to me is that light that takes both setup, using 2xRCR123 is much brighter(noticable). I just order light from DX that takes 4xRCR123 or 2x18650 just out of curiousity. i'll let you know when it arrived.

FYI.
Eastward YJ using 1x18650 draws 3.52watts and 2xRCR123 draws 4.5watts
3W Cree Projection using 1x18650 draws 2.25watt and using 2xRCR123 draws 4.7watts

It is a battery draws.

Thanks.

Hows that Cree Projection compare to other lights? I've been looking at it and was wondering how it compares. I just ordered a Ultrafire C2 and was wondering how the super projection compares to it.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two lights Eastward YJ and 3W Cree Projection from DX both can takes either 2xRCR123 or 1x18650. Based on my experience using 2xRCR123 is much brighter but with sort runtime. Not sure that using single 18650 only driver will produce more efficient or brighter light comparad to multi voltage driver. But what is clear to me is that light that takes both setup, using 2xRCR123 is much brighter(noticable)
So why aren't there 2x18650 lights that aren't a mile long?

Two 18650s are small enough that having one alongside the other wouldn't be much of a problem, and the resulting light would be much shorter than ordinary 2x18650 ones.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although my question is meant to be general, I am looking at the UltraFire WF-400 2-mode Q2 lights at DX. Both have "Digital LED" printed on the body, and I suspect that means digitally regulated. Perhaps I'm assuming too mluch. One is an 18650 light while the other is 3.7-9.0V 1X18650/2X16340 light. Even when "regulated," the 2X16340 configuration is usually a little brighter. In this case the 18650 model is a dollar or two cheaper. Although I almost always use 18650 cells, are there other considerations? Is the 3.7-9.0V light better regulated, is the 18650 light better regulated, or is this an issue that varies from light to light?

Sounds like both models are using the low cost and ineffiecient converter that hampered the wildly popular Q3 from 3 years ago. It's low cost chips prevented it from being a contender when compared to the products from the Shoppe.

lexina

Enlightened
From my experience, for lights that accept 1 or 2 cells (whether primaries, LiIons or NiMh), using 2 cells instead of 1 will usually produce a brighter light although sometimes the difference can be marginal.

However, between a model that uses 1 cell and a version of the same model that accepts 1 or 2 cells, it doesn't always follow that the 2-cell version will be brighter (even if 2 cells are used). This would depend on the settings of the respective regulator boards - the current draw etc.

My preference is always to go for the 3.6-9v version whenever possible so that I will have the flexibility to run the led on 1 or 2 cells (2xR123, 2X17500 or 2X18650) and also so that I won't accidentally blow the led by over-driving it with 2 cells.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
The advantages are Less cells needed, also many chargers only charge one or two cells at a time, and simplicity

knot

Banned
I have a XR-E WF-602D (using 1 x rcr123-unprotected) which is brighter than my Ultrafire Cree, Regulator, Reflector 1x18650 2xCR123A Lamp Assembly (using 2 x AWrcr123) why is that? Is it because the small light is direct drive and the other is limiting the current as well as voltage?

Last edited:

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hows that Cree Projection compare to other lights? I've been looking at it and was wondering how it compares. I just ordered a Ultrafire C2 and was wondering how the super projection compares to it.

I dont know how it compares to C2, but compared to Edward YJ the Projection simply better you can easily see the "light saber" when you hold the flashlight. My Ultrafire C2 have not arrived yet, i'll let you know how it compares to 3W cree projection.

I can easily recomment 3w cree projection if you are looking for cheap price with good throw. Then run it with 2xRCR123 and it just really bright i am quite confident it is brighter than Ultrafire C2.

knot

Banned
Some models of "digital" lights (presumably regulated) offer both an 18650 model and a 3.7-9.0V model. The latter would accommodate 2X16340 cells but usually cost a couple of bucks more. If I am only going to use 18650 cells, is there any reason to buy the slightly more expensive 3.7-9.0V model? Is it possible that the digital 18650 model offers better regulation if I am only using 18650 cells?

Since no one answered my question, I'm going to assume I'm correct. I think the one cell unregulated will be brighter than the two cell regulated as I have seen with my own eyes - and it makes sense if the current isn't regulated it's getting all the power from the battery. The only advantage with the two cell regulated is runtime.

better regulation
When you say "better" do you mean higher mA? To me, higher is better because it's brighter.

Last edited:

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since no one answered my question, I'm going to assume I'm correct. I think the one cell unregulated will be brighter than the two cell regulated as I have seen with my own eyes - and it makes sense if the current isn't regulated it's getting all the power from the battery. The only advantage with the two cell regulated is runtime.

When you say "better" do you mean higher mA? To me, higher is better because it's brighter.

If you take Tiable A8 for example which has an excellent regulation with 18650 i can assume that your idea might be correct. But remember those chinesse light does not have good quality driver, so its like comparing orange to apple.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast

@johnny13oi,
Okay beamshots between Cree P4 Projection and Eastward YJ. I'll compare it to Ultrafire C2 when mine has arrived.

The tree is about 30m high. distance to the tree is roughly 25m. shot at 6m from ground.
DSCN5471copy.jpg

DSCN5465.jpg

Using regular pocket digital camera.

johnny13oi

Enlightened
Thanks for the beamshots. It might just be my next flashlight. =) Depending on how it compares with the C2.

bspofford

Enlightened
From my experience, for lights that accept 1 or 2 cells (whether primaries, LiIons or NiMh), using 2 cells instead of 1 will usually produce a brighter light although sometimes the difference can be marginal.

However, between a model that uses 1 cell and a version of the same model that accepts 1 or 2 cells, it doesn't always follow that the 2-cell version will be brighter (even if 2 cells are used). This would depend on the settings of the respective regulator boards - the current draw etc.

My preference is always to go for the 3.6-9v version whenever possible so that I will have the flexibility to run the led on 1 or 2 cells (2xR123, 2X17500 or 2X18650) and also so that I won't accidentally blow the led by over-driving it with 2 cells.

I've had some feedback from engineers at a couple of premium flashlight manufacturers, and it seems that even when "regulated," 2X16340 usually results in a little higher output but shorter runtime. I don't know if this necessarily means that a digital (?regulated) 18650 only light will be less bright compared to the other model with 2X16340 or if the runtime will be longer. I went ahead and ordered both UltraFire WF-400 models, the 3.7-9V and 18650, and maybe I'll try to find the time to actually test output and runtimes with various battery options.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The single cell may just means a boost circuitry whereas the 3-9v may also mean a buck/boost circuitry. I would imagine both is the same and using the same led and driving the same amount of current to the led so only difference here is the quality/efficiency of the two different types of circuitry used.

Obviously the 3-9v is more flexible and can be used with single and a pair of batteries.....On the safety aspects, a single cell would be safer than a pair in series especially with Lit-Ions on condition that the current draw is within the manufacturers specifications.