Scorpion .........lumens

zpaulg

Newly Enlightened
Apologies if this is a repeat thread, tried search function and didn't find the answer!

How many lumens does the Scorpion give out?

Thanks in advance, I know someone on CPF will know......

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apologies if this is a repeat thread, tried search function and didn't find the answer!

How many lumens does the Scorpion give out?

Thanks in advance, I know someone on CPF will know......

incandescent Scorpion: http://www.brightguy.com/products/Streamlight_Scorpion_Flashlight.php
(lumen info on the product webpage)

LED Scorpion: http://www.brightguy.com/products/Streamlight_Scorpion_LED_Flashlight.php
(lumen info on the product webpage)

of course there are [semi-]hotwire variations: Strion bulb with 1x18650 cell for power - maybe 116lumens??? at least the standard Strion has 116lumens; really don't know about this modified version.

hope this helps.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
If streamlight uses inflated lumen ratings than don't you have to multiply 116 by .65?
So that would be more like 75.4 lumens.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If streamlight uses inflated lumen ratings than don't you have to multiply 116 by .65?
So that would be more like 75.4 lumens.

don't have the slightest idea how SL determines their lumen ratings and whether they use bulb or torch lumens. hopefully, someone else who knows how they determine their lumen ratings and whether they use bulb or torch lumens will reply.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Scorpion LED can be modded with a SSC emitter for >100 lumens and extreme throw. Check out the link in my sig for more info.

The numbers Gunner posted for the stock lights sound right. My Scorpion LED was about 40 lumens I estimated.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure about the lumens, but I've got an incan Scorpion (my second "real" flashlight) and can tell you that it throws incredibly well for it's size. I've brought it to several firework shows and when the lights go down, I'm in the stands and the field (usually a football field) is full of people, I sweep the light back and forth across the people and it looks like spotlight at a concert. It'll sweep across the entire field. My mom always tells me that the police are going to come get me because I shouldn't be shining such a bright light on people! She thinks that since it's so bright, it must be illegal!

Size15's

Flashaholic
Bare in mind that ratings are notoriously difficult to compare.
From 'Flashlight Reviews'

SureFire 6P (etc) - 84 lumens (SureFire rating 65 lumens)
SureFire A2 - 93 lumens (SureFire rating 50 lumens)

Streamlight Scorpion - 94 lumens (Streamlight rating 114 lumens)

Pelican PM6 - 92 lumens (Pelican rating 74 lumens)

The conclusion I draw from this is that the differences between the output measured by Flashlight Reviews are not significant and yet the beam intensities measured are far more varied. This seems to means that the beams of each flashlight are quite different. From personal observation I know this to be the case.

The bottom line of this for me is that the lumen rating does not tell me anything about the beam, nor anything else about the flashlight feature and is therefore almost pointless.
The real test of a flashlight is in the using of it (or at least handling it in store)

Techmedic

Enlightened
To respectfully add to Size 15's post;

The numbers from Flashlight reviews can be roughly interpreted such that if:

-the overall and throw numbers are the same or close, the beam may be flood like with likely no central hotspot

-the throw (throw="hotspot") number is in the order of 1.5x the overall number, the beam may be rather narrow

-from personal observation if the throw numbers is about 1.3x the overall, the beam has average throw with useable spill. This typically represents the average light.

IF the beam is completely narrow, laser-like, the overall and throw MAY be very close, so, the beamshots (if present) and descriptions are truly part of interpreting the numbers.

Keep in mind your intended use vs. what the numbers indicate.

Keep also in mind that manufacturers may change the lamp, LED, and/or the reflector/optics making the overall and throw different.

For example, Surefire recently changed the KL-1 on the E1L and E2L to have some spill. Therefore the numbers would change.

Enjoy.