LA Police Gear
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: List of most of Surefire's Tailcap Switches - with IMAGES

Default Re: List of most of Surefire's Tailcap Switches - with IMAGES

My Z41-BK for my 9P doesn't have the dimple in the knurling. It does have the groove on the edge of the tailcap....im guessing the Z41-BK pic you have is the old version?

Steve

Default Anatomy Of A Z59

Anatomy of a Z59 (C Series) click-on, lock-out tailcap (previous revision):

Below are comparative looks at the latest Z59 assembly revision versus the previous:

Past failures could usually be attributed to the loosening of the assembly (possible dethreading from the tailcap shell) and slippage of the plastic toothed parts.
    Last edited by adamlau; 03-03-2008 at 05:36 PM.
    强光手电是我最爱得

First of all, apologies if something I'm about to say appears above... I tried to skim the thread as well as I could, but did so with a background din of three happy, crazy little boys running around trashing the house! Please take pity on me if I missed something.

E-Series Clickies

I've noticed there have been several generations of these... in rough chronological order...

1. Z57 on L4, which had a tendency to get stuck in the on position. A few longtime CPFers had discovered a recipe for surgically correcting the problem. These have been off the market for quite some time, replaced with later revisions of the Z57.

2. Z57 with less tendency to stick, but still not perfect. Typically doesn't require surgery. This one has a black plastic post holding the spring on the inside.

3. Z57 with further improvement on the smoothness front. This one looks similar on the inside to #2 above, except the spring post is made from white plastic rather than black.

4. The clicky introduced with the E1B contains yet another revision of the clicky guts. The plastic spring post remains white but there is a solid metal ring around it. Seems to be the softest, smoothest, and quietest action yet.

SW01 Terminology

It's become commonplace for folks to refer to the more aggressive SW01 as the 'fatty'... not sure what the more refined one is called though... 'thinny'?

Speaking personally, I've been known to have nicknames for the versions of the SW01 related to what they remind me of... the more aggressive is the 'millstone' and the more refined is the 'bakers cap.'

--Scott

Woo Hoo, it been listed in a sticky thread...

Now, does anyone (? Size15's) know the z-number of the new E1B backup tailcap. And a better image than the one I have.

Steve, you'd be right, the Z41-BK image is different to the one off my 9P. I'd say the dimple in the knurling is an older style.

Regards
    Dave
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by tazambo View Post
    Now, does anyone (? Size15's) know the z-number of the new E1B backup tailcap. And a better image than the one I have.
    It has no Z-number that I'm aware of (although I've not been keeping track recently.

Since it is only used by one model I doubt it'll have one.

Flashaholic

Very useful info! Thanks much...

Any chance we could expand to include the interchangeable heads?

Last edited by Buffalohump; 05-20-2008 at 05:22 AM.
    Wolf Eyes Raider 9DX / Surefire L2 / Novatac 85P / HDS 42XR / Peak LED Caribbean brass / Fenix L2D Rebel / Peak LED Matterhorn 3LED HA / Inova X03 / Inova X5 / Fenix E1

I'd also be interested in a different thread listing the various SureFire bezels, with pictures. I'm sure plenty of people would find this to be a useful resource with the popularity of SureFire "lego" as it is. Unfortunately my knowledge of the Z-numbers for anything other than tailcaps is poor at best.

Regards,
    Tempest
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Currently looking for: SureFire E1W - PM with offers

Default Re: List of most of Surefire's Tailcap Switches

Z52 - Natural HA twisty lockout (E series)(*Discontinued*)

Please do not taunt me with pictures of the venerable Z52. I am still waiting for Surefire to ship out my not so venerable replacement Z57...
    Z57 - Natural HA clicky (E series)

Stupid thing! I have no idea why they changed it. My little E1e is not getting any love now that it does not work. I have written to Surefire, indicating my disgust at the Z57, and requesting the return of the Z52 .

