i'm new any suggestions

rubberband

Newly Enlightened
hi i am relitivily new to flashlights no lasers but flashlights i love going fishing and camping and need a pretty bright flashlight to light up the cabin of my boat and my tent and for generaly use and so forth. i want somthing extreemly bright thoughprobably under $200 can any one here recomend me to my first flashlight.

jbosman1013

Enlightened
HID= high intensity discharge

if you want a surefire a 6P,9P,A2,L2/L4 are some of the more liked surefire's

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Considering your needs, you might also want to look into an LED lantern.

I have a small one from E-Gear (Essential Gear) that works well.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
HID, Incandescent or LED?
Flood or throw?
How many lumens?(a cheap 2D light produces about 15 lumens with fresh batteries)
With or without modes?
What kind of abuse will it see?
DIY or buy stock?
Size/Weight?
What kind of batteries?

And

Welcome to CPF!

Last edited:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rubberband,

Welcome to CPF, there are a lot of flashlights out there, and you can gaurentee that someone here knows something about each one!:grin2:

Gunner12 makes a very good point - let us know exactly what you want from your light and we'll make sure you end up with the best one for your needs.

Hodsta

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Gunner12 makes a very good point - let us know exactly what you want from your light and we'll make sure you end up with the best one for your needs.

Hodsta

The Topic-starter already mentioned his general needs for the light.

The more I think about it, the more it sounds like an LED light might be best.... Something along the lines of a C cell MagLED. Possibly a 2AA or 3AA Mini-MagLED.

Commonly available at Home Depot, not too expensive, and doesn't require 123A cells like a Surefire 9P.

rubberband

Newly Enlightened
i want somthing pretty accesable not one of those c cell maglights that are like a foot and a half long. somthing smaller and more hand held of as mentioned for camping and fishing

and how bright is 105 lumen 9p compared to a 2 AA cell maglight

oh yea it is going to be put through some damage just an over all good utility light and such

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd say a Fenix Cree or Rebel(the Rb100 versions are the brighter ones, the RB 80 versions are essentially the same as the Cree versions except with a better beam-pattern) version is a good place to start. I'd suggest the L2D-CE(RB100 version) since it uses common AA batteries. It's not very big (compared to a C/D Maglite) and has a few light levels all without PWM. Turbo of the P3D rebel 100 version will produce about 150 Lumen(Fenix Rates LED lumens which is lower then out-the-front lumens). There is a coupon for 8% off at Fenix store, CPF8.

Or go for the Novatec EDC lights. Tougher, the 120P and 85P versions are programmable(the 120 means 120 lumens, and 85 means 85 lumens) but much more expensive.

The Fenix lights should be tough enough, unless you abuse your lights,.

The main disadvantage of LEDs is that they aren't as good as incandescents at color and depth perception.

Last edited:

leprechaun414

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF :wave:

You said you were looking for something you could bring camping and fishing to light up the tent and cabin. I would suggest something with good battery life and durable. I know how it is and you drop your light when your camping and on a boat you might bang it a couple times. There are alot of lights for $200 that could be suggested. Thats why everyone will ask all the questions about size,weight,every day use,etc.

I would suggest a SureFire G2L. Its new it just came out and is as bright as the non LED G2. No bulb replacement and 12 Hours of light on one set of batteries. It takes the small lithium ones that you have most likely seen for cameras. In the future you could look at rechargeables that would save you alot of money. Surefire prides their lites on being able to beat them up. Priced at $65 its a cool one to check out.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/g2-led-.html

Another idea for being new to lights would be a rechargeable system. The MagCharger is a great very bright lite at about $100. It might be a little big for what you are looking for.
http://www.brightguy.com/products/MagLite_Rechargeable_Flashlight.php

Another rechargeable is the Pelican 7060. It just came out and is very bright. You would be amazed at how bright it is. A little smaller than the Magcharger. Priced around $125. http://www.batterystation.com/7060LAPD.htm

Both lights though run for 1.5 hours.
Unless you have a spare battery charged you might want to take the runtime into consideration.

I am sure there will be many great suggestions from other members:grin2:

wakibaki

Newly Enlightened
TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS?!!

I paid UKP 40 (about $70) for a Fenix P1D-CE when they first appeared. I can tell you I've parted with teeth more readily.

and how bright is 105 lumen 9p compared to a 2 AA cell maglight

If you haven't seen one before and you get an LED light with 105 lumens, the first time you turn it on you will laugh. And the next time. And a few times after that.

For $200 I would probably buy about 20 flashlights, starting with 10 keychain lights from dealextreme, and a bunch of rechargeable CR123s.

I'd probably still buy the P1D-CE. This is a classic at the price point and epitomises everything exciting in flashlight development today. It's tiny, it has a huge light output and more duration than any regular light that existed just a few years ago. If you really want a buzz get one of these or something like it.

There have been occasional quality issues with Fenix lights, but this is also true of more expensive lights. If you buy from a reputable source these issues will be fixed ok. In my experience cheap lights from dealextreme have worked well, and even they will respond to complaints although obviously with a time lag.

The really expensive lights are a bit like Leica cameras, very nice, but only for afficionados or professionals. There's a bit less engineering in a torch, I grant you.

w

jbosman1013

Enlightened
the surefire L2 seems about perfect for you, it has a two stage low/high and is great for camping, fishing, ect. it is the one i use the most when i am in the woods.