Enlightened
Talking about AA lights
Ultrafire C5 is brighter than C3
So C8 must be brighter than C5?

**Hotlink removed**

Last edited by a moderator:

jml90

Newly Enlightened
Well the C8 is a 2xAA and the C5 a 1xAA if I'm not mistaken so the C8 should be brighter.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure that this is Ultrafire flashlight? I can't see any Ultrafire logo on it. Moreover shape of that beamshot is pretty ugly.:thumbsdow

Zhukov

Newly Enlightened
What is the FRIGGIN' fascination with those stupid strobe modes? Not only one, but they saw fit to give it TWO of them. GRRRRRRR....

Zhukov

Newly Enlightened
Well, I'm still very interested in the light. I was interested in either the Ultrafire C3 or C5 initially. I liked the C3 better because of the lanyard and the clicky switch, but the C5 was brighter. This clone light looks even more attractive since it has two modes. The beam pattern doesn't bother me too much; anything other than a wall shot, and you probably wouldn't notice very much. It'd just be nice to have ANY kind of data (even manufacturer supplied) about brightness and runtimes.

Zhukov

Newly Enlightened
I just received one of these, and it's a nice light. I'm disappointed by the light output, however. It certainly looks like a Cree, but it's only equivalent to the L2D-CE on MEDIUM. At that level, it draws 1.2A from two AA's.

How is it possible for a Cree LED to draw that much current and put out so little light?

Zhukov

Newly Enlightened
Well, it looks like I'm a goober. The batteries I used appear not to have been fully charged. With some fresh NiMH's, the thing does put out a good deal of light as you would expect from a 3W Cree. It appears that the lower battery voltage caused it to drop down to a 1W light, as you can run this with 1AA in a lower output mode.

No idea on runtime yet - that's the one thing that concerns me. With the lower voltage of NiMH's compared to alkaline, it's conceivable that the runtime in 3W mode is very poor; I don't know though...

Zhukov

Newly Enlightened
It's the usual reverse-clicky much like on the Fenix lights, although you have partially depress the button longer to get it to change modes; it's more finnicky. The levels are high>low>slow strobe>fast strobe; there is no memory for last setting if you leave the light off for more than a couple of seconds. The fast isn't as fast as the L2D-CE from what I remember; the strobe modes are just not something I've paid attention to, to be honest...

Neonentity

Newly Enlightened
I picked up the 1AA version. It is a well-made flashlight with a decent one-handable clickie. The UI is OK, but has one too many strobes and could use a lower "low."
It is a bit long for pocket carry, but has a decent clip.

Skip the alkaline and NiMh.
The output is absolutely brilliant with a 14500. It clobbers my C3 and looks better on a wall than my P2D-CE.

The Fenix has a bit better throw due to the smooth reflector, but the C8's beam is "whiter" and has a nice, clean spot beam with good sidespill from the OP reflector. The squared-off sidespill from the crenellations doesn't detract from the performance at all.

VERY nice light! :twothumbs
-N