Great post :, really good info, especially for those wanting to indulge in a little LEGO.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalohump View Post
    Very useful info! Thanks much...

Any chance we could expand to include the interchangeable heads?
    +1

OK, here's a new one for you guys. This is the same as the Z52, but BLACK. No, it's not a Z54 though. Here's a partial ordered list of sorts of the versions of black E Series hotwires:

1) E2-BK = all black Type II with finish similar to a black "Classic" Series light (ex.: 6P)
    2) E2e-BK = black HAIII body and head, standard Type II Z54 tailcap - these were shipped this way, even though the tailcaps didn't fully match.
    3) E2e-HA-BK = ALL black HAIII, including push/twist tailcap - somewhere between 20 and 50 of these, from what I'm told (this is one of those with no Z number)
    2) E2e-BK or E2e-HA-BK = ALL black HAIII, including tailcap - Z61 tailcap

I've posted about the light here.

Last edited by Beretta1526; 06-30-2008 at 07:52 AM.
    "I've got a mind like a steel trap, things wander in... and get mangled"
    --Fabbrica d'Armi P. Beretta, dal 1526
    "I've confused my intentions with my abilities"

Beretta1526,
    What's "HAII" ?

So you're saying it's a Z54 except the Black is type III (HA) rather than type II

Flashaholic*

Cool Re: List of most of Surefire's Tailcap Switches - with IMAGES

Quote Originally Posted by Size15's View Post
    Beretta1526,
    What's "HAII" ?

So you're saying it's a Z54 except the Black is type III (HA) rather than type II
    Size15's,
    That's correct. Apparently there were so few made, Surefire never even had a model designation for the tailcap. For more info check out the Marketplace sales thread:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=165161

And thread in the Incan section:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=201404
    Last edited by ampdude; 06-29-2008 at 07:36 PM.
    ampdude

Beretta1526,
    What's "HAII" ?

HAII is the shiny finish on the "Classic" series lights, the Satin Gray E2e, and on a MagLite. I don't recall where my documentation is on all the different types of anodization, but there are even different classifications for HAIII-Nat and HAIII with the black tint. IIRC, the black dye/tint makes it HA Type III, Class B or something like that. I'll see if I can find the documentation.

Anyway, the tailcap is the same exact finish as the rest of the light, like the Z61 tailcaps are. The old Z54 tailcaps (shiny) are HA Type II, which is not as durable as Type III. EDIT: Your purple A2 is most likely HAII. HAII is much easier to use colors and/or tints, as it doesn't change the structure of the aluminum nearly as much. The E2e-CJ and C2-CJ are also HAII.

Last edited by Beretta1526; 06-29-2008 at 08:00 PM.

I think Size15's was referring to the term "HAII"... It's either HAIII or Type II. No such thing as HAII

Enlightened

thanks,very useful.

The term "HAII" is like saying "Hard Anodised Soft".
    As mentioned anodisation can be either type II or type III. It can't be both as the processes are very different.

Another name for type III is 'Hardcoat' or 'Hard Anodised' (HA).

Within the [US] Military Specification MIL-A-8625 for type III anodised finish are two 'classes' - Class 1 has no dye (ie Natural), Class 2 has dye.

Ah, now I get what you mean. It's been so long since I've been around, I forgot a few things.

I'll correct the post with the TC pics.

Flashaholic

Wow, some of you folks really know alot about SF tailcaps! I got to this thread while looking for a twisty tailcap for my E1B but it looks like I'm about out of luck right? Here's hoping Size15's proves me wrong (seems like he's good at that ). Does anyone out there have a twisty tailcap of any color that they can part with that will work on the E1B? Please PM me if you do and we can work something out.
    why did we ever come down from the trees

Anyone know if there were 2 versions of the scalloped tailcap on the e2d? There are 2 pictures on the e2d section of the SF sight. One cap looks completely flat while the other has a sort of gradient slope to it.
    siamo il rumore

Quote Originally Posted by RyanA View Post
    Anyone know if there were 2 versions of the scalloped tailcap on the e2d? There are 2 pictures on the e2d section of the SF sight. One cap looks completely flat while the other has a sort of gradient slope to it.
    The one you are referring to was a proto-type. I'm not aware of any having escaped SureFire.

