MAG 2D mod

FreeBSDboy

Newly Enlightened
I have an old mag 2D that needs to put out more light. I plan to get a mag 5D Magnum Star Krypton bulb (7.5V nom) for it and drive it with 6 AA NIMH's in series (7.2V nom). My only problem is getting 6 AA batteries to stay in the flashlight tube and be easily replaceable. I was thinking I might buy some cheapie D rechargables and *******ize them to hold AA's, but I'm not sure that's the best way to go about it. Any other ideas?

FreeBSDboy

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, but the dimensions are too big to fit into the stock tube of a Mag. Thanks for the site though, lots of usefull stuff!

FreeBSDboy

Newly Enlightened
I thought about that, and I actually was looking for xenon bulbs for a while, but I could not find one in the appropriate voltage range. The most I can easily fit into the 2D tube is 6 AA's, which is 7.2V using NiMH rechargables. This flashlight might also serve me for emergency work so I don't want to overdrive something from a reliability standpoint. Anyone know where I can find a ~7.2V xenon bulb?

Illuminated

Enlightened
Mag 2D:

(3) 1/2D Powerstream cells for 3.6V high current drive

Custom-potted Carley #805 Xenon lamp: 3.7V/1.6A/5.9w/11.8CP

UCL lens from Chris @ flashlightlens.com (Nice!)

Used Lambda's clear spray texturizing trick on stock reflector (recommend using high-heat clear) (Thanks Kevin!)

Made 1/2" x 33mm dia alum "slug" to use as battery spacer since 1/2D cells are 37mm length vs 60mm std.

Overall result:

Very easy to set up - really wouldn't technically call it a mod

130 lumens output or so for well over 1 hour, and is rechargeable

Night/Day improvement over brightest 2-cell (non-LED) setup I've seen to date. I now will use the light where as I would not previously.

Hope this helps - John

FreeBSDboy

Newly Enlightened
Soloco:
Yeah, but what would be the point? I'd have less power density than 6 high capicity NiMH AA's and a higher current draw. The runtime would be too short to be usefull to me.

Illuminated:
That would work nicely, but for now I don't think I'll take that route. With the 3.6V 1.6A bulb and the 1/2 D batteries (3.8 ah) I get an approximated runtime of 2.33 hours. With a 7.2V (.7A) bulb and 6 1.8 ah NiMH AA's I can get a runtime that should be slightly longer with a 5W output. And I would be much willing to sacrifice .9w of light output for the convienence of using my existing AA's and not having to purchase sets of 1/2D batteries.

Of course I say that now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm sure I'll get tired of it eventually and want more. But I'm also on a tight budget at the moment unfortunately.

Edit: Also, where can I find info on the spray texturizing trick? Any idea how it compares to the Write Right trick?

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
FreeBSDboy said:
Yeah, but the dimensions are too big to fit into the stock tube of a Mag. Thanks for the site though, lots of usefull stuff!

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought 15 of these in MrBulk's group buy right here on CPF and they fit perfectly in all my Mag 2D's (UN-modified battery tube).

Illuminated

Enlightened
Read Lambda's posts on spraying reflectors to add beam smoothing texture. Search the "Homemade..." forum using the word "krylon".

I've tried it several times and it is a worthwhile improvement. It doesn't reduce overall light output as much as WriteRight, but still requires a fairly well-centered filament to get best results.

Might want to practice on old or cheap reflectors to get the hang of it. (Replacements for the Mag are less than $4)Very short, light blasts from a distance (kind of like "overspray") blur or blend minor artifacts but don't eliminate them.

Multiple applications to build an "orange peel" type heavier texture will require one last "wetting" application to change the dull frosted appearance to clear and reflective again. Mine turned out much like the PT40 relector.

I suggest using the high heat engine enamel type clear, rated for 500 deg.

WriteRight probably smooths a little better, but does reduce output and "whiteness" more noticeably.

FWIW - John

FreeBSDboy

Newly Enlightened
Illuminated: Thanks. I had been searching but I must not have used the right keywords.

Mr. Bulk: Thanks. Actually I was searching late last night reading old threads trying to catch up to you guys and stumbled across it.

But honestly, I was all happy and set to do all this until I saw the threads on Lambda's Megaclops. Hehe, and now I just HAVE to build something based on a 5W luxeon High Dome. I have an idea on how I might be able to modify my Mag such that it is still focusable with the LS (a focusable LS would be damn cool), but I have to read up on the thermal design guidelines and see if it would work without having a meltdown. Going to take my time and plan it right.