Wanted to do a good thing... and got rewarded!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Today, I got a Black Night-ops Gladius & a PentagonLight X3 for only $260. :party:

How did I get such a nice bargain?.... By wanting to help out an aquaintence. First, a bit of background:

This aquaintence sells lights, fantasy sculptures, money-clips, and a few other things. He used to sell knives, and I used to buy from him a few times. Recently, the city decided that the tactical folders he used to sell were illegal gravity knives. (Gotta love those vague statutes). :rolleyes:

Anyway, they not only confiscated his inventory, but even went to his house and confiscated his private collection. Again, they declared his folding knives as being illegal. Yet, the city didn't go after the Big-Name places like Target or Wal-Mart that currently sell the same types of knives the cops confiscated from him! Hmm.... how odd.

This happened awhile ago. He's decided to fight, rather than roll over. The city wants him to take a plea-deal, which would include a year in jail. He's using up his Life Savings to fight the city. It's obvious at this point that they want to make an example of him. They're still trying to get him to take the deal. It's been almost 2 years now. They're threatening to take the case to a Grand Jury.... And he's fine with that! Their case is weak, they know it!

But, I feel bad for the guy. Imagine if you were in his shoes. A legit businessman, being treated like this! He's not taking any chances, and no longer sells knives. He sells a few high-end lights. Mostly from PentagonLights.

I wanted to add to my collection, and decided to help him out at the same time. When I got there, I noticed two Pentagon models that looked promising. An X3 and an S2. Both in black. I also noticed a black Night-Ops Gladius. What struck me was that the Gladius was much less expensive than what it normally sold for in a Brick & Mortar store in NYC. (BTW, that would be about $325)!

Not really a fan of the Gladius. But the tailcap on this example was not loose or flimsy like I had seen on another model sold at another B&M store. Then, before I knew it, he made me a sweet deal! I didn't know how much I'd spend at his shop, but I planned to spend no more than $300. I ended up spending $260 for both the Gladius & the Pentagon X3. I couldn't pass up a deal like that! Granted, I got it for being a long-time customer. But that was still sweet!

Moral of the story :
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do a good deed, and you might get rewarded.... even in a "Flashaholic" kinda way. :thumbsup:

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Yet, the city didn't go after the Big-Name places like Target or Wal-Mart that currently sell the same types of knives the cops confiscated from him! Hmm.... how odd.

I hope you told him to take some pictures of the showcases.....I think it would be a big help for his case.

Nice snag on the lights too.

Bill

Monocrom

Flashaholic
To: GarageBoy -

I have a feeling it's the same guy. Ask him what his best-selling item currently is.... If he says it's a certain belt-buckle, then it's him. Definitely a good guy who just wanted to make a legit Living off of something he enjoyed. BTW, I haven't forgotten about that list of NYC stores that sell lights. The nature of my job changed, and now I barely have time to eat & sleep before going back to work. I should have the complete list in just a few more days.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To: Braddah Bill -

An excellent suggestion! He already has done that. He's got so much good evidence on his side, that a Grand Jury would have to be blind not to see it. Thing is, the city knows it too! That's why they keep trying to press him to take the deal.

bouncer

Enlightened
It's been along time but I used to go to Manhattan and there were more stores selling knives, batons, pepper spray everything you can imagine most of which was illegal. Is your friend the only one their prosecuting ? PM me the locationof his shop the next time I get down to NYC I'd like to look him up I've been looking for something from pentagon lights if he stocks them I'll buy from him always nice to help someone out who needs it.

Ps the law may have changed but when I was 16 (wow that was a loooong time ago) I was thumbing through New York (upstate) and I was picked up by the state police and I was umm carrying some items for my personal protection including a cheap dagger and multiple folders and was told it was not against the law in New York

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It's been along time but I used to go to Manhattan and there were more stores selling knives, batons, pepper spray everything you can imagine most of which was illegal. Is your friend the only one their prosecuting ? PM me the location of his shop the next time I get down to NYC I'd like to look him up I've been looking for something from pentagon lights if he stocks them I'll buy from him always nice to help someone out who needs it.

Check your inbox. Also, yeah; I remember those shops. Most of them closed down. Ironically, on their own. City had nothing to do with it. Any property in Manhattan is now outrageously expensive. I guess a lot of those places could no longer afford the rent, or the ones owned outright decided to sell.

As far as I know, he's the only one the city is going after. A few other small knife shops got off with a stern warning. (I know cause I spoke with the owners of those shops).

Monocrom

Flashaholic
what, particularly, was the good deed that you did?

I wanted to help the guy out. I've known him for about a decade, actually. Those were better times I guess....

It's not like I could just hand him a couple hundred bucks. But, he sells a variety of items. And I did remember seeing a couple of PentagonLight models the previous time I was there. But at that time, I had never heard of PentagonLights. I honestly didn't know if they were quality lights, or not. Thanks to this site, I found out.

I figured I'd get one or a couple of models, add to my collection, and spend the money at the shop of someone I knew.... As opposed to going to other B&M shops in NYC that sell high-quality lights. For example, there's 3 authorized Surefire dealers on Manhattan that I know of. It would be only a bit of a walk to visit all of them. I've bought from them before, only one of them cheated me. Will buy from the other two again. But like I said, I wanted to help the guy out. And I've stated why. So, I went to his shop. The Surefire E2e and M6 models can wait. Thing is, when I got to his shop, he had a Night-Ops Gladius there. I examined it. The tailcap was not as flimsy as I had seen on other models at other shops. While I was looking at it, he made me a deal!

Like I said, I only intended to pick up one or two Pentagon models. The Gladius was an impulse-buy. And I got it for a better price from a B&M store than some CPFers do online. A Pentagon X3 retails for $120. I got it, and the Gladius for $260. You do the math....

That was my reward for helping out someone, in the small way I could, who really doesn't deserve the $#^% he's going through.