Thanks Size 15's. That one looks really nice. Probably not so healthy for the hands though. I guess it has to be relegated to wallpaper status.
    siamo il rumore

Flashaholic

Great info!!!

Is the Z68 an official Surefire product?

Reason is, I want to purchase it for my E1B but I can't find it on Surefire's website.

Batteryjunction also doesn't sell it. Only place I can find it is Brightguy.

An ebay seller who sells only Surefires hasn't heard of it before.

What other options are there of a grippier E1B?

Thanks

SureFire have so many products not every dealer, nor SureFire's public face website can showcase them all.
    Any Dealer should be able to order one for you - you'll need to contact the Dealer specifically requesting it.

Al

I want to replace the stock 9P tailcap (Twistie lock-out) with a clickie that can stand on the tail...

There are many clickies listed but none appear to be tail-standable...

The Z49 is a clicky that will fit on your 9P. It has a rubber shroud around the button and will allow the light to tailstand.

Quote Originally Posted by etc View Post

There are many clickies listed but none appear to be tail-standable...
    That does seem to be the case...

Some people have mentioned that the rubber shroud on the Z48, Z49 and SW02 is firm enough to allow tailstanding, and they all fit the 9P. I'm not sure I'd want to rely on it though, especially with a long(ish) light like the 9P.

There are a couple of E-series tailcaps that can tailstand.

Regards,
    Tempest
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Currently looking for: SureFire E1W - PM with offers

What is the Zxx number for the G3 tailcap? Maybe I'm going crazy, but I thought the G2 and G3 lock-out tailcaps are slightly different.

Also, is there a definitive number for the E2D scalloped tailcap (as compared to the non-scalloped one from the scoutlight?

Thanks,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
    What is the Zxx number for the G3 tailcap? Maybe I'm going crazy, but I thought the G2 and G3 lock-out tailcaps are slightly different.
    The G3/G3L uses the same LockOut TailCap as the G2Z/G2ZL. It's a different style to the G2/G2L LOTC. It doesn't have a Z-number.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
    Also, is there a definitive number for the E2D scalloped tailcap (as compared to the non-scalloped one from the scoutlight?
    No - the E2DL/E2D crenelated TailCap does not have a Z-number, unlike the shrouded clickie TailCap used by the ScoutLight which is the Z68.
    (btw, in SureFire terminology scallops are gentle whereas crenelations are aggressive)

The G3/G3L uses the same LockOut TailCap as the G2Z/G2ZL. It's a different style to the G2/G2L LOTC. It doesn't have a Z-number.

No - the E2DL/E2D crenelated TailCap does not have a Z-number, unlike the shrouded clickie TailCap used by the ScoutLight which is the Z68.
    (btw, in SureFire terminology scallops are gentle whereas crenelations are aggressive)
    Cool, thanks for the info Size15's
    Out of curiosity (I apologize if this is getting too off topic), will SureFire generally sell non z-numbered tailcaps if you call them (such as the G3/G2Z or the E2D/L tailcap) or is CPFMP one's best bet?

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest UK View Post
    That does seem to be the case...

Some people have mentioned that the rubber shroud on the Z48, Z49 and SW02 is firm enough to allow tailstanding, and they all fit the 9P. I'm not sure I'd want to rely on it though, especially with a long(ish) light like the 9P.

There are a couple of E-series tailcaps that can tailstand.

Regards,
    Tempest
    I want something (1) clickie (2) ability to tail-stand with metal instead of rubber shroud... One would think that it's a pretty basic setup.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast