Leatherman Micra, cleaning

Nicoby

Newly Enlightened
i have an old lethearman micra, and would like to clean it to bring it to its luster. what do you recommend to clean multi-tools? dirt and dine dust in its joints.

Thank you.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Dunk it in some soapy warm water for a few hours, then use toothpicks to pick out the grime - repeat as necessary, then rinse, dry, and lube the joints.

mahoney

Enlightened
Kroil, WD-40, and/or rubbing alcohol usually work on the gunk that's not water soluable. If it's still not shiny enough to suit, there's always Flitz or Simichrome.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
I used ProGold Lubricant's PG-2000 to clean my Micra a couple months ago.

It's different than the ProGold cleaner used on electrical contacts... it's a chain cleaner that's much better for metal-to-metal cleaning and lubricating than WD-40. I use it for my bike chain (Migs - you should try this stuff - it's regarded as one of the better chain lubes out there). It comes in "ProLink" chain lube squeeze bottles, or the PG2000 spray can - same stuff (I checked with ProGold - the ProLink is barely thicker, to the point of not being able to tell), just two different ways of applying it.

It went on the joints of my Micra, which I thought was so mucked up and stiff that it wouldn't be salvageable, and it brought it right back to life!

:shrug: john

NeitherExtreme

Newly Enlightened
What I would do? I'd use WD-40 to clean out all the junk. I'd use a toothpick, old toothbrush, or whatever if it needs more. Then I'd let it dry, and after that I'd put a little oil on it, especially the pivots. I don't think there's really a wrong way to do it though. Within reason, of course :D

CLHC

Flashaholic
After cleaning it out, you may wish to use TUF Cloth by Sentry Solutions.

Enjoy!

Flymo

Newly Enlightened
NEVER use WD40 !!, its crap, wash it with a chaincleaner and a drop machine oil, thats it.
WD-40 is a deep penetrating oil, and go's everywhere, even on places you don't wanted and after a while it wil rust like hell.

icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
evilgrin07.gif

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leatherman tools will rust. Make sure you dry it well and I would use Sentry Solutions' Tuf-Cloth and/or Tuf-Glide (a dry lube & protectant). A wax based lube like KryTech or White Lightning might keep some dirt from working back into the pivots.

Toothpicks and cotton swaps (you can pull off a bit of the cotton if it won't quite fit) will clean out the stubborn grit and grime from the small spaces. It will take a bit of time. Leatherman tools in my experience will tarnish and wear a bit so you probably won't be able to get it back to brand new condition, but it should clean up well.

Hope this helps.