SYSMAX Ind./Clike to find more about Nitecore flashlights!

Thread: White powder on battery terminals?

Flashaholic*

Default White powder on battery terminals?

Only the second time I notice this. With alkalines, I notice a white powder, almost fibrous filaments form on the terminal(s). I notice it once in an alarm clock, the power formed on both the terminals of the AA alkaline battery and the contacts of the alarm clock. The once more, I noticed this in a partially used AAA alkaline battery lying on a table for over a month. Simply wiping with a dry paper towel removes the powder. The battery is not leaking, as far as I know. What could this powder be?
    Last edited by ltiu; 08-12-2007 at 06:05 PM.
    EZCR2;D10;6PL;FENIX T1,P3D,P2D,L2D,L1D,L0D,LD10;PTApex;ZebraL H30;RR K2 3AA hlight;RR Nightfire 2C;Xponent 1xCR2 hlight;MyoXP;Xponent 4AA hlight;6AA & 9AA M*g Hotwire;2D MagLED Lux;4D MagLED NiteIze;3D MagLED Rebel

Default Re: White powder on battery terminals?

I would have said it sounds like you've had a leak at some stage, not necessarily with the battery you're using now, but if you're seeing it with more than one cell... Got any bad pollution sources nearby?
    No, a torch does not always mean flames.
    Ian.
    LED Driver List - now database driven and with new search features.

*Flashaholic*

i would like to know this for sure also, some kind of electrolisis,or electrically altered oxidation?
    Eclectic fungi :-) i have seen it now on 3 battery types, Ni-cds , alkaline and ni-mhy, on the ni-cds it looks more granular.
    and of course everyone has seen the stuff on car batteries.
    there are reports of it on lithium cells too.
    Last edited by VidPro; 08-13-2007 at 02:50 AM.

I get this too, with my very old rechargeables. I don't know if it has anything do with dendrites but I am pretty sure it's some sort of crystallization and it looks very much alike to my car battery terminals attacked by acid corrosion.
    Arc4+ mods/repair. LED drop in for SF E-Series. Onion Rings for SF A2.

Yeah, I have seen this on old NiCads, car lead acid, and alkalines most commonly. Looks like a white crystalline fluffy deposit.

Apparently the answer is to wash the batteries in Coke.

http://www.2carpros.com/topics/battery.htm

Question: ... I have two questions: 1) For the last two years I have found increasing deposits of white powder around my battery terminal. What could be causing this? ...

Answer: Remove the battery cables and clean the battery. Get yourself a carbonated soft drink, no do not drink it, and pour it on the battery to neutralize the white powdery substance. Rinse the battery with water, clean the battery terminals, and reconnect.
    No, a torch does not always mean flames.
    Ian.
    LED Driver List - now database driven and with new search features.