Cree Stock

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too late to buy Cree stocks?

I have a quite meager student income, and looking for ways to increase it a bit (to buy more flashlights :)), and was thinking about buying some stock.
I havent done any research at all yet, but with the latest creevolution it's hard not to considering buying some Cree shares. Do you think I missed the train, or will the stock rise more? Any other CPFs who has bought some shares?

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Too late to buy Cree stocks?

It sounds risky. If Cree is seen as competing with its customers, won't the customers switch to Seoul LEDs?

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Damn, just read that article. My impeccable timing...

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast

"...He predicts that Cree's stock will fall an additional 50 percent over the next year..."

Doesn't sound like now is the time to buy.

OCEANBEAMER

Newly Enlightened

Well after a lot of reading and a chat with my stockbroker I bought a chunk of cree stock.....the ny stock exchange came up with a list of 300 companies in the whole world that held the most valuable patents for future developement(income$$) and cree was on that list..........good enough for me but ,but invest with your own financial situation in mind.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I owned Cree stock a couple years ago. You don't want to get me started on stock investing - believe me you really don't. Stock share prices have little to do with whether a company has a successful product. The stock market is sheer INSANITY. Anything can tank a stock or shoot it up short term. I personally think Cree is one of the stocks I would call 'manipulated' - by who and how I won't say but it is definitely not anything I would put money on even knowing what Cree has in their LED as well as the overall feeling that LED's are going to get bigger and bigger in the future. This is just my personal opinion based on being a full time trader for over a year. There are other stocks that would likely do much better but don't ask me to recommend any ( a good way to loose friends when the very finicky and insane stock market tanks a particular stock you just recommended ).

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Okay I said don't get me started :crackup: anyway here's a couple stats for you:
Cree stock is DOWN 45% in the last 52 weeks (1 year)
Cree stock is DOWN over 3.5% today.
The Short % of Float (as of 12-Feb-07) is 11.70% <--- this means over 1 out of every 10 investors is counting on the share price going DOWN (AND they will make money when it does) BTW shorting a stock tends to take more funds to hold it short than to buy and hold it.
83% of the stock is held by Institutions which is a good sign UNTIL their super sharp investors decide there is a reason to sell than the stock can go down faster than lead balloon.
Matrix Research (no relation) and another analyst's last three official Opinions on this stock have ranged from 'Strong Sell' to 'Sell' - meaning don't buy it at this time and if you own it then don't hold - Sell it - get rid of it like it's a bad infection.
All of this can change drastically at the whim of the market so Cree could be worth double next year BUT I would not put money on it....

Last edited:

Vermonter73

Enlightened

Seems like the various ratings are how the stock-shysters manipulate the market.

If a company truly has a good product, and good management, they will do well.

I've heard Cree had some management issues. Hopefully they are getting resolved. They do have a very good product and are piling up good contracts.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hm, I think I'll stay clear from this one then, or at least until I have funds enough so I can afford to lose money.
Thanks for all the advice and help, good people.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Noticed shares of Cree stock moving upward

Wonder if investers have taken notice of the company...or just a blimp?

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Noticed shares of Cree stock moving upward

I made purchases when Cree Announced the XR-E there were some bumpy times but it seems to be going up now.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I just bought 65 shares at $18.48. Hope it moves up. I see it`s 52 week hi was $31.20. Be great if it could return there...or better. Plays well into the conserve energy, solar ect. concept we seem to be moving toward. And it might help pay for all the lights I buy:D

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't know if it'll hit it's 52 Week high again. There's a lot of competition out there. From an investor's point of view I don't know if it was wise to buy in at $18 a share when it was floating at 17 for so long.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Up 8.49% today...hope it holds...moves up more. I`m up a hundred off my $1000 investment in just 2 days.

axolotls

Enlightened

Over the past year it hit near $40 and back in 2000 it hit $100.

I bought a little back at $15.84. So, maybe a 25% jump in a few months :)

The question is... how long are you going to ride it before getting out? Easy come, easy go.

Phredd

Enlightened

I bought a while back when a rumor came out that Apple would start using LEDs for display backlights. Today, they announced their 3rd quarter results and earnings were down ONLY 12%. The street expected worse, so stock went up.

Phredd

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Did you guys read their annual report? Might want to before investing. Sometimes we get enamored with something cool, new technology, etc and blindly go into a company's stock based on the cool factor. But there's more to a company's revenue than that which we think should send their stock soaring. This is not meant as investment advice, rather it's a reminder to perform due diligence...