Best Priced 3W flashlight

npk1977

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm looking for a nice flashlight that will run off a 3W generator. The generator produces plenty of volts, 20+, but I can step down easily to whatever voltage I want.

My question: I'm looking for a cheap flashlight, that has some kind of 3W LED in it (or bulb, i'm not dogmatic about this, but my understanding is you get more light/watt with LEDs, i could be wrong.) If it has a wide input voltage range, even better, but most important is getting the best price.

thank you
n

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use about any light for this. I'd recommend a light with a high output LED at 3 watts, such as a CREE XR-E LED.

A 20 volt generator would require active DC to DC conversion because the current is not high enough.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Check Dealextreme's flashlight section. Maybe this, or this light will work (I'd recommend staying under 8.5v with these two lights).

A 3W rating on a LED just means the maximum recommended power. You could run with any amount of power with the right heatsinking.

This LED can take up to 20v but seems to be very in-efficient(40 Lumen/Watt compared to 80 lumen/watt of a Cree).

Welcome to CPF!

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
A 3W rating on a LED just means the maximum recommended power. You could run with any amount of power with the right heatsinking.

Actually, at many websites and eBay, "3W" means "an impressive number the flashlight manufacturer had on the packaging" :( At the same places, "200 LUMENS!!!" means "the LED manufacturer had one that good once" not "200 lumens as measured at the lens".

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a clone of the Nuwai ALX-332L. I modded my Nuwai with a Seoul LED, and it is one of my favorite lights. It has killer throw, and a huge amount of flood for a light that is smaller than a 2xAA mini Mag. I would imagine that the K2 in this light is no slouch, either.

Latest